Tomato Seed Extract Thins Blood

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lily

Premium Level User
I just found this article online:

Tomato Seed Extract Thins Blood
By Justine Van Der Leun

Could millions of people trade in their daily dose of aspirin for tomato extract? On Monday, the European Commission, the European Union’s legal body, confirmed that the extract, patented as Fruitflow, contributes to healthy blood flow, and allowed manufacturers to use such claims in advertising. This is the first time such a health claim has been authorized by the Commission.

The allowance follows rigorous clinical trials out of Britain that suggest that foods and drinks fortified with Fruitflow have the same blood-thinning benefits as aspirin -- minus the harmful side effects, like gastric distress.

In 1999, while studying the particulars of the Mediterranean diet, Professor Asim Dutta-Roy, then at Aberdeen, Scotland’s Rowett Institute, found that a natural ingredient in the gel around tomato seeds promoted heart health, according to The Daily Mail. Dutta-Roy’s research showed that the tomato ingredient helped smooth platelets and prevent blood clots.

Blood clots form when platelets, usually smooth, produce tiny threads called fibrin, which is due to inflammation, according to the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. They then adhere to one another, forming clots that block arteries leading to the heart. These clots can cause stroke or heart attack. Those at risk for such illness -- including men over 50, people with heart disease or a history of heart attacks, or those in poor health from smoking, obesity, alcohol consumption, stress or high cholesterol levels -- often take aspirin for its blood-thinning effects. Aspirin therapy can also reduce the severity of a heart attack. However, aspirin increases the occurrence of gastric ulcers, abdominal bleeding and bleeding in the brain during a stroke.

Fruitflow, a ripe tomato extract that comes in syrup form, has not been shown to have any such negative effects. “To date, no side effects have been demonstrated during the development of Fruitflow,” Dutta-Roy told The Daily Mail. Instead, 10 studies -- two of which were published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition -- reported that three grams of Fruitflow were effective just three hours after consumption, making platelets smoother while leaving the rest of the blood able to clot normally in the case of injury. Regular tomato juice is subjected to multiple processing methods that degrade the gel ingredient, rendering it far less effective than its concentrated form. Plain tomatoes are also less effective because the body must slowly digest all parts of the fruit.

Fruitflow is now used in Sirco Fruit Juice, a brand only available in Britain. Its manufacturers hope to introduce the colorless, tasteless, fat- and protein-free syrup to other foods like yogurt and margarine, and to sell it in tablet and capsule forms.

MaryKa, EAT YOUR VEGGIES!:D

They help stabilize your INR if you eat them consistently. We're not allowed to eat like 5 year olds anymore, even if we want to.

I eat my veggies! (I am a vegetarian for one thing!) I LOVE greens! It is just that my INR goes crazy when I eat greens, esp. spinach and brocolli. Without home testing, I see no other options. (Oooo, I sure miss asparagus!)

I eat my veggies! (I am a vegetarian for one thing!) I LOVE greens! It is just that my INR goes crazy when I eat greens, esp. spinach and brocolli. Without home testing, I see no other options. (Oooo, I sure miss asparagus!)

Maryka:

Eat your veggies consistently. Then your dosage will be adjusted to account for the veggies (and other things). Otherwise, you're yo-yoing.

Compare it to keeping your weight fairly constant: If you have a fair consistent diet, i.e., eating about the same amount of protein, fat, carbs, veggies, fruits, grains, etc., nearly every day, it's easier to maintain your weight.
FWIW: You can get away with splurging on the weekend, but ya gotta make up come Monday morning!

:) I'm glad you all found it interesting also.

I did wonder, as I read it, how consistent or predictible the amount of anticoagulation could be. I've read that many "natural" things can evidently be inconsistent in potency; for example I recall reading that with natural thyroid extract, the glands (sometimes bovine and sometimes frog, I think) can be inconsistent in potency, among batches or lots I guess.

Oh, in regard to greens, I recall once reading a study that said maintaining a more stable INR is often easier with a higher intake of Vitamin K; but I didn't realize that solution might also require consuming a larger dose of ACT.

And also, Maryka, I remember reading that avocados can also be unpredictible with INR also --maybe you knew that-- and inconsistent among avocados also. I live near near/amongst an "avocado capitol" and love guacamole :D .

Patients on Coumadin/warfarin should not be misunderstanding this discussion.
The tomato seed extract is being compared to daily aspirin therapy, which is anti-platelet, and not anti-coagulant in nature..... it would not replace Coumadin/warfarin therapy and would not affect INR readings.
And regarding greens: I LOVE THEM and make sure to eat broccoli, asparagus, or spinach a few times a week in a sensible portion. :)

Thanks for clarifying about the anti-platelet aspect of tomatoes. As for me and greens, I have my balance now and can't afford more trips to the doctor for re-calibration of my diet. (More trips mean a lot more more money and time off my job.) I DO eat avacadoes and they have not messed me up yet.

How about chocolate?

I eat those Avacadoes and guacamole all the time. I've never noticed any change, but then I may have them adjusted for too.

Interesting. However, what the EC is allowing is this statement:
'helps maintain normal platelet aggregation, which contributes to healthy blood flow'
Which is somewhat different from the statement that it reduces platelet aggregation found in the salesperson's article. In fact, another article refers to it specifically having an effect on damaged platelets:
Derived from tomatoes and patented by Provexis, Fruitflow works by smoothing platelets in the blood. These disc-shaped structures are important for blood clotting after injury and are normally inactive. But they can become 'spiky' as a result of smoking, high cholesterol or being overweight, and in this form can inhibit blood flow by forming an unwanted clot in a blood vessel.
So...does it work for everyone? Or is it for people with damaged platelets?

They've been on and off with this product, putting it on the market, then removing it for two years, now bringing it back. It's also noteworthy that both of the corroborating studies were performed by the manufacturer.

Not saying it doesn't work, but I would like to know much more than is currently available to read.

Best wishes,

I have looked into an herbal replacement for coumadin,or atleast one that inhibits coagulation or platelette aggregation. I came up with a list of about 30-but the ones that are promising have not been studied properly. Dong Quai/Garlic/Gingko/Ginseng/Danshen are anticoagulants that increase the INR,but with Garlic,for example, these effects only last a little over an hour..can you imagine trying to remember taking a pill every hour of the day?!
Anyway ,I walked into my cardio's office with my 'list' --and got laughed at for my pains.
However ,I am still on the lookout for an herbal option and believe with testing,there may be more choices for us.
Thanks for the info Lily--Dina

This was such an interesting article to me and I've enjoyed the commenting posts, providing much food for thought.

. . . but I would like to know much more than is currently available to read . . .
Yes. And after reading your post, Bob, I also searched a little more about it. Couldn't find a whole lot.

But one thing I read said that Coca-Cola was/is interested in the product. Of course, Coca-Cola was originally some kind of health product, so long ago. So, if a person consumes a mixed drink with Coca-Cola, with a shot of Fruitflow, might they head off "sticky" platelets :D ? I also recall reading an article once that a shot of vodka can enhance the vitamins from a fruit or vegetable drink. So how might alcohol enhance Fruitflow?

Anyway, the possibilities of more natural ways to improve our situation are very appealing.

And Dina, your post got me to wondering why or if a person who may need emergency Vitamin K, for a surgery or something, can't be administered something more natural with a shorter "life" to it or something. My husband's sweet grandma died from the results of Vitamin K being administered before an emergency surgery.

I remembered reading here once about Coumadin's interesting origin too, from "coumarin" and; found this paragraph through a brief web search: A researcher by the name of Karl Paul Link, working under the aegis of the Wisconsin Alumni Research Fund (WARF), did a careful analysis of the ensilage from ranches that suffered losses and those that did not. He discovered that a chemical, dicoumorin, found in the ensilage of sweetclover hay from those ranches suffering the losses, was a powerful anticoagulant. Dicoumarin is the result of a substance called coumarin, which is the chemical which gives new-mown hay its characteristic smell, being subjected to the heat and mold in a silo, and forming a double molecule. The year of the serious losses had been an unusually warm one after the ensilage was created. [This information is from Kingsley's book "Poisonous Plants", which is one of the first serious studies of the biology of plant toxins].

Latest posts

Back