Swelling in legs and feet

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tphillips

I had my aortic valve replaced and a pace maker put in 4 weeks ago. I am still having swelling in my feet and legs, just like before the surgery. I was wondering if anyone else had experience this after surgery and if this is something that I should mention to my cardiologist?

Are you taking lasix or any other meds for fluid? Either way I would call the cardiologist and not wait for your next appt. You might need to either start lasix or increase the dose you are taking.
Do you weigh yourself every day? it really helps to know if you are gaining wieght ect

Basically you should call if you have any concerns--4 weeks is still early. You may need to elevate your feet and legs when sitting. And keep up a walking routine.

I would call your cardiologist. Weigh yourself every day that way you can tell them if you are gaining weight. I have been having weight issues for the last month. When I had to reschedule my cardiologist appointment I let them know. Over the thanksgiving weekend I added 3 to 4 pounds without eating that much at all. In your case with your legs and feet swelling it sounds like you are retaining fluid and should really get it checked out.

I only took Lasix for the first week after coming home. I have been weighing myself, not everyday though. I have noticed that I have been gaining some weight, but dismissed it because of the holidays. I will call my cardiologist and let them know.

I had to take Lanoxin and Lasix for 3 months post-op and then 6 months post-op I had so much fluid-retention that I was admitted to Hospital again and got 5 days of Lasix, IV. I didn't know any better... NOW I know that fluid-retention is not normal and should be treated.

If your resting HR is still high (it happens to a lot of us) you sort-of stay in heart failure and will need something like Lanoxin and Lasix to get rid of the fluids. Your Cardio will know what to prescribe for you. Call him a.s.a.p.

I only stopped using Lasix at about 14 months post-op.

I only took Lasix for the first week after coming home. I have been weighing myself, not everyday though. I have noticed that I have been gaining some weight, but dismissed it because of the holidays. I will call my cardiologist and let them know.

Be sure to let us know what you find out!

As for the weight gain, be sure and get right on it if you start having shortness of breath issues. Jerry wound up back in the hospital for a Pericardial Window procedure to drain off fluid/blood that had gathered in the pericardium. Shortness of breath and weight gain were the symptoms after a very routine recovery right after surgery. This happened about 6 wks later if I remember right; it's been almost 8 years and he's had no further problems.

This is really familiar. As of yesterday, I am 10 weeks post op and still having issues with fluid retention for which I need to take diuretics every day. After my AVR, I woke in the recovery room to find that I had become Puffy the Blow Fish with about 12 lbs of fluid. It took almost two weeks for it to dissipate. Now I usually start out OK in the morning but by 5:00pm I've retained 2-4lbs of fluid. My Cardio says that it is not uncommon but needs to be watched so that it doesn't get out of control.

Larry

I talked to my cardio and they are putting me back on a water pill for a little while. Hopefully, I will need it just for a little bit. I wonder how many people after having an AVR have to take a water pill?

I think just about all of us! Walk as much as you can. Walking general gets things pumped through and out, but sometimes, you have to have a little extra help.

Latest posts

Back