Time between meeting surgeon and surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flor1

Going for first meeting with surgeon next week wondering what seems to be average wait time for surgery.
Not particularly patient to begin with and has been about three months since I was told that I would need a aortic valve replacement.
Thanks for any help.

My cardiologist told me how soon I should have surgery scheduled. He said within the next 3 months and the next day his nurse made an appointment for me to see the surgeon, I believe it was 1-2 weeks later. My overall wait time from being told it was "time" to surgery was about 2 months.

I live in the USA, but have heard that in the UK and Canadatimes can be longer due to how the health care system is run.

How long to wait certainly depends on how urgent, or not, your valve needs to be replaced. When I saw my surgeon she said she could do my surgery in two weeks' time, but I wasn't at all keen as I was asymptomatic, so I asked if six months later would be okay - no, she said my heart might "just stop" if I waited that long, so I asked if two months would be okay and she said yes - that's what I chose. I live in the UK, I get private health care from my husband's work but I'm not sure that would have made a diffference when it came to my heart "might stop" scenario - I'm sure they would have done it before that.

When I was told I needed valve after scoping doctor said should be done in the next three to six months.
Just getting nervous and ready to get it over and move on as much as anything

It depends on a few factors. Obviously if it's urgent that's the main thing. Mine wasn't so a lot was down to how busy the surgeon was. I pulled the trigger on November 20th , had surgery on February 7th.

My first valve replacement was emergency as I was on life support and valve stenosed to a pin head size opening so no wait. 4 1/2 years later I was diagnosed last May and had surgery November 1 at Mayo.

I think it varies for everyone as we all have different diagnosis and time frames for getting it done.

For me, I wanted this second one done as soon as I could but had to wait for the surgeon I wanted to have a time to do it.

If offered dates I would take the soonest. Too much time is just time to worry about what might happen.

Good luck to you.

I had 6 weeks from the time I was told I needed the surgery to going in, saw the surgeon for the first time 7 days before op, which was when I found out my surgery date so had a week to freak, which went quick so not much time to stress

I was diagnosed on May 30, 2015 and had surgery on September 30. My cardio told me I would need to have it done within a year but I wanted it over and done with. I also wanted it done in 2015 as I'd already met most of my $5000 insurance deductible and didn't want to pay out another $5000 in 2016 if I could help it. We are all different and some prefer to wait until it can no longer be put off. For me, the anxiety of having surgery hanging over my head for months to a year was worse than going ahead with it.

I was told it was time at my check-up in November of 2011. Since my doctor was ok with it, I held off surgery until after my son's birthday in Feb and had my surgery on March 5, 2012. Main reason I waited was that I in case I didn't make it through surgery, I didn't want his birthday to be a constant reminder of something happening to me.

Met with surgeon to today got the date next Thursday the fifth going with a tissue valve.
Wasn't expecting it to be this quick but more then ready.

Thats great, it's a little like waiting for Christmas but then you wake up and your xmas tree is on fire, the reindeer have deficated on your rug and the elves didn't flush the loo...

Warrick;n871434 said:
Thats great, it's a little like waiting for Christmas but then you wake up and your xmas tree is on fire, the reindeer have deficated on your rug and the elves didn't flush the loo...

THAT one almost cost me a new keyboard. Hot tea in a clicky-spring keyboard is a no-no!

In my case, we knew for months that surgery would be "soon." I got referrals to a few surgeons in October, was finally able to consult with them in December, chose one, and was finally able to get onto his OR schedule at the end of February. My thought process was that any surgeon who had a lot of time on his hands was probably not the best at his trade.

I've yet to meet Dr Cozgrove. He replaced my AV 8 weeks after I met the cardiologist at the CCF in 1998.

I met Dr. Pettersson, and waited 25 days. Originally scheduled for 5 weeks out.

My twin brother met Dr Pettersson the night before surgery. Not an emergency. He just managed to get it scheduled before the meeting.

Hey Warwick

Warrick;n871434 said:
... it's a little like waiting for Christmas but then you wake up and your xmas tree is on fire, the reindeer have deficated on your rug and the elves didn't flush the loo...

That's classic work right there :)
Love your work mate !!
To determine if it was actually an Ozzie who invaded your home, you should check that your thongs haven't been flogged and check your cat for ... well ... violations

Ohh and eps, before you ruin another keyboard, in Australia thongs are these [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/thumbs3.ebaystatic.com\/d\/l225\/pict\/111833530298_0.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Hi

I saw you post this but didn't have much to add as you didn't seem to be asking a question...

Flor1;n871427 said:
Met with surgeon to today got the date next Thursday the fifth going with a tissue valve.
Wasn't expecting it to be this quick but more then ready.

Now that you have picked a path just try to relax and let the team in charge of you do their parts.

I'm sure you'll be fine

Best Wishes

Warrick;n871434 said:

I've been to parties like that.

Latest posts

Back