TakeStock Surgery Story

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TakeStock

Ok, this is what I remember of the whole surgery. My memories are very hazy as the general anesthesia really wiped me out for several days. I arrived with my wife at 5am and went back for the usual hookups and the shaving. The shaved my legs and chest, not my back and not my arms. It was a woman shaving too, which seemed strange -- a man shaved me for the angio. Anyway, they use an electric shave that shaves quickly but they don't try to be too neat about it. As a result, when pulling off my chest stickies today, it was a lot more unpleasant than it needed to be. If there's a next time, and despite being told not to, I might shave myself just to do a more even job.

Surgery started at 7am. I remember being carted into the cold, large theater for the operation and noticing they had diagrams of a human heart, like the kind you see in schools. You know, that didn't instill me with confidence. :) I remember getting some meds in my IV in my hand -- the only one I had at the time -- and then, nothing. I opened my eyes around 2pm to hear my wife say it was a successful repair. I motioned to write, and I wrote down "what time was it" and "dehydrated". I don't remember it, but my wife claims I made a finger typing motion indicating I wanted the laptop! Hmmm. Anyway, I would wake up again about once an hour for several hours. "Ask" for the time, and "ask" how much longer. They apparently had trouble with me stopping breathing while I was asleep, so I wasn't cleared for extubation. Apparently, at some point they decided to tie my hands down again, I had to motion-spell words with my hands at my sides. At some point they left the tube in and turned the ventilator off so I was breathing on my own, and could hear my breath going in and out. I believe I had oxygen through my nose and could breathe through my nose, although I was so spaced out I'm not exactly sure. Finally, they unhooked me and started feeding my ice chips by spoonful. My mouth was so try I still couldn't talk so I had to keep spelling things out for a few more minutes. I believe I was able to stay awake for a little while but they kept the nose-oxygen in for a while and gradually reduced the amount of air. My oxygen levels (measured by the finger attachment) never got below 94% the whole time I was there even without any extra oxygen.

The first night I don't remember anything but dozing a lot. They had put a ball that dispenses pain relief to my incision so all the pain came from the chest tubes, mainly to my shoulder blades. I could never get comfortable in that bed. I occassionally had small fevers, but it was controlled by the vicidin and percocet. I switched between the two because both seemed to fall short around the 4 hr mark, but eventually settled on the vicidin. They had wrapped a compress around both feet to circulate my blood while I stayed in bed to avoid blood clots. That was the noisest machine ever invented, and it made it impossible without a sleeping aid to sleep more than 5-10 mins at a time. They offered me a xantax but I didn't want to try something that made me too tired to stay awake while I was helplessly in discomfort. I started to get very uncomfortable by the second night. They had planned to pull my chest tubes in the morning but I complained so much about the pain, they went ahead and pulled them out that night. It hurt a little, but compared to the tube pain, I could live with a brief kick of pain. They probably should have waited for the vicidin to kick in -- both pain relievers seemed to take about an hour to take effect. At one point on the first night I took a shot of morphine while waiting for the percocet to work, which seemed like a good combination but the relief was immediate. Anyway, once the tubes were gone, they pain was very manageable and it was easy to keep up with the pain in the 4 hrs between doses plus one hour to kick in. In fact, at 4pm today I went ahead with extra strength tylenol and so far the pain isn't too bad. I'll probably switch back to vicidin at bed time.

After the tubes were out, I took out my sound machine to drown out the leg compressors and that helped a little and let me get some sleep the second night. The third day (day 2 as they count it, post-op) was a lot more walking and sitting and working on the spirometer. I could get up to about 1500 when I left which is about what they're looking for. While being stuck sitting I couldn't do a whole lot except talk to my wife and read magazines -- I had the nurse bring me some. I used the laptop occassionally but it was hard to focus and after about 30 mins sitting I would feel like dozing again.

I think the same night they took the chest tubes out they removed the IV in my neck and later, my pacing wires. The neck IV was not the kind most people get because they were unable to get it hooked up during the operation, so they went in through my chest near my shoulder. I'm not sure what the neck IV was ever used for, but the failed neck attempts resulted in two holes in my neck that look like vampire bites. The pacing wires didn't hurt coming out but felt really strange, like someone pulling a string out of your chest.

The last day was just about getting the bowel movement I had to have before they let me go. With IBS, bowel movements are unpredictable, even without tons of medication and antibiotics. Fortunately, I "passed" the last test and I was free to go once the instructor came to my room for discharge class. Also on the last day, they replaced my leg compressor with tight stockings (really just very tight socks) which I'm to wear for the next couple weeks. I'm not sure if other hospitals are so concerned about leg blood clots, but Bethesda North spends a lot of time on this.

There's probably a bunch of other things I'm forgetting, but if anyone has questions about what they might expect, feel free to ask. Overall, I would never want to do it again, but I can see a pathway through the hospital stay that would be relatively painless: an anesthesia that's not too strong and doesn't linger for days, no IBS or have it well controlled, having leg compressors that are quiet, getting lucky with chest tube pain. Eliminate those problems and this would have been a very tolerable experience. Hope future OHS patients have such an experience.

You remembered a lot. I had that it my neck too. They told me it was a central line. They did not take mine out until the last day. I have heard many people complain about chest tubes. I don't remember mine. Sorry you had so much trouble w/yours. Good story. Thank you for sharing.

The funny thing about being spooked by the ventilator is that the chest tubes seemed like small stuff to me (although it's been so long, maybe they actually bothered me more than I remember). But thanks for the long, detailed fill-in. Glad you're on the mend!

Wow! That's amazing you have the energy after 3 days to type all that!

I just wokeup after getting a few hours of sleep and now I remember why I wanted to post this story right away -- because I'd forget much of it after my first few hours of sleep. It's weird how once you leave the hospital your brain starts blocking out memories of the whole hospital experience. It freaked me out enough that I took an ativan to relax myself enough to go back to sleep. I'm going to catch up a little on my DVR-recorded shows while I await sleep. I've got enough on the DVR to keep my mind occupied for a few days. My nurse comes to visit at 11:30am this morning to check my INR and overall health. It was 1.8 when I left but probably needs to be bumped up a little for the annuplasty ring. Thank god I have my wife to keep track of all the medications I'm taking -- I'm on over a dozen drugs now, including lipitor, wayfarin, magnesium, potassium, lanoxin, lasix. The toprol XL has been replaced by lopressor, so for now I don't need to worry about any shortages. My heart rate had been around 90bpm sitting, but it's down a little right now to 84. My BP seems to have come down a bit since I got home, around 125/84. They played with the dosage of lopressor, right now I take 2/day at 50mg each, but they might want to lower the dosage if my heart rate comes back down which I expect it will once the digestion system problems subside.

It's weird how once you leave the hospital your brain starts blocking out memories of the whole hospital experience.

It does? Why do I remember mine so well that you have to take me kicking and screaming and douse me with Versed to get me in the door of a hospital now?

Wow you remembered alot of that first I hardly remember anything.I was in ICU for about 24 hours and they pulled the neck IV and chest tubes before I went to the floor.

I am so glad you are done with your actual surgery and now just have to deal with recovery. You were able to write a good report of the events so soon after the surgery. I did not get any Versed so I also remember most of my experience.
Anyway, like I said it is so nice on this side of the mountain. Just please follow your instructions and take really good care of yourself.

Thanks for the great write up. You are so right about forgetting things. Those pace wires and also the drain tube removal. I forgot about those. I expected it to hurt but you are right, just felt really strange!

Good luck with recovery!

Thanks for the write up. It reminded me of things to "look forward to" in a couple weeks.

You'll be fine, Matt. At this moment, 5.5 days out the worst pain I have is in my swollen neck where they failed to install the central line for the IV (the got it just below the neck instead). And I have some pain in my right elbow where they put in a temp IV I don't think they ever used. Neither pain is too bad after taking vicidin, but it's worth noting that a lot of my pain, albeit minor overall, wouldn't even be experienced by those with a normal IV installation. And the swelling should be all gone in a few days so it won't matter.

BTW, today I got to take my first shower at home. It felt great! My wife helped me scrub off the yellow betadine (sp?) but I'll probably have it on for several more days. After the first shower, you really do feel so much better, it makes a big difference. And despite warnings of being tired afterwards, I really wasn't -- I think it gave me more energy.

Incidently, I never used the No-Rinse shampoo while in the hospital but instead used their shower caps washes. Even if you're a guy (assuming you have hair), you'll find it very relaxing to have your scalp warmly massaged and the sweat and gunk cleaned out of your hair. We took a couple of the packages home with us but only ended up using it once -- a real shower is still so much better!

To kind of map out my worst (not average!) pain levels, 0-10, as best I remember them, here they are relative to surgery....

8 hrs after surgery (12pm-8pm): 2
Really too sleepy to feel anything while I was intubated

10 hrs (8pm-10pm): 4
"Pain" was really just the tremendous thirst I had and went away pretty quick with the ice chips and Sierra Mist. No real pain in my chest or shoulders at this point.

First overnight (10am-6am): 7
Had some pain around midnight and started taking percocets which didn't have an immediate reaction so I got a shot of morphine which immedaitely removed the pain, but it only worked for an hour, but by then the percocet kicked in. With the morphine/percocet pain was only around a 3. I switched to vicidin after my 4 hours were up and that seemed to kick in before the percocet died off, and stayed ahead of the pain. So the 7 pain level was very brief.

Second morning (6am-12pm): 4
No real pain here except when I moved. I still had the urinary cath, so moving was for walking around and sitting in a chair. I would feel better, painwise, after moving a little, so exercise of any type (walking, spirometer) does have tangible rewards. But I would feel oh so sleepy. I found the drowsiness more "painful" than the actual pain because I was bored and wanted to do something, even something as simple as watch TV. I found taking to my wife and kids, and the frequent nurse, the best fix for boredom. I actually would get excited when the nurse showed up just cause it meant I would have something to distract me for a few minutes.

Second afternoon (12pm-6pm): 4
Same as the prior 6 hours. Sleeping would have brought me more relief if I could sleep more than a few minutes at a time. I probably should have brought ear plugs! I started to have bouts with gas around this time which gave me abdominal pain. Not as bad as the shoulder pain (chest tube) but distracting.

Second night (6pm-12am): 8
This is where something happened to my chest tubes that caused them to press hard on my lungs, maybe one of my walks jostled them in my chest. And the vicidin didn't seem to work as well now. Around 9:30 I was begging for morphine or something to temporarily relieve me until my next vicidin dose fully kicked in. The nurse decided to go ahead and pull the tubes right then and then give me my next vicidin dose. I went from an 8 or 9 level of pain quickly to a 6 and then about a 2 a few hours later with the vicidin. There was pain from pulling the tube but it was short and because I was already in so much pain, what does a 9 vs 8 matter? After the vicidin started to kick in and I fell asleep for several hours, exhausted from the pain. Mind you, the 8 level of pain only lasted about 1-2 hrs, but emotionally I was drained and that made it seemed much worse. That was the one time I really could have used company to take my mind off the pain (my wife was kicked out a few hours earlier). It was funny that just talking to the nurse when she stopped by for a few minutes -- she has 2 other patients at this time -- made me feel better and I wouldn't argue as much for the morphine... then regret it a few minutes after she left. If possible, try to get someone to stay with you until the chest tubes are taken out, because until then pain will be unpredictable. Also, I asked for and got some maalox anti-gas liquid right before the chest tubes were pulled, because the ab pain was adding to the chest pain. The liquid seemed to help quickly, but I would still deal with gas pain off and on until the first bowel movement. I'm not sure most people would have a lot of this type of pain since I have IBS and get cramps all the time at home.

Second overnight (12am-6am): 4
Continued to sleep, started feeling a little more pain later in the morning, but very manageable. I should note that apparently around this time the nurse removed the "ball" of painkillers on my side that delivered pain relief to my incision, which results in more chest pain than I had previous nights (really never felt chest pain until then -- just pain from the tubes).

Third morning (6am-12pm): 4
More walking, including doing the little steps (very easy). Just felt tired and gassy.

Third afternoon (12pm-6pm): 4
Everything was becoming routine here. A little more pain developed in my neck but it only hurt when I tried to turn my head.

Third night and overnight (6pm-6am): 4
I got my pacer wires removed and urinary cath. Neither hurt much at all, barely felt the cath. But from this point on I'd have to get out of bed every 1-3 hours to urinate. Actually, I felt like I almost always had to go as my you-know-what still felt "open" from the cath for several more hours. All pain came from moving in and out of the bed, and trying to get the pillows just right for my back. I had a minor fever come and go and those waterproof beds/pillows trap bodyheat rather badily. You'd think they'd invent a bed and pillow that wouldn't get so hot so quickly.

Fourth morning (6-12pm): 3
Actually, I probably should put the worst pain at a 7 when a had my first bowel movement and passed a small cactus. But I think that's more of an IBS thing -- I've had to pass similar cacti before when I was on my endo antibiotics. Pain level went down to about a 2 overall after the bowel movement, and I was ready to go!

Home 1st day (12pm-12am): 4
My pain level shot up a bit around the 3rd hour of taking just extra strength tylenol, and when I slept through my vicidin (took it around the 5.5 hr mark), but was mostly a 2-3 during this day. Sleeping in my recliner was very comfortable -- all pain came from the stiffness I felt when I'd get up from the chair.

Home 2nd day (12am-now): 3
Easier to stay ahead of the pain and I'm not trying too hard to wean myself off the vicidin like on the first day -- nurse told me addiction won't happen this quickly. Lots of naps, but unlike the hospital, sleeping is very comfortable. Still can't stay more than 5 hrs awake. A little gassy pain but no more than a 1-2, which I'll live with since I don't know if I can take Gas-X right now.

Latest posts

Back