Survivied It

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-Money

Hi Folks.
I made it back from surgery. The folks at UAB took very good care of me. I ended up with a Aortic Root/Valve replacement vs. what I thought was just a valve job. The surgery lasted a short 2 hours and when my family was called to the conference room 2 hours into a 4 hour surgery they thought I was gonner. However, the surgeon finished in lightning fast time. I actually came home Monday night of this week. I wanted to rest some before writing. I surprised that none of the folks who were worked on that day knew of the website. I told them all to go to vr.com because I had learned so much. I'm on my walking/light exercise regimen and living all of the commentary that I read on the site the first few days after I learned of the surgery. I also told them of the extreme amount of support I received from the VR.COM crowd. Thanks to everyone who was there for me and prayed for me/thought of me. The post-op life is rough, but I will survive it. I hope everyone is doing well. If either of the 2 guys at UAB from Florida see this please drop me a line. Thanks again everyone.

Whew! Congrats on making it! Sounds like it was a closer one than anyone would have expected.

Welcome to this side.

When I mentioned web sites (not this one by name) that were providing great info and guidance to my surgeon, he sorta rolled his eyes and said not to put too much trust in what you read off the internet. I also mentioned VR.COM several times to people at UAB. I was beginning to wonder if I was speaking English. I usually got the "that's nice" response. Have they done anything to upgrade/replace/repair the computers so our family can get on the net? I put that in my questionaire and also told several people when I did my follow-up visit.

Take it easy on your recovery time. Just remember God only took one day to rest, I think He will allow us a little longer :D .

Welcome Home and May God Bless,

Danny

Two hours!!! That seems really fast. I'd be interested in knowing how long others' surgeries took and what procedures were performed in that amount of time.

I'm up June 1st for aortic valve replacement and ascending aortic aneurysm repair and haven't asked yet how long I'll be in surgery.

Congratulations! Every time another vr.commer makes it to the other side of the mountain, an angel gets his wings.

Karla

Happy to hear you're home. It sounds like everything was great (relatively speaking).

What valve did you end up with?

Guess you can change the logo under your picture now.

Happy to hear you're home and functional, even if still marginally. It gets better very quickly.

With a root replacement, you want to be cautious about dental work and intrusive medical situations for about six months. Also be as accurate as you can with whatever anti-coagulation you are using through that prime period.

Best wishes,

Congratulations on your successful surgery. Now be good to yourself.

Glad to hear everything went well. Sounds like you made it in record time. What kind of valve did they put in? :)
Kathy H

Wow, T! Back so soon. You are an inspiration to those of us still in the waiting room.

Best wishes for a good recovery.

Danny

Glad to hear you did so well at UAB 'Moneyman'.

I'm not at all surprised by your speedy procedure. Each of the surgeons at UAB is known for their 'subspecialty expertise'. Dr. Pacifico is renown not only for being an excellent heart surgeon, but the speed at which he operates. This benefits the patient by reducing the time on the Heart / Lung Machine, especially in longer / more complicated procedures.

'AL Capshaw' (AVR at UAB under a different surgeon)

My surgery lasted about 5 hours (per my wife--I slept through it all :D ). Guess it took them some time to put everything back in its place :eek: . Your heart IS supposed to be on the right side, isn't it???????!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: .

Continue your recovery.

May God Bless,

Danny

I hope your recovery is smooth, my husband is going through a tough time, I hope we can all make it through this smoothly. Best wishes, Genaro & Veronica.

Welcome Home!

2 hours for such a complex surgery was extremely fast! Who was your surgeon? I am glad you had a very good experience at UAB. Take it easy and and not rush things. The better you gradually start to feel, the more you "think" you can do, but don't.

Take Care and God Bless,

Karl Jaeger

T-Money said:
Hi Folks.
I made it back from surgery. The folks at UAB took very good care of me. I ended up with a Aortic Root/Valve replacement vs. what I thought was just a valve job. The surgery lasted a short 2 hours and when my family was called to the conference room 2 hours into a 4 hour surgery they thought I was gonner. However, the surgeon finished in lightning fast time. I actually came home Monday night of this week. I wanted to rest some before writing. I surprised that none of the folks who were worked on that day knew of the website. I told them all to go to vr.com because I had learned so much. I'm on my walking/light exercise regimen and living all of the commentary that I read on the site the first few days after I learned of the surgery. I also told them of the extreme amount of support I received from the VR.COM crowd. Thanks to everyone who was there for me and prayed for me/thought of me. The post-op life is rough, but I will survive it. I hope everyone is doing well. If either of the 2 guys at UAB from Florida see this please drop me a line. Thanks again everyone.

Thanks

Thanks

Folks.
Thanks for all of the kind words and a big thanks to Ross for changing me from terrified to sore.

Terrified, sore, soreless

Terrified, sore, soreless

T-Money said:
Folks.
Thanks for all of the kind words and a big thanks to Ross for changing me from terrified to sore.

Glad you made ith through so well.

Soon Ross will have to change you from sore to soreless.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back