Tovah update with gratitude

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tovah

Thank you all so much for taking the time and giving such thoughtful replies.

Well, the insomnia kindof paled to what my main concern now, which is that my husband is so very fatigued, doesn't feel like himself, sweating and joints painful.

We got into the cardiologist, which many of you said would be a good idea.

It pretty much went the way I expected: doc took out the stethoscope, said he didn't think there was anything wrong with the heart. Could just be a virus.

We said that we, at least, wanted a culture done (especially since my husband had a severe infection in his finger a month ago, which he took antibiotics for). He said he would do that with a CBC and we left the office.

Basically, he wants us to get things done through our PCP; but I feel we need the expertise of the cardiologist at this point.

We both mentioned endocarditis; doc looked at us like "oh I see you've been on the internet', and he got the order for that.

My husband at this time has not eaten well in 3 days and is quite ill.

We'll go back to the orthopod and see if the cut in his finger has gotten into the bone.

I thank every single one of you who took the time to help me out AGAIN.

We were really making good progress up until this week.

It just feels like we are regressing at this point.

Hey, just because we are paranoid does not mean they're NOT out to get us!!
If we learn nothing else from this surgery, we learn to be assertive, if not down right aggressive, when it comes to our medical care. We ARE fragile afterwards, at least for a while.
I hope it's nothing but the flu, but you are smart to be careful in this stage of recovery.

Thanks, Greg and Agility.

One other thing we think might be causing this is that his blood sugar was extremely high. I think they were giving him insulin in the hospital and then was stopped?

Not sure.

Any of you have blood sugar issues after surgery?

It is very common for non-diabetics to require some doses of insulin in the first days post op.
My first surgery I did not but four years later at my second OHS, I learned they administered insulin to me several times as a spike in blood sugar is common after this surgery even in non-diabetics. They tested me for several days to assure I was back to my normal level and stopped the insulin. Apparently they have learned keeping blood sugar under control immediately post op aids in healing.

Thanks, Greg and Agility.

One other thing we think might be causing this is that his blood sugar was extremely high. I think they were giving him insulin in the hospital and then was stopped?

Not sure.

Any of you have blood sugar issues after surgery?

I didn't have insulin issues, but like your husband, I was given it in the hospital.

Elevated blood glucose levels can certainly persist (my insulin dosage (already diabetic) was elevated for months) beyond the hospital stay too which makes infection much more likely as well. If it is ongoing, it's best to get it monitored and under control ASAP.

I hope your husband is feeling better. I caught the flu about a month post-op and didn't know where to turn. The cardiologist said it wasn't their issue, my PCP told me I was just plain old sick from a virus. But, I was already weak as a kitten from the surgery. Sigh. After that, I caught bronchitis. Suffice it to say that coughing during the chest healing process is less than fun. It's not easy to know where/to whom to turn when you feel so fragile and even a common cold just doesn't feel common when you are in the throws of post-op.

I wish you all the best for a speedy recovery.

Latest posts

Back