To all those who recently had surgery...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm at 11 weeks. My scar is puffy and sensitive. I have palpatation issues. As far as the rest of the healing I have no more muscle or nerve pain from the incision. I have good energy levels except the meds sometimes give me lethargy. I think off the beta blockers and Sotalol I'd be at 95% pre-Valve leak. I'm 110% better than I was before surgery.

I am 6 weeks out.

My scar turned pink in the last week, it was just white before. It is also less swollen looking. The bump at the top part of my sternum is much less swollen.

At 4 weeks I passed out and got an ambulance ride to the hospital. I ended up having my gallbladder removed, gaining 20+lbs in fluid, getting fluid around my heart (they drained 1700 ml total), fluid around my lungs (drained 700ml from the right side and 450ml from the left), and getting to spend 4 days in hospital, 3 days home, then 7 days in the hospital again. It sucked but it could have been worse. I am being watched very closely to make sure the fluid doesn't come back. If it does I will most likely need to have a pericardial window.

I started driving again 3 days ago! Freedom!!! I started cardiac rehab 10 days after my AVR. I love that. Makes me feel like a healthy person! I had to miss 2 weeks and I was so happy to get back at it yesterday! I slept 3/4 of the night last night on one pillow, with a pillow under my knees. That felt great. Now I can't wait until it doesn't hurt to sleep on my side. I am only taking Tylenol 1-2 times a day. (for the last 4 days... when I was in the hospital I was on lots of pain meds) I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I have been very lucky to have a lot of help and haven't had to do much at all around the house. I have been reading a LOT! I just keep telling myself, this too shall pass.

I am coming up on 4 months post op and everything is great. My energy levels are high, I don't feel any discomfort in my chest and I feel pretty much back to normal. I was fotunate enough that I did not have any post op complications. I was retaining some fluid and the doctor had me do an echo and concluded that nothing was wrong from that point of view. What we did determine was that this only happened when I went overboard on the sodium. I am back to running (slow) and my longest run has been 7 miles. I was planning on posting a 4 month update later next week.

Good luck with your progress.

From my own experience and what I've read of others' experiences, it seems like once you get past the 3 month mark for valve replacement, post op issues seem to recede and you feel like you're "you" again.
From my vantage point, five and a half years out, my avr seems like something I might have dreamed. I'm glad you're both feeling better.

One week out and going home today! I feel very lucky compared to what a lot of people on this forum have gone through. My pain has been minimal since day 3 and I manage it on Panadol (Tylenol). I don't need help with anything and actually never did, other than the first expedition out of bed. I am back at my usual walking speed, have no troubles bending down to pick up whatever I've dropped (I bend my legs only, not my waist, so my head and chest stay level).

My energy levels are fine although I refuse to push this recovery so I have several rests every day. I sleep through the night just fine and last night slept on my side yippee! On day 3 I was able to shower, wash my hair, shave armpits and legs - so I was back to feeling normal-ish very quickly. I didn't expect this so it was a pleasant surprise that I could reach my legs AND head!!

I just feel general soreness which is to be expected and improves every day, but I am thankful I recognised it as general muscle soreness and knew to ask for a massage to help!! Now I have the rest of the year to REST and RECUPERATE and I will be following the instructions for this religiously.

The hospital staff here is Perth, Australia (the Mount Hospital) have been wonderful and I will miss them . . . a bit . . . . :)

Best wishes to everyone and especially those of you in the 'waiting room'!

I am three months out and feeling pretty good. I've been riding a bike and even skated a little. I had to have my pericardial effusion drained 12 days post op so they reopened and lengthened my scar at the bottom. The top part of my scar looks good but the lower part is thicker. I get some irritation on the lower scar probably due to stitches that cause the skin to be elevated. I even had a stitch break through the skin at that site.
Now, my only real concern is the nerve damage in my right arm due to the cut down where the bypass machine was connected. I've had significant atrophy of the muscles around my shoulder. I've started PT for the shoulder.
All things considered, it's another day in paradise!

I am at 4.5 months and my only physical leftover is my dang chest hurts under each nipple; go fiigure.

The heart seems to take longer to calm down and act more normal. I am thinking 6 months will be the majic number.

My husband is 4 and 1/2 weeks post op. doing great. Walking over 4 miles a day and rides bike 6 or 7 miles a day. Incision healed but very noticeable yet.

I am 10 weeks post op and feeling pretty good. My energy level is much higher, but still get a bit tired at times. My scar is pretty pink and still a bit puffy at the top and a bit sensitive. Half the time I wear high things and the rest of the time I let the scar out in the open. Depends on what I am doing. When I dress up and go dancing, I usually wear higher tops that don't show off the scar.

I started PT last week. Am surprised how much I can do. Today they doubled the time and effort for the bike, treadmill, steps and other exercises. Took me up to 3 pound weights. I am starting to know how hard I can push without doing damage or getting worried. I am at the point to be able to do some fast dancing now since it is not any more diffiuclt than the PT exercises.

I am in much better shape and have more energy than the 2 months before surgery. I still have strange pains from the surgery in my healing chest when I do new things. The dog pulled on me when I took her to the vet and I ended up in my recliner for a couple nights while my chest got back to normal. It must take a long time to get that chest back to normal. Meantime, I feel really good and can't wait to get back to 100% It is amazing how little I could do the few weeks after surgery and how great I am doing 8 weeks later! My cardiologist said he will get me off warfrin next month. HOpefully, no bumps in the road will happen. I don't feel the hard heart beats any more and only had a-fib once with I jumped up out of my chair when the power came back on. I sat quietly for an hour and it all went away. YEA Control over a-fib.

Things are good and I hope that new valve loves my heart and just keeps on ticking!

Pat

Almost 4 months post-op, and I have to say the last month, month and half have been great. Had a lot of post-op issues, fluid in the lungs, Dressler's syndrome (NOT fun) and am still dealing with left arm/shoulder/back issues from being folded up like origami in the OR for so long (was in the OR for a total of 10-11 hours; they had to open me up again immediately after closing everything up) but feel great. Didn't think I was too symptomatic pre-op, but wow, I was in worse shape than I thought. Feel better now than I did pre-op. Skipped cardiac rehab at the hospital, and was put on a self-directed exercise program. Am swimming about 25-30 min 4-5 times a week, and will probably be in better shape by the end of the year than before I went in (and I was pretty active too) Gained a ton of fluid weight in hospital (spent a few weeks in the hospital in total during the first month post-op) but am now about 18lbs lighter than I was pre-op and looking to keep it off.
valve has been quietening down nicely, especially with putting some muscle back on my chest with all the swimming. Palpitations are gone, as well as skipped beats and all that other nonsense. Hopefully the heart will be remodeling nicely by the time I have my next echo. INR has been a bit squirrely, so regardless of the On-X can or can't do, it psychologically comforting to know I have that valve as the INR swings up and down.
It is amazing what they can do these days.

--Dan

I will be two weeks post-op tomorrow but just in the last couple days I can see an increase in energy levels, very little pains, breathing is much better. Been sleeping in the recliner since I came home last Thursday and going to try the bed tonight. Still get winded if I walk too much or over exert myself. As for the scar it is healing great. I participated in a research study in which I was given an Anicoat Postop Silver Dressing. Two weeks out, the scar has no swelling or redness!

Latest posts

Back