TAVR trial for low risk! Bright future ahead!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think a lot of this is "relative." If you were 85 years old and had a failing valve, would you rather do nothing and perhaps not see your 86th, or have a smaller, restricted valve implanted and have to lead a quieter life until you die some time later? It may also be true that elderly patients do not need as much blood supply to their bodies, as they are less likely to engage in strenuous activities.

The potential trade-off's are endless, but having yet another option out there will definitely mean that more people can live longer lives in spite of failing heart valves.

As I said before, I'm not managing my life counting on TAVR for the next valve, but if it is available and is a good option for me in the future, I'd be glad to try it.

epstns;n863309 said:
I think a lot of this is "relative." If you were 85 years old and had a failing valve, would you rather do nothing and perhaps not see your 86th, or have a smaller, restricted valve implanted and have to lead a quieter life until you die some time later? It may also be true that elderly patients do not need as much blood supply to their bodies, as they are less likely to engage in strenuous activities.

The potential trade-off's are endless, but having yet another option out there will definitely mean that more people can live longer lives in spite of failing heart valves.

As I said before, I'm not managing my life counting on TAVR for the next valve, but if it is available and is a good option for me in the future, I'd be glad to try it.

I agree , that's why's said the bit about the perfect not being the enemy of the good. It could end up being a great option for that hypothetical octogenarian you mentioned .

epstns;n863309 said:

Well it is already the case, FDA has approved TAVRs for old patient at risk. This topic was about starting the research for younger patients with low risk.

At 85 I think I would probably do nothing. I'm not in robust health now and will be even less able to get around at that age. Without an endless supply of $$$ to use for entertainment purposes, I'll be getting bored by that ripe old age. My mother lived to 85 and - despite being pretty dang healthy till cancer got her - she was ready to go on to the heavenly meet and greet. Also, I don't see the point (for me) in having such an expensive surgery at that age and possibly leaving my children to deal with my medical expenses.

honeybunny;n863319 said:
At 85 I think I would probably do nothing. I'm not in robust health now and will be even less able to get around at that age. Without an endless supply of $$$ to use for entertainment purposes, I'll be getting bored by that ripe old age. My mother lived to 85 and - despite being pretty dang healthy till cancer got her - she was ready to go on to the heavenly meet and greet. Also, I don't see the point (for me) in having such an expensive surgery at that age and possibly leaving my children to deal with my medical expenses.

Unfortunately for me I'm not a big believer in the afterlife so I'll have to be pretty bored to want to shuffle off this mortal coil.

cldlhd;n863328 said:
Unfortunately for me I'm not a big believer in the afterlife so I'll have to be pretty bored to want to shuffle off this mortal coil.

I've found the opposite is true. Those who are not convinced of the situation in the afterlife may indeed be more inclined to be active in doing things in this one. Not relying on that "good place" often provided more motivation to sort out your problems here and make the most of your life here ... the concepts of the afterlife are not clarified well by any religion. And speak in terms that are quite vague.

Equally people seem to take great umbrage at suggestions to the contrary of their beliefs. Myself I attribute such reactions as an anger that my words threaten their comfortable views and make them confront mortality (something few are inclined to do rationally).

Myself I will find out what happens after I die ... after I die.

pellicle;n863330 said:
I've found the opposite is true. Those who are not convinced of the situation in the afterlife may indeed be more inclined to be active in doing things in this one. Not relying on that "good place" often provided more motivation to sort out your problems here and make the most of your life here ... the concepts of the afterlife are not clarified well by any religion. And speak in terms that are quite vague.

Equally people seem to take great umbrage at suggestions to the contrary of their beliefs. Myself I attribute such reactions as an anger that my words threaten their comfortable views and make them confront mortality (something few are inclined to do rationally).

Myself I will find out what happens after I die ... after I die.

Well not to go to deep into the weeds but if there's nothing you won't find out as you won't even know you're dead.
As for people taking umbrage I once irritated, intentionally, my former boss by telling him they describe hell as being so horrible as to make up for it being unlikely to exist.

Pellicle - As always, your insights are thought provoking. I'm one of those who isn't convinced of an afterlife, but that position has little to do with my intention to do as much as I can while I'm here. I just don't want to waste any opportunities.

When my wife gets frustrated with me and asks "Are you trying to live forever?" My reply is something like "No. I'm just trying to live long enough to aggravate all the people on my hit list, and right now, you're at the top of the list."

I think this part of this discussion is a good illustration of why people are people -- even under very similar circumstances, they are all different. That's part of the joy of life.

cldlhd nothing wrong with heading off road. There may indeed be nothing. I have this theory that it appears to some as they are dying that there is something, but that indeed this is a reflection back from the boundary. When you look into water you see reflections because of light reflection at the boundary of media change. If you're in a pool (under the water) looking up which is lit from below at night, you see the reflections back at you there too.

​The boundary from something to nothing would thus (according to classical physics) appear as if something was there but it was in reality just a mirror.

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2015/06...of-change.html

The quandary is that if that hypothesis is true I'll never know. ... neither scares me.

epstns my interactions with you always make me reflect on Jewish teachings. I regard them as the origins of Christian thought (like an application fork in Git HUB) . I understood that the traditional Jewish position was to not take any stance on the afterlife. To me that's wise. To me if one accepts that there is a God then it is clear that one should be thankful for what God has already given.

You just don't know what the after life may be, the lessons in the New Testament (for Christians) are rather non-specific. Having a place at the fathers table may mean something no more than you being part of the computational fabric of an afterworld which requires the computational energy of the soul to keep the lights on.

Part of that view is expressed within this post http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2013/06...ere-is-no.html

PS: never say anything to your wife when she's cranky (and your cranky) that you know could be used against you ... because it will be.

Shalom

epstns;n863479 said:
Don't we both know THAT one is true!

like all lessons that stick in ones mind, those associated with pain or anguish are remembered the most.

if you get my drift

Big news out of Edwards today. Their stock went through the roof. New study results confirm:

"Results revealed at the American College of Cardiology conference on Sunday are certain to bolster the firm’s case for a broader indication. So-called TAVR procedures performed with Sapien 3 led to lower rates of mortality and stroke compared with surgery, even while maintaining equal (or even superior) performance."

http://fortune.com/2016/04/04/edwards-lifesci-all-time-high/?xid=yahoo_fortune

I love reading stuff like this peeps. Another way to look at it is to have the TAVI first up, as opposed to a repair of an already placed one. This might buy time before the next great thing.
Pellicle/Steve: The existence of an after-life, or not, does not necessarily depend on the existence of God. I'm more inclined to believe we survive our death than I am of the existence of the aforementioned deity.
In fact, there is reasonable evidence (I won't say overwhelming) that we might actually survive our physical demise.
http://www.resuscitationjournal.com/article/S0300-9572(14)00739-4/pdf

neo;n864286 said:
Big news out of Edwards today. Their stock went through the roof. New study results confirm:
"Results revealed at the American College of Cardiology conference on Sunday are certain to bolster the firm’s case for a broader indication. So-called TAVR procedures performed with Sapien 3 led to lower rates of mortality and stroke compared with surgery, even while maintaining equal (or even superior) performance."
http://fortune.com/2016/04/04/edwards-lifesci-all-time-high/?xid=yahoo_fortune

Exciting stuff neo!!

Latest posts

Back