Thank You for all the Good information.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WandaW

Hello all, I have been reading this forum for 2 weeks and am so grateful you are all here.
I was diagnosed with a Bicuspid AV and Anneurysm in my Ascending Aorta out of the blue. I had a rapid rise in BP and palpations at work, went to the clinic and they sent me to ER and they kept me overnight for tests.

I am a 52 year old woman who was widowed a year ago at Christmas. This past Christmas my 2 teens and I were snorkling in Belize, and I felt we had really made it through the worst. Needless to say this was a huge surprise. One month later on March 11 I had my Aortic Valve replaced with a Mechanical valve and the anneurysm repaired. I just passed my 5 week mark and had a problems with racing heart beats which terrified me. Reading this forum help explain the special things that are apart of the recovery with a valve replacement.

I worked with the Cardiology dept at my clinic/hospital and had my beta blocker increased and bought a heart monitor, A model made by Polar, and I can wear it swimming. It brings me peace of mind to keep track of my heart rate while I am walking or working around the house and can see that it is in the correct range.

I am an Occupational Therapist and I know just enough to scare myself. My PT reccomended the Polar unit and my anxiety has significantly dropped. I drove today for the first time, just around my neighborhood. My son was along to help carry the groceries.

Thank you again for all the GOOD information and supportive caring. I never dreamed I would be a member of this club but you make if easier to be more comfortable with this recovery process.

Welcome to this great forum Wanda and glad you found us. :) You have had quite the year. May your recovery get better each day.

Last edited:
Hi Wanda

Hey we are almost identical. I'm 55, had my AV replaced with an On-X AV. Also required a graft of the ascending aorta. I as well developed a racing heart only 4 days post op. Only I was placed on Amioderone. I'm off the Ami and entering my 5th week post op.

Started riding my time trial bike on a stationary trainer this past Sat. I have worked out a light [under 10 lb] dumbbell upper body work out sans chest exercises, that do not effect the healing sternum. Legs are done considerably heavier but only light/med intensity. On Fri I started adding 1 min running intervals into my power walking program. It's great to be progressing! Can't wait to get back in the pool! I was warned by the nurse practitioner to avoid the pool 2 mths post op. Why? Because people have contracted flesh eating disease swimming and going into hot tubs prior to the 2 mth mark. I mention this as I believe you to also be a water rat!

Just after surgery my beats per minute where around 80 to 85. About ten days after it went up to 180 about noon. I monitored it for about half an hour and it did not normalize so I called 911 and they sent an ambulance for me and took me to emergency. They put me on a drip and gave me some meds. Around 5pm it normalized and I went home.

I am just over 12 weeks PostOp.

It is now between 60 and 65 BPM and my blood pressure is 125/75. So, all that looks good, but now I am starting to feel more lighheaded. I am going to my MD today to get his opinion. I had a EKG last week, but I doubt the results are in yet.

Thanks for all your kind posts, I am looking forward to the Holiday weekend. My daughter comes home from college Wed. nite and I am supposed to be in better shape so we can go shopping. It should be a nice weekend with my kids and dinner with my in-laws. I will be able to walk the shopping centers and feel like a regular person again. I am amazed at how great doing normal things can feel. I hope you all have a great Holiday this weekend an hopefully have better weather then we have in Mpls MN, more snow tomorrow nite, hope it melts before my daughter gets home. Thanks You for all your help and support.

Back