Tooth extraction....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a molar out a few months ago, my INR was checked in the morning, extraction in the afternoon and my INR was 3.4. There was no bleeding, the dentist packed and stitched the gum. He said there was no need to come off warfarin or even to reduce it, he did give me antibiotic cover. My dentist is one of the consultants at the dental department at the hospital and if he says it is ok then it is ok.

Good to know Sue, thank you! I need some dental work done like you Woodbutcher (& I found you're telling the dentist not to be a baby very funny lol!). But now I can relax as well, when seeing the dreaded dentist. LOL. :p

Like most of the people here my Dentist did not have me stop the warfarin to have a tooth taken out but he did give me antibiotic cover. One point after my VR my gums would bleed almost every time I would brush my teeth. My Dentist had me come in to have my teeth cleaned like I had never had done before he had to deaden my complete mouth and he was digging around in there like he was looking for gold this went on every 3 weeks for 3 months. Now he has me in every 3 months for cleaning which requires no deadening and I have to work to have any bleeding no mater what I do.

Justin,

I always have the antibiotic. My dentist won't do a cleaning, or extraction without it.

It's DONE ! It was horrible too ! The dentist was so nervous that it made me even more nervous than I was already ! Bombarded me with questions like, have you had your inr tested, are you sure you want to do this, what exactly is wrong with your heart ?! Then just after he'd done the first numbing injection he expressed his fears about me not having antibiotic cover ! It's not prescribed or required anymore by dentists here in the UK. Freddies reminder had been playing on my mind so I'd taken a full dose of antibiotic an hour before my operation but not told him, he seemed more relaxed when I told him I'd taken it !
What a horrible experience, 20 minutes of wrenching later, out it came with it's long bloody roots, and guess what, it didn't bleed ! He said that a patient not taking Warfarin would bleed more than I did ?? I tell you what, it's all a load of hot air and there's far too much fear surrounding the use of Warfarin.
The numbing has worn off now and it's not hurting too much or bleeding at all... I even took my big old tooth out of the tray and put it in my pocket, I'll have a look at it later !

It's DONE ! It was horrible too ! The dentist was so nervous that it made me even more nervous than I was already ! Bombarded me with questions like, have you had your inr tested, are you sure you want to do this, what exactly is wrong with your heart ?! Then just after he'd done the first numbing injection he expressed his fears about me not having antibiotic cover ! It's not prescribed or required anymore by dentists here in the UK. Freddies reminder had been playing on my mind so I'd taken a full dose of antibiotic an hour before my operation but not told him, he seemed more relaxed when I told him I'd taken it !
What a horrible experience, 20 minutes of wrenching later, out it came with it's long bloody roots, and guess what, it didn't bleed ! He said that a patient not taking Warfarin would bleed more than I did ?? I tell you what, it's all a load of hot air and there's far too much fear surrounding the use of Warfarin.
The numbing has worn off now and it's not hurting too much or bleeding at all... I even took my big old tooth out of the tray and put it in my pocket, I'll have a look at it later !

See. Told ya so. hehe.

If you can, post a pic of the thing. Sure it might gross out a couple people, but I'd like to see if your root was anything like mine. The root was almost twice as long as the exposed tooth.

If they had put you one Lovenox or Heparin, you'd of bled and bled a whole lot. They would have blamed it on Coumadin. This is the way it works.

Just save the photo to your desktop, then click on reply to thread, say a few words in the reply box, then go down to attachement manager and upload the picture from your desktop.

Just be sure it's not loarger then 800x600 pixels and is in jpg format.

Here it is ! I think ? What a grizzly looking tooth ? The roots are massive, more than twice the depth of the tooth ! Anyway, you did ask !!
You can see quite clearly the crack in the root that was making it so painfull.

Attachments

• tooth3..jpg
    tooth3..jpg
    27 KB · Views: 91
I wish I had mine to post. My root was even longer then that! It literally had to be surgically removed.

Horses have got several bits more spectacular than mine Bina but size isn't everything you know !
I do pity you Ross if yours were longer than that, it hurt like hell having that yanked out !

Good to hear all went well Justin! Yes, even though I have a tissue valve, I am starting to understand all the nonsense about coumadin, when it comes to simple dental procedures, and surgeries. I believe the medical community could be making it alot more complicated then it needs to be! I am however, happy to hear that you took an antibiotic BEFORE this momentous tooth extraction!

I do pity you Ross if yours were longer than that, it hurt like hell having that yanked out !

I'm happy I was put out for all of mine. The Surgeon said that nearly all of mine were double the length on the root end and pratically fused to my jaw bone.

It's DONE ! It was horrible too ! The dentist was so nervous that it made me even more nervous than I was already ! Bombarded me with questions like, have you had your inr tested, are you sure you want to do this, what exactly is wrong with your heart ?! Then just after he'd done the first numbing injection he expressed his fears about me not having antibiotic cover ! It's not prescribed or required anymore by dentists here in the UK. Freddies reminder had been playing on my mind[/B] so I'd taken a full dose of antibiotic an hour before my operation but not told him, he seemed more relaxed when I told him I'd taken it !

I didn't mean to play with your mind, it was just a reminder...you know.

But I must say that is one honken big tooth. Hope your feeling better today.

Too cool! All of my extractions were done conscious, with only novacaine. One group of people who like me are dentists because I am an easy patient. (Although in the new American dentistry, dentists keep trying to sell you more and more expensive procedures. My rejection of useless procedures does make me less popular with the dentists.)

I am glad you survived! Think of all of the stories you will have to tell in the pub!

Latest posts

Back