Tissue vs. Mechanical - terrified and confused

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I wasn't going to put my two cents worth in, but (I'm honestly not trying to start anything) how do people that opt for mechanical valves, cope with the ticking??

The same way Flave does. Honestly, it's like wearing a loud watch.

Flavor-Flav-cc09.jpg

Hi Cherie,

I am a professional in the field. You got a common inherited disease often associated with aortic wall weakness. You are young. The last mechanical valve approved by the FDA needs less anticoagulation than the previous mechanical valve designs. The aortic weakness will have to be fixed and the aortic valve will have to be replaced. Surgery is very straightforward. Results now are outstanding. Your are too young for a tissue valve. Anticoagulation can be very well controlled nowadays and at a lower level than in the past. During the first 4 most post-op it will have to be verified carefully for the healing of the implant. After that period it is of less concern. There are now patients living for more than thirty years without problems. You can relax. Your disease is perfectly managed today. Thousands and thousands patients doing very well. Keep cool. Everything will go well.

Arthur,
Thank you for your response. It did make me feel better. I am pretty sure I am leaning toward the new On-x valve. What are your thoughts with that valve? Do you have experience with it? Trying to decide if I should be part of the trial (maybe I would be picked for the Plavix and aspirin group) or just get the valve, not be part of the trial, and await the results of the trial...Thoughts?? Anyone here on the Plavix and aspirin regime?

Cherie, I'm not Arthur, but as for the trial, I would not want to be a medical guinea pig. If the trial works out, which won't be known for years yet, then it was a prudent choice. If not, then you didn't risk your life for the sake of trying it out.

Cherie, I'm not Arthur, but as for the trial, I would not want to be a medical guinea pig. If the trial works out, which won't be known for years yet, then it was a prudent choice. If not, then you didn't risk your life for the sake of trying it out.

I agree with Ross here. and Justin has been part of a few experimental things so I am not always against being a test subject. Since one of the problems IF it turns out lower levels or plavix aspirin aren't good enough, is you could have a bad stroke, to me personally it isn't worth the risk. Altho to be honest I have always feared a bad stroke over death.

I have always feared a bad stroke over death.

Unfortunately, none of us is exempt from that possibility. I fear that, Alzheimers and currently watching someone else going through something yet unidentified, that I have no desire to have.

Back