Swine flu H1N1...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodbutcher

Here's the thing ... With a brand new Aortic valve, mended heart and feeling pretty healthy again after 7 months, do I have heart disease ??
Seems like a silly question but I'm serious ?
People with heart disease or conditions are at a greater risk of complications from H1N1 so where does that leave me and the hundreds of other valvers like me on here ?
Swine flu is now here in my county, cases all around the locality actually so it could only be a matter of time till I contract it.
I dont feel too worried about it but I'm really unsure if I have a heart condition or not .. If you see what I mean ?

You will be probably be considered as 'high risk' when it comes to any flu. The complications, such as secondary infections, can be a problem as they are likely to be bacterial. My GP insists on me having the flu jab each year and I had to have the pneumonia jab too, that is a one off though.

At the moment I am in a quandary as last Tuesday I started getting a mildly sore throat linked to a cold given to me by my baby grandson. I was waiting for it to develop into flu as I knew the whole family had been in contact (Sheffield) but it didn't but the sore throat is much worse now so I am concerned as to whether it has gone from viral to bacterial since there is a little thick sputum too. Today is Sunday, to see a doctor today for antibiotics would cost a lot more than waiting until tomorrow.

I have been advised to always get a flu shot.

People who should get vaccinated each year are:

1.) People at high risk for complications from the flu:

• People 65 years and older;

• People who live in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities that house those with long-term illnesses;

• Adults and children 6 months to 18 years with chronic heart or lung conditions, including asthma;

• Adults and children 6 months and older who needed regular medical care or were in a hospital during the previous year because of a metabolic disease (like diabetes), chronic kidney disease, or weakened immune system (including immune system problems caused by medicines or by infection with human immunodeficiency virus [HIV/AIDS]);

• Children 6 months to 18 years of age who are on long-term aspirin therapy. (Children given aspirin while they have influenza are at risk of Reye syndrome.);

• Women who will be pregnant during the influenza season;

• All children 6 months through 18 years of age.

• People with any condition that can compromise respiratory function or the handling of respiratory secretions (that is, a condition that makes it hard to breathe or swallow, such as brain injury or disease, spinal cord injuries, seizure disorders, or other nerve or muscle disorders.)
2.) People 50 to 64 years of age. Because nearly one-third of people 50 to 64 years of age in the United States have one or more medical conditions that place them at increased risk for serious flu complications, vaccination is recommended for all persons aged 50 to 64.

3.) People who can transmit flu to others at high risk for complications. Any person in close contact with someone in a high-risk group (see above) should get vaccinated. This includes all health-care workers, household contacts and out-of-home caregivers of children 6 to 59 months of age, and close contacts of people 65 years and older.

Woodbutcher,

It is my opinion that if you have had heart disease and have had surgical intervention to correct the problem you will forever be considered to have heart disease. The thing I try to remember is that words are just words and definitions are just definitions. But since those of us that have had one or more of our valves replaced with a valve that is not an "OEM" part (original equipment manufacturer) we need regular follow up and therefore will always have heart disease (or at least a "heart condition"). I would say the same thing about those who have had repairs. The "OEM" part has had to be altered in order to work properly so they would fall into the same category. Therefore it is also my opinion that we will always be more susceptible to infection. And even if the odds are not much different than someone without heart disease, the results of a nasty infection is much more likely to cause results that require serious intervention (like long-term IV antibiotics or valve replacement). My suggestion is to get any immunizations available as insurance and try to avoid people and places where your risk of contracting an infection are higher.

Thank you all very much for your replies and thoughts on this one... The ticking continually reminds me I'm not quite normal anymore and I'm sure any insurence company wouldn't consider me fully mended ?
Your post Bryan makes perfect sense, sadly my valve isn't OEM as you say.
Regards H1N1 I think I should contact my Doctor and see what they say. I feel a bit silly making a fuss when on the surface I look and feel pretty tip top and a bit of a fraud in the waiting room full of ill people .

Woodbutcher glad to see you on again. Thanks for the giggle about being normal. I often have people telling me they can hear a ticking......I wonder where that is coming from :)

Thank you all very much for your replies and thoughts on this one... The ticking continually reminds me I'm not quite normal anymore

I was never normal !

I feel a bit silly making a fuss when on the surface I look and feel pretty tip top and a bit of a fraud in the waiting room full of ill people .

I agree totally !

I was considered high-risk before surgery, not sure about now, but I had aortic stenosis. I consider myself "fixed", but at the same time would not like to get the flu because you start eating silly, maybe even throw up and all that kind of good stuff, and what would that do to your INR?????

swine flu

swine flu

Woodbutcher... I would ring the G P , not physically attend!!
Being a cynic of late , I have to say that I am shocked the NHS does not appear to have a specific plan for people with health conditions. Don't misunderstand, I think NHS is a marvel, my cynicism comes from a lack of faith in human nature and that I am imagining a large amount of panicked people rushing to get their share of tami flu ... you do not need a test to confirm you have it, once symptons match , here is the prescription . The scenario that causes me concern is depleted stocks of tamiflu for people with need... My little boy has a friend with Cystic Fibrosis. You can imagine his mother's concern...

I think the overall advice is , if you think you have it mention it to the health care provider that you have a heart condition and hope that drugs are available ?

Mind you , my GP has recommended the flu jab to me I have yet to accept the offer and so far ... not had the flu ??

A frustrating element to all this to me is the news coverage. Now I probably need to see different news but in instances that people have died there may be mention of an underlying health condition , but no further details , grrr
I then get my children asking if my heart condition is an underlying condition and is cystic fibrosis . Shame for children to worry.

Latest posts

Back