This just in - DON'T SNEEZE !!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARGreenMN

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Just sneezed for first time since surgery (2 wks and 2 days ago). $#%&* $#!@# ! ! ! Ross - why didn't you warn me!!! OUCH!!! %$&^*@#$$ I think we need a new forum called DON'T SNEEZE AFTER SURGERY! Son of a $%^&$*(##$$ that hurt. Ok, all better now, just had to vent for a minute.

You only sneezed once? Man, I had rapid fire sneezes (6 or 7 times, one after the other!) and I swear I saw things that God himself has not even seen. Thought sure my inners were laying on the floor. Oh yeah, sneezing is fun. Grab a pillow (If you have warning) and hold on tight.

If you feel the urge to sneeze coming on, take your index finger and press it hard just under your nose. This is a pressure point and it will prevent the sneeze.

I saw all that too Ross!

I saw all that too Ross!

All the stuff God himself hasn't seen yet. And yea, I had to go check the walls to make sure my inards didn't explode and splatter all over them. Thanks for the tip on the finger Nancy! I'll try it next time. And yes, I had the heart-shaped pillow on my chest - didn't help much! OUCH!

My biggest fear coming out of surgery was sneezing - I tend to have a rather violent sneeze. Considering my incredibly lucky and painless recovery, this made me very nervous. I was able to go almost 6 1/2 weeks without sneezing. I remember my first sneeze was after I had gone back to work and I was at my desk. I was so excited that it did not hurt, I called my wife at work. She could not come to the phone, so I left a message with the receptionist " I sneezed, no painn, WOHOOO". Probably one of the stranger messages she has taken............

Here's a cheery thought .... My chest STILL hurts when I sneeze after 17 months !
But, nothing like post surgery ! That bought tears to my eyes as I did it and pure terror the moments leading up to it, knowing what was about to happen !
If you search this forum there are all sorts of tricks to ease the pain.. Some of them even work ! For me it was a case of grabbing around my nose between thumb and fingers, squeezing and manically wrunkling (if that's a word?) thumb and finger back and forth ....
I do really feel for you ... you'll be fine in a few years I'm sure !

Hey ARGreen, I just found this, a post I made a few weeks after my operation ... You're not alone .

"I'm sure I read somewhere that for some strange and surely welcome reason people stop sneezing after OHS ?
Here's the thing, I didn't, and haven't and it really really hurts !!
I get a two or three second warning of shear terror sweep across me when I know there's no stopping whats about to happen, I jump about, shaking my hands, bracing myself, even bashing my own nose but it's no good ... AHHHHH CHOOOOOOO !!! OUUUCHHHH !!!! It's like being wacked in chest from the inside out with hundred mile an hour hammer blow !!
I've had a cold (man flu!) for a week or so which has bought on a few of them but also all my life for some reason it happens if the sunlight catches my eye !?
Does anyone have any bright ideas on how to stop a sneeze after the two second warning ???"

....And just when you think it's safe, in comes some jackarse friend cracking jokes and having you laughing until your in tears from the pain.

Ah Yes.....there are some memories that you never forget......sneezing is one of them. Take heart, there will come a time when you can sneeze without feeling like your chest came apart.......I promise. I've come to enjoy a good sneeze every now and then.

Last edited:
This forum rocks!

This forum rocks!

Just can't say enough good things about this forum. My kudos to whoever started it! I'm trying to figure out how to email the link to my hospital to help other patients. I seriously think this should be part of the pre-op process - go read and understand!!!

But back to the sneezing. I know it'll get better eventually (maybe in 17 months or so lol). And I definitely relate to the story about feeling the fear of what's about to happen and having no way to stop it! But I'll get through it like you all have ;) Thanks again for all the feedback - fun talking to you guys!!!

What?!? You didn't get the memo?!?
"DON'T SNEEZE POST-OP :eek: !!!"

Somebody evidently dropped the ball.

But, yeah. They're a whole lot of fun :rolleyes: I usually have some notice before my huge sneezes and the undernose-pressing thing works. But, I think I was a few months out, several weeks anyway, when I leaned over in the kitchen and my first post-op sneeze suddenly flew out and, unfortunately, I'd forgotten all about protecting myself.

Eeey-ouch!!! It was a doozy.

Truly an unforgettable moment!

I did good in the hospital-no sneezing.The day I was released I walked into the parking lot and it was a bright sunny Texas day in Sept. I looked at
a plane flying over head right into the sun and it gave a monster sneeze!.I didnt have time to grab my heart pillow.Wow- that hurt!.(looking at the sun makes me sneeze)
Sunglasses and the pillow for a few weeks after that. That sneeze and the vent tube - I dont want anymore of that!

Speaking of sneezes, I just had one yesterday, with no pillow support by the way, that did not hurt! I am just a week more more than 4 months post-op, so I doubt a 17 month wait will be necessary! :) I stopped using the pillow awhile ago, forgot exactly when, but still this was a cool thing because it had been awhile since I'd sneezed. I completely understand the elation coach14 felt over such an event!

In addition to not sneezing, make sure you sip any liquid carefully. My downfall one day after being discharged from the hospital was corn which went down Tuesday's pipe on Thursday. I was more than certain after I can finished coughing that I had split my incision open along with all the shooting stars behind my eyes. Geez thinking about it now still gives me pain memories.

That is a really good point, Chris, especially since shortly after surgery, there is likely to be some inflammation or even slight injury of the various structures of the throat, esophagus due to insertion of a TEE proble and trachea from ventilator. So, if there is some inflammation or injury, the precise muscular control needed for swallowing may be affected. Here is a cool tip I learned when my Mom had a swallowing problem after a surgery, and FYI is good also for making it easier to swallow largeish pills or capsules. When you are ready to swallow, tuck your chin down toward your chest.

Postop the nose seems to be sensitive and just wants to let one rip despite our best efforts....I managed to hold off for about 2 months, by pinching my nostrils when I felt a tickle. Then one day, my lovely daughter had me play a trick on her BF and I almost split my guts laughing....that may have been worse. I kept telling her to call 911, but I was laughing so much that nobody would have taken me seriously anyway. ;)

All good points

All good points

I've done the swallowing something down the wrong pipe thing a few times now, and yea, that's almost as scary as a pending sneeze - knowing the tickle will cause a cough any second. So far I've been able to fight it off with tiny coughs and get rid of the tickle most of the time w/o a major cough, but not always. And the laughing thing can be bad too, but a little more controllable for me (except when Mike comes over).

Ok, here's a new one. I'm noticing a new pain the last couple days. Relatively minor, but noticable. Feels like a sore muscle at the bottom of my ribs/top of my stomach. It's on both sides which is kind of weird. Maybe just 'cause of the way I've been sitting in the recliner 18 hrs a day, but just wondering if anyone's had anything like that a couple weeks after surgery or if anyone thinks I should be concerned.

I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it keeps getting worse. You may have some fluid accumulation starting. Does it hurt to breath in?

FWIW, my advice is to "practice sneezing."

What I mean by that is to always carry a handkerchief or tissues to cover your mouth, and just let the sneeze "flow!" Ensure you're not trying to hold back (or build up pressure).

I've found that way they don't hurt quite so much.

Cheers
Col

I was lucky enough to only have to cough up the stuff in my lungs about 6 times but I am still haunted by others who seemed to have a never ending cough. I could only imagine the pain they experienced. I had one "lucky" nurse who would walk in just as a finally worked it out. Never ceased to amaze me. Was able to diffuse the sneezes don't ask me how.

Back