Terrible Head/Chest Cold

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenda

Well, I've done it again, come down with a terrible head/chest cold. I really think it's because I've been under so much stress at work. We are so understaffed and have so many unhappy people working in the General Surgery department that it is affecting everyone. We have had four nurses quit within the last two weeks. They are just fed up. Freeman Hosptial don't really care about their employees. Even if you are sick and running fever, which I have been, they expect you to be there. You can only miss one day a month, after that they write you up. I usually go in at 2:00 and work until 11:00 every day. Yesterday I had to go in early becasue the other unit secretary left early because she got so upset. Well that made me put in 15 hours yesterday. Nevertheless I was exhausted by the time I got home at 11:30 pm. and my chest was hurting so bad. I know it's just from the stress. I finally broke down and called my doctor this morning and he called in an antibotic for me. He also told me to take Musinex and Clairton and a saline/nasal spray. It seems they really don't want to see you in the office. I love the kind of work that I am doing but I sure don't like the department and I can't transfer out into another area until I've been there for six months which will be November 6th. Thank Goodness. I really think I would like working at a private doctor's office again instead of at the hospital. I've done that before and it's so much better.

Oh well, enough of my wining. I'm just glad I got a job.

Glenda, I'm sorry to hear this. A cold sounds simple but feels HORRIBLE :eek:.

I read again recently that gargling with warm salt water is an excellent thing to do to try to head off worsening symptoms of cold and flu.

I've happily only had one in the last year. I say that to introduce the following recent development for me, which may help you or someone else. The year before last, I had I think about 5-6 colds, which all went into sinus infections and/or bronchitis. It turned out, which my clever pharmacist managed to draw my attention to, that my seemingly innocuous hypertensive medication had a side effect of upper respiratory infections! So, since I switched to a different bp med, I've been much better that way.

And also not to be overlooked, is REST! That really can make a difference.
Hope you are feeling better soon :) .

That's really sad how employers don't care about their employees.

Take care of yourself and I hope your feeling better real soon.
Don't forget to drink lots of fluids so you can flush this "bug" out of you.

I'm so sorry you have to put up with all this on top of being sick. You would think that a hospital would realize that sick people should be at home... or in the hospital as a patient! Hope things get better for you real soon.

BTW, did you fully recover from your spider bite?

I use to work at a job that they did'nt care if you were sick or not just don't call in. Colds can be rough all you want to do is sleep. Have some homemade chicken soup the broth does help loosen you. Hope you feel beter soon! :)

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I feel a little better this evening. This week has been so stressful at work and I think I've just got myself wore out. After the first of the year I think I will start looking somewhere else. My husband's secretary is quiting in January to stay home and babysit her new grandson. I could always go to work for my husband. I've done that before when she's been out for surgery and been gone for a long time and it's worked out pretty well. I'll just have to wait and see if they can find someone. It's so hard to find someone that really wants to work. Even in the medical field, the younger generation calls in all the time or they show up late and then they wonder why they get written up!

Glenda i hope your better ,being sick on top of work
is soooooooo horrible....knock this bug on its BUTT
and feel better soon

Dear Glenda The Good, I hope you are feeling much better by now. I am sorry the job is not going well. I hope that changes soon too. Your valve bro, Brian

I am feeling better. I still have the hacking cough but am much better. My job is something else. I have sent out numerous resumes. I love the medical field and I love working at the hospital. I just don't like this department. The moral is very low and so many are quiting. The day charge nurses has chargeitis (not sure how you spell that or if it's even a word) but you know what I mean! But I have confidence that things will get better. God has a plan for me. I just don't know what it is. I need to work because of ecnomic reasons and my own sane of mind. I have got several personal bills of my own to pay off. I'm so mad at myself for getting myself into this situation. Oh well, it's my fault and no one elses. I've loaned way to much to a daughter and grandson and others. Now I am paying for it! ! Enough of my problems. At least I do have a job to go to. I'm thankful for that.

Latest posts

Back