Thanks for all the help!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
St Louis good luck.

St Louis good luck.

Big day tomorrow! In the hospital now, had my cardiac cath and all looks good. Certainly do NOT like hearing of all the complications that could occur but it is to be expected. Hope to make my move to the post op forum sometime this week once I become lucid!

Confirmed my valve choice, an On-X, today. Looks like this is really going to happen!

David

Hi David. Am so hoping all goes well I too am in stlouis & when u feel better would like to chat. My avr will be feb - and this site has been great. I live in west county & am hoping to connect w - u & hear all the detail when u feel up to it. Dr? Etc with prayers & good luck. Nancy Jane

I'm noticing all the st Louis mentions. Do we hv avr folks in my area ? Would Lov to get to connect. As I hv mentioned I'm not "due" til feb and learning a lot. Man will I be an informed consumer. :). Thx. Nanc

Hi David. Am so hoping all goes well I too am in stlouis & when u feel better would like to chat. My avr will be feb - and this site has been great. I live in west county & am hoping to connect w - u & hear all the detail when u feel up to it. Dr? Etc with prayers & good luck. Nancy Jane

Hi Nancy, David had his surgery in the beginning of June

Hi Nancy,

Lynlw is right - had my surgery in early June and I couldn't be better now. I've been meaning to update my recovery but it seems that life got in the way! In fact about 4 weeks ago I finished cardio rehab and rewarded myself with an 18 mile backcountry Ozark hike complete with 35 pound pack. Great times and it felt good to get out on the trail again. Was a little worried I'd have some chest pain from the backpack weight as well as sleeping on the ground but I really didn't have any discomfort associated with the trip.

A few points regarding my recovery (not sure at what point you stop calling it a recovery and considered yourself recovered - but I think I'm there!)
First, I still have chest pain at the incision site. Not every day, but I can tell you when I have it sends a shot of pain over my chest. It only happens when there is direct pressure on the bottom of my incision site, for example when I'm carrying things against my chest (toys, drink cups, kids, you get the picture.) I also feel it sometimes at night when I sleep. I'm a stomach sleeper and if I roll over on a wad of bed sheets or a pillow and it hits that spot it'll wake me up in a hurry. I'd say I feel the pain once maybe twice a month now.

Second, through my skin, I can still feel the wires they used to tie my sternum back together. It isn't a big deal, more of the reality of the surgery, but it's something that I didn't really expect after surgery. The x-ray I saw seems to have about 8 of them, more of them grouped at the bottom of my sternum than anywhere else. Not sure if that's partly the source of my pain.

Regarding my surgery in the area, I know there are a lot of opinions about how best to come to a decision; how I came about it was I first chose the valve and then found the best surgeon I could in the area to implant it. I found Dr. Mark Moon at Barnes and had him perform the surgery. I've lots of opinions on Barnes, the surgeon, surgery and the staff - saw you PM'd me so I'll respond to you there.

David

Latest posts

Back