TED Talk on Aortic Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was a great Ted presentation and I am sure it opened up lots of people's eyes on OHS and interesting intricacies that come with it. I was and sort of am an Engineer/Architect in my day job. Some things that he said really resonated with me and I laughed out when he said that people's egos get in the way of innovation and something different.

One interesting thing I wanted to add is that he is not the first one to think up wrapping aorta to preserve the shape. He is definitely an innovator, however, this sort of practice, reinforcing of aorta has been around for quite some time. For example, if you have ascending aortic aneurysm, but your aortic root looks decent, some surgeons might still go ahead and replace your aortic root and re-implant your coronary arteries (this carries 5-6% surgical risk). On the other hand, since there is nothing wrong with your aortic root best thing that can be done instead of replacing it is simply reinforcing it with surgical felt tape. This is something that I questioned my surgeon on, and since this is part of his expertise I am glad he did not replace my healthy root and simply reinforced it (totally his idea, and he convinced me that this was better then replacing the root).

I still think Tal is an innovator and that we need more engineers to step up and intermix their ambition and knowledge with medical folk to come up with some awesome ideas and actually execute.

Latest posts

Back