Taking all bets.......

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCbon

I am a new poster, but have been perusing this site for months.
I am so grateful to all participants who make time to contribute their experience and/or expertise despite
their personal challenges. It's not only informative but helps me manage my anxiety.

I am 61 and discovered my murmur around 2000. I reported to my GP and asthma doc in '02 that it was much worse, leading to the dx of aortic stenosis - it was many years later they categorized it as BAV. I remained blissfully ignorant that it would result in surgery until 2010 when things began to deteriorate. That ignorance was useful in that I was very active and unworried.

Fast forward to Mayo Clinic 5/13 for my annual cardiology consult. He said I would need surgery in 1-3 years.
(note: one down.) Status was characterized as moderate/severe calcific aortic valve stenosis, AVA = 1.05 cm2 with trivial regurg., Ejection Fraction 64% , AV velocity 3.5, AV mean gradient 33mmHg, LV stroke volume 50cc/m2
Other findings: Right vent syst pressure=28 mmHg, Left atrial enlargement, left atrial volume index 36 cc/m2, mild tricuspid valve regurg., borderline ascending aorta dilation 36 mm at midlevel, small circumferential pericardial effusion. They did a stress echo and said my peak O2 consumption was in the athletic range with a normal HR response but a slightly blunted BP on exertion for an unclear reason. They directed a f/u echo locally to check the pericardial effusion and it was unchanged as of 9/13 but that echo had AVA at 1.

They said I could keep exercising but keep HR below 130 (I typically have low BP and HR in 50 range. )
We were going on the assumption that I am asymptomatic although I had reported progressively worsening fatigue
for each check-in over the last three years and they have dismissed the fatigue as something other than my heart, even checking me for Lymes and sleep apnea, all negative. I have noticed many posters have talked about their fatigue being dismissed as due to something other than a symptom of BAV. First question - why is this the case given so many BAVers have the same experience?

I am scheduled for current annual check-in at CC with cardiologist and surgeon in 3 weeks. I am either mildly symptomatic or moderately overreacting. My capacity during cardio workouts has definitely diminished. Working harder and doing less, as one poster put it. Possibly infrequently lightheaded during exertion - so subtle- more like temporarily woozy; Mild transient windedness sprinting up stairs (I used to take them two at a time,) various left chest discomfort - or more likely mild aches due to yoga? Symptoms only seem significant in light of my fear of stressing my Left ventricle beyond the ability to remodel post-op vs continuing to stay fit .

In any case, I eagerly anticipate the new numbers. I am scheduled for my first gated CAT scan of aorta also an echo, ECG, labs and consultation. No stress echo this time.
IF I have deteriorated according stats, I should be in the severe range but not critical and will have another year to stress and second guess. I sure hope it doesn't come down to my own subjective experience of
symptoms vs no symptoms. I guess I will only have clarity if the numbers have deteriorated beyond statistical projections and they alone are bad enough to send me shopping for valves. I really resonate with all of you that say they dread the surgery while at the same time wanting to get it over with.

If you've made it this far - thank you for your patience. I still have a few more questions.
I've searched for examples of BAVrs that have pre-op pericardial effusions (reported on my last three annual echos) and have found nothing. Does anyone have any experience with that?
I plan to travel for surgery (whenever!) and the trip is long and involves 2 or 3 changes. Has anyone undertaken such a trip post-op and how did it go?

Thank you all again for sharing your knowledge and experience. Bonny

Last edited:
Per "First question - why is this the case given so many BAVers have the same experience?"

There are many BAV that do not have fatigue or any symptoms. For someone at your age there are other more common diseases that will give you the symptoms of fatique, such as sleep apnea. Per NIH the symptoms of aortic stensos do not include fatige. The symptoms are:

•Breathlessness with activity
•Chest pain, angina-type (Crushing, squeezing, pressure, tightness. Pain increases with exercise, is relieved with rest. Pain is felt under the chest bone but may move to other areas, most often the left side of the chest)
•Fainting, weakness, or dizziness with activity
•Sensation of feeling the heart beat (palpitations)

When it comes to travel, I had mine done at 55 and would not have wanted to fly until about 2 weeks after the operation. If your problem involves just replacement of a BAV, living in Oregon, you should be able to get to a hospital wihtin driving distance or a one direct flight away.

Hi, Bonny! I think fatigue is often dismissed as a symptom since most people attribute it to the aging process. For me, it was hard to know what was my valve and what was getting older. Have they considered performing a heart cath? What about a TEE?

Thank you both for your replies.
Tom, I appreciate your input on the travel challenge. For me it is a trade-off as to how hard the travel is vs how
unhappy I am with my local and regional options. I have experience with OR and WA major facilities and although they have some excellent surgeons, they don't do enough valves to have a dedicated "team." I think the nursing staff are as important as the O.R. staff (I'm slightly biased having been a nurse.) I don't want a nurse they've floated from a medical floor who has never seen a pacemaker! I most likely will be a relatively simple AVR, if all goes well. But experience tells me to anticipate unexpected variables-in which case, I want the most experienced team. It's one variable I can control. I also may be able to get a slightly more direct flight. I feel reassured by your description of symptoms. I knew the classic s/s but they are always presented as S.O.B., chest pain, and dizziness. No nuance. I would think those symptoms manifest in a wide spectrum of ways.

Duffey, Thanks for your supportive reply. It seems you have been around for awhile (I've read back to around 2009.) CC has sent my itinerary and they have not ordered a TEE, or a cath. I think they will cath pre-op. They are planning an echo, Pulmonary Lung Fx, and gated CT or the aorta. We'll see how those pan out, maybe they'll want more. I am still mystified by the pre-op pericardial effusion, I think I will post a separate thread on that alone, maybe I'll get some bites.

Be Well, Bonny

Hi Bonny, you might want to consider coming down to the Bay Area for your valve replacement. I was originally planning to go to Sequoia Hospital until repair became a good option for me. They have a dedicated heart program in spite of being a fairly small hospital; I really liked the nurses I spoke to there. Also, the surgeon I consulted has done about 3000 valve replacements. Stanford also has a great reputation, as does UC-San Francisco.

Best of luck at your next appointment!

Bonny - can I just say I love this:
'I am either mildly symptomatic or moderately overreacting.'

True of sooooo many of us, maybe all of us, at some point in time!!

Latest posts

Back