Time to get it over with....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin21

I've been back and forth to this site for years now.

Basically I've been sitting in the waiting room for maybe 5-6 years. Doc and I finally say it's time to go here in spring.

I've known it was going to happen since age 10 when they said I'd eventually need valve work. They thought age 25, guess I lasted a bit longer at 34.

Doc said I could have it about 4-5 years ago but we've done the watch and see thing every 6 months with echo's and visits. I talked to him 2 weeks ago and we both say it's better to have it now while I'm relatively strong vs getting too weak.

Mine's been a gradual slide, so gradual that I still feel that I don't have any real symptoms. However, I've noticed me shying away from doing physical things that were't a problem say 3 to 4 years ago like hauling stuff up the stairs to the attic or loading light fixtures into and out of my truck. I tried to attribute it to being out of shape or getting old but I'm convinced it's the ticker.

Doc said he also thinks my VSD may have a small hole that they may need to try and fix while in the chest... great! He said it'll be seen more when doing a cath.

Been taking Coreg and Accupril and I believe it's helped me last this long. Heart is enlarged a bit but it always has been due to the severe leakage. It's just never limited my ability (to my knowledge, see above)...

Picked out a surgeon a while back, Dr. Ott at St Lukes here in the Houston Med center. He's got a lot of valve experience from what I've researched and St Lukes and or Methodist are pretty good at heart care from what I am told. Should be in good hands.

D-day will be probably end of March if not sooner. Have a few projects to finish and then I'm free to recover. Not much of a sedentary person so I'll be one that overdoes it upon recovery....

3rd OHS but 1st one in 24 years so I'm hoping it's not as risky as say my 3rd in 5 years....

Get used to me, i tend to post a lot.

WELCOME TO OUR FAMILY'S PAGE
I've been back and forth to this site for years now.

Basically I've been sitting in the waiting room for maybe 5-6 years. Doc and I finally say it's time to go here in spring.

I've known it was going to happen since age 10 when they said I'd eventually need valve work. They thought age 25, guess I lasted a bit longer at 34.

Doc said I could have it about 4-5 years ago but we've done the watch and see thing every 6 months with echo's and visits. I talked to him 2 weeks ago and we both say it's better to have it now while I'm relatively strong vs getting too weak.

Mine's been a gradual slide, so gradual that I still feel that I don't have any real symptoms. However, I've noticed me shying away from doing physical things that were't a problem say 3 to 4 years ago like hauling stuff up the stairs to the attic or loading light fixtures into and out of my truck. I tried to attribute it to being out of shape or getting old but I'm convinced it's the ticker.

Doc said he also thinks my VSD may have a small hole that they may need to try and fix while in the chest... great! He said it'll be seen more when doing a cath.

Been taking Coreg and Accupril and I believe it's helped me last this long. Heart is enlarged a bit but it always has been due to the severe leakage. It's just never limited my ability (to my knowledge, see above)...

Picked out a surgeon a while back, Dr. Ott at St Lukes here in the Houston Med center. He's got a lot of valve experience from what I've researched and St Lukes and or Methodist are pretty good at heart care from what I am told. Should be in good hands.

D-day will be probably end of March if not sooner. Have a few projects to finish and then I'm free to recover. Not much of a sedentary person so I'll be one that overdoes it upon recovery....

3rd OHS but 1st one in 24 years so I'm hoping it's not as risky as say my 3rd in 5 years....

Get used to me, i tend to post a lot.

I hope it is sooner rather than later

Last edited:
Welcome to the site Kevin. March seems like a long wait, but I guess you've been waiting for the last few years, a couple of months will fly by. Choosing your surgeon is half the battle. Have you picked a valve?

The Texas Heart Institute is one of the Top Heart Hospitals in the country.
I've heard of Dr. Ott (do a search for Ott on VR to find other posts referencing him) and expect you are in 'good hands'. It sounds like you are ready, physically and mentally. That's GOOD!

'AL Capshaw'

I believe he mentioned the On-X (think that's the spelling) valve a while back and that's what I was leaning toward before he mentioned it (the surgeon). It's the aortic one, don't know if I mentioned that. Just a bum valve, not a bicuspid or anything. Think it stemmed from stenosis or the stenosis surgery I had.

I stink at remembering things so I will need to get some kind of timed medication dispensor so I can not forget the dang coumadin.

I don't want to go for round four later on so I think the mechanical is the way at this time. I'm fairly active as in doing things around the house and I also build homes so I occasionaly have to load up some extra lumber or shingles or tile but I'm not really climbing ladders or doing risky stuff. I am kind of a clutz but that's what quick-clot is for eh (or pads)...

I need to fix my signature to add my old surgeries so people can see what the heck I'm talking about.

As far as the time frame, sooner will be the play if I start to feel any worse. It may actually be the first of March depending on my ability to close LOL. I feel pretty good at this time.

My echo's always show a 60-65% EF which I think is a good number. So my heart is willing, I just need to give it some dang back up, and a rest so to speak. People ask about the problem and I tell them it's like trying to put a pump at the bottom of a ski jump and making it pump all the way back up hill. It's fighting both gravity and it's normal job due to the water flowing back once it's already been pumped...

People ask about the problem and I tell them it's like trying to put a pump at the bottom of a ski jump and making it pump all the way back up hill. It's fighting both gravity and it's normal job due to the water flowing back once it's already been pumped...

I hear you loud and clear my friend! I'm headed to THI in Houston myself in another week or so! I too am anxious to get it done and overwith while I'm still on my feet!

We are going to be in the hands of some of the most brilliant surgeons in the world, Kevin so we've just got to trust their expertise and let them do the work that needs to be done!

Wishing you the very best with your upcoming surgery too! :)

and....I have heard Dr. Ott is one of their best too!!!

Latest posts

Back