The Big Doctor Visit tomorrow...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zztimeout

Hi Gang,
Well I am off to see Dr Trevor Fayers of HolySpirit Private hospital tomorrow... I have a Bicuspid aorta valve (born with it) and my ascending aorta is now 5cm at tghe root..... got my questions all ready for him.... and yes... I am browning my pants big time !!!
Please give me strength......
Will let you know the outcome....

Cheers
Dave
Brisbane, Australia

Dave, try not to stress too much ( i know that's easy to say) I am now 6 days post op with AVR and aorta repair Trust me, you are at the worst of it right now. It's all about the fear of the unknown. You will probably feel much better after you talk to him. the people here are all in your corner.
John

Almost all of us agree the wait is the worse part. If you get through the decision making stage and anticipation, you're more than halfway there. We're all here to lend an ear and help any way we can.

Best wishes. Let us know how your meeting with the surgeon goes.

Dave - The guys are sight. I am now just 12 days post-op and although it isn't fun yet, it will be soon. As soon as you've chosen your surgeon, your hospital, your valve and your date, you have a plan. Just "work the plan" and do whatever is on the schedule for that day (pre-op tests, specilist visits, work, etc.) and get on with your life. That's how I did it, in spite of several surprises along the road.

We will all get through this, just as so many have before us. Keep in touch with the group here, they will guide you through this scary trip.

Hi all... Just an update.. Spoke to Dr Fayers and he is a great guy... Really knows his stuff.. He said he has done hundreds of root replacements and can do them with his eyes closed (open would be fine). He said that next week I will go an have a toe test to look at the valve in action. If the valve is in good condition he said given my age (41) that doing a repair of the valve can stop any leakage and I could keep my valve (David proceedure). He showed me the tube that will be my new aorta at the root and I must say that a wet tissue looked more stable.. Heheoho.. A cut off piece of electrical conduit would be nice :)
He said that if we were to use my valve, one of his co-doctor would do the David proceedure as he has done many more than my surgeon but he would do the root Replacment. He said we both work well together.
He said that once we see the condition of the valve we can them work out a plan.

My concern is the thought of going through all this again down the track... I suppose I don't think I can escape another surgery anyway... My possible options are:

1. Use my valve and have root Replacment and maybe valve might last 10 years then another OP around 51
2. Replace valve and root with tissue and maybe last 10 - 12 years then another OP around 53
3. Replace valve and root with mechanical and maybe last 25 years then another OP around 65

Can you guys give me some feedback with your ideas ?

Thanks heaps
Dave

Sounds like you've lined up an experienced team, Dave, and are doing your research on your options. I've resolved never to try to steer anyone in a particular direction with valve choice because it is such a personal decision and so many factors come into play.

I had basically the same condition as you, with an aortic aneurysm that the surgeon measured at 5.5 cm. I was 63 at the time, and reasoned that I might have a good long ride with the combined root/valve tissue replacement and perhaps never need one again. On other hand, depending on my life span, might face the need for a re-op in my 70s (which are almost here -- yikes!) or 80s. It would be oh-so-helpful to have a crystal ball. Age is one of the big factors and I understand your thinking. You don't want to have multiple re-ops if you can avoid it.

Ceertainly will be sending you good vibes as you go forward and best wishes for a smooth ride and recovery....

Well the hospital phoned me today and I am booked for the TOE exam on Wednesday 23rd March. I will be admitted at 7am and will be monitored until around 1pm where I will be discharged. Has anyone had this test? What is it like?

Cheers
Dave

Well the hospital phoned me today and I am booked for the TOE exam on Wednesday 23rd March. I will be admitted at 7am and will be monitored until around 1pm where I will be discharged. Has anyone had this test? What is it like?

Cheers
Dave

Is it a TEE or TE Echocardiogram --- transesophageal echocardiogram?

I haven't had one of those, but many on here had, and I'm sure they can give you a good description.

Latest posts

Back