TAVR Trial

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twobike

I think I'm going to be in a TAVR trail. Right now I don't know if I will be having Open Heart Surgery or TAVR. I went to the doctors thinking he would say " you need open heart surgery". He did but then he added that they would be doing a trial soon. TAVR vs Open Heart. It is for low risk patients over the age of 65. I am 72. I could either schedule my Open Heart or be in the trial. The surgery team meets Monday to go over selections. Guess I'll know for sure next week. But if I'm in the trial I don't know when I find out which surgery will be done. The nurse said it would start in about three weeks and she thinks I would have surgery in a month or two.

Be very sure you understand the risks of each procedure and keep us posted. Which hospital is participating in the trial? This could be an exciting opportunity for you and help those of us with tissue valves who are looking at a second surgery down the road. Just make sure it's the right thing for you if you decide to go ahead with it. I am in a trial for a new type of tissue valve that shortened the time I was on the heart-lung machine. I came in near the end of the study so there was a lot of data already available to show it was as safe as I could expect. Also keep in mind that trials keep researchers employed. The grant money they receive pays their salaries in most cases. I'm not trying to discourage you. I just want you to know everything you can about the trial before proceeding.

This is the wife writing. The hospital called Friday and wanted him in for pre op tests. Surgery was yesterday. He didn't make the TAVR side of the trial. He had Open Heart replacing the aorta, and repairing the mitral and tricuspid. He is still in ICU and doing well except they think he might need a pace maker. They will know in a few days. Since so much ended up being done I think Open Heart was best.

Hi

thanks for your update

Twobike;n870092 said:
This is the wife writing. The hospital called Friday and wanted him in for pre op tests. Surgery was yesterday. He didn't make the TAVR side of the trial. He had Open Heart replacing the aorta, and repairing the mitral and tricuspid. He is still in ICU and doing well except they think he might need a pace maker. They will know in a few days. Since so much ended up being done I think Open Heart was best.

I agree ... TAVI is still reserved for those who have very specific needs ... as soon as you say "aneurysm" you're back to using "Classic"

Please give him my best wishes and say Hi from Finland

That's good news - that he is in recovery and doing well. Tell him not to worry if they want him to have a pacemaker. I had one implanted 5 days after valve replacement and it fixed the problems. I'm now 5 1/2 years out, and on pacemaker #2 (they replaced mine when they had to replace a lead last summer) and haven't looked back. The only time I realize I have the pacemaker is when I look in the mirror with my shirt off.

If you want to know more about life with a pacemaker, just let me know - either in open forum or send a PM.

He is home now. Sleeping in a recliner and up every couple of hours. Walking in the house several times a day with laps plus up to the table to eat and bathroom walks. Our son will be here for two more days. That has given me a lot more time to be a personal nurse. The doctor didn't want him on Eliquis after surgery, so put him on warfarin. We will get out several times a week to get that set up. Mainly now, it's just a lot of rest . He is eating wee and I'm watching his weight, which is good so far. Thanks for all the help through this. I appreciate it !

Oh, they did put in a pacemaker. A little AFib has returned and the electrical top and bottom of the heart is out of rythum . I'm sure there is a better way to say that, but I know nothing about an electrical part.

Latest posts

Back