Thank You!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franklin

Hello,
Although this is my first post, I've been reading these forums since I was diagnosed with a BAV in October '10 and wanted to give a big THANK YOU!! to all the posters and moderators - these forums have been a great source of information and comfort during this difficult time; it's so valuable to have an active and knowledgeable community like this one. Reading studies, talking to doctors and nurses, and reading the literature the hospital provides is good, but it so often doesn't provide the specifics about what you'll feel like emotionally before the surgery and during recovery that you find here, and it's really helpful to read about all the success stories. So again, thank you!

Anyway, I've got my aortic valve replacement and conduit scheduled for January 6, 2011 at New York Presbyterian-Weill Cornell with Dr Leonard Girardi. He's got a great resume and has evidently performed over 6,700 valve replacements, and my family and I felt extremely comfortable with him and the team...I guess the most important part is yet to come though, and I'll let everyone know how the surgery goes, but so far we've been very happy with him.

When I was looking for information right after I was told I needed surgery, I found it informative to read the background of other patients and their stories...so I guess I'll give a brief bio on myself in the hope that others might be able to relate and find some comfort:

I'm an otherwise-healthy 30yr old male that had never been told of any heart problems (no murmurs, normal blood pressure, etc.) and had no symptoms of heart problems, and no family history of heart problems. I exercised regularly and haven't ever felt bad. I went into the doctor in October '10 for a random cold, and he told me that the cold was just a virus, but that my blood pressure was very high and to come back next week for a full physical. I came back the next week, and he confirmed that he had heard a heart murmur, and sent me to Weill Cornell on the Upper East Side for an echocardiogram. The echo showed regurgitation (moderate/severe) and indicated a bicuspid aortic valve. My physician referred me to a cardiologist who sent me for a CT scan, which enabled him to conclusively diagnose the BAV. The CT scan revealed an enlarged left ventricle and an aneurysm in my ascending aorta.

The cardiologist then referred me to Dr Girardi who indicated that I should have the valve replaced and a Dacron conduit inserted sometime over the next 6 months to a year. I decided to go ahead and get it done sooner rather than later to minimize the loss of sleep I'd suffer from worrying about the operation! So here I am.

As much as the surgery scares me, I feel fortunate to have caught the problem while something can still be done about it, fortunate to have been referred to excellent doctors and facilities, and I'm most thankful to have my wonderful wife and family with me. (I'm pretty sure that my wife is having a harder time than I am with it, but she's a trouper and is putting on a brave face.)

I'll post a post-surgery update as soon as I'm able. Thanks again everyone.

- Franklin

Oh, forgot to mention that I've requested an On-X valve but have asked Dr Girardi to make the call and go with St Jude if, in his judgement, there is ANY reason he thinks the St Jude would be better (better fit, factory-installed Dacron sleeve, etc.)

This is a very lovely post! Thank you for joining up and welcome to our wonderful community.

You sound confident and ready (as ready as anyone can be in the face of this rather daunting turn of events) and I want to acknowledge that since I'm a firm believer in optimism and confidence being closely related to success (and please don't forget luck..... luck is always lurking and we hope with our collective hearts that luck is on your side).

Someone will be along to "put you on the calendar" so that we can all sit around and worry with your wife! Really. We do send out prayers or thoughts or vibes on surgery days -- if we are aware of them. I've always felt that that was a huge benefit to being a part of this community. We really are supportive and caring as you've seen.

Many of us have found that the partners, wives, loved ones do have a very hard time with this. It is scary. Please be sure that she knows how very gray and still you will look when she first sees you after your surgery. This is normal!! It isn't pleasant, but for your healing; hearing your voice and having her touch is highly beneficial so I know she will be there for you. And of course she may come on the forum if she has any questions. We'd love the updates and she may need a boost of confidence to advocate for you if she senses there is something pushy she should be doing.

Best wishes to you and please know that someone is almost always hanging around here should you have any last minute questions or needs. Recovery will be full of questions for you, too, so don't be shy.

:smile2: Marguerite

Sounds like a solid plan, and not much time for worrying, too. Me, I'm into worrying and researching and discussing, etc., but skipping it works better for most "normal people"! ;)

Welcome, Franklin.

Very happy you found us but sorry for the reason.
You certainly have a sensible, orderly plan in place and are getting care from very find physicians/facilities.
I had two OHS in four years (the second one almost three years ago) at Mass General and for me, the wait was very hard. Actually it was one of the hardest part of the experience and it was about a month as I had to be off certain medications for three weeks and had to have TEE and cath prior to surgery.

Being an otherwise healthy very young man, you have every reason to think you'll do absolutely fine. Everyone experiences OHS differently and the most important is to listen to what your care providers instruct. With the fine team you have, they really do know best.

Best wishes.
Let us know how you are doing.

Welcome to the site, Franklin. Even though I knews for decades (instead of your months) that my bicuspid would eventually need replaced, I clearly recall how greatly relieved I was to find this site also. Best wishes to you :)

Latest posts

Back