Surgery Tomorrow 2-6-12 - Aortic graft and replacing BAV with mechanical valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purdue

Surgery tomorrow 2-6-12 in Columbus, OH Riverside hospital. Very helpful information from this site, videos on YouTube, and extremely helpful heart doc and staff explaining each step in the procedure. I would like to share information later on the topic of pre-surgery and year leading up to my surgery and specifically, dysfunctional doctors who brush off symptoms and tell us to wait. I'm sure there are many people who are experiencing both weird and not so weird symptoms and I have some advice on how to navigate through that (my own experiences). Even a heart doctor at Ohio State missed the accumulation of measurements, symptoms, and test results. The biggest single piece of advice I can offer is to push...push...and even add in a serious attitude to get things done. Demand and be serious about fixing yourself and fire your doctor if you don't feel comfortable with them. ER doctors are the worst and they seem to be disconnected with anything past leaking oil or a broken leg / arm. The problem with TAA / BAV type people is EKG's and the like may look normal but a near bursting bulge or very leaky valve won't peg on their ER standard tests and they have their own opinion on how a person should feel. One thing that happens to people in our situation is left jaw, left arm, and left chest / back pain that increases at times. Example: Driving our sports car and I punched it in a round-a-bout for fun. My heart rate elevated (excitement) and the aforementioned pain areas increased drastically and it was hard to breathe. Doctors will be very quick to latch on to events like this and peg it as anxiety as the cause and prescribe anti-anxiety pills. Same if you tell them you have pain in the throat area after eating...you will be pegged with GERD or acid reflux. Pain while eating is from food pressing on the near bursting aorta. I have a whole list of stories like this and in the end, measurements and tests told a good heart doc that I needed surgery ASAP. Everything happens for a reason and I will be happy to share the past 14 months (later) to help anyone who is going through BAV TAA problems. Right now, time to get ready for the rest of my life...

Surgery tomorrow 2-6-12 in Columbus, OH Riverside hospital. Very helpful information from this site, videos on YouTube, and extremely helpful heart doc and staff explaining each step in the procedure. I would like to share information later on the topic of pre-surgery and year leading up to my surgery and specifically, dysfunctional doctors who brush off symptoms and tell us to wait. I'm sure there are many people who are experiencing both weird and not so weird symptoms and I have some advice on how to navigate through that (my own experiences). Even a heart doctor at Ohio State missed the accumulation of measurements, symptoms, and test results. The biggest single piece of advice I can offer is to push...push...and even add in a serious attitude to get things done. Demand and be serious about fixing yourself and fire your doctor if you don't feel comfortable with them. ER doctors are the worst and they seem to be disconnected with anything past leaking oil or a broken leg / arm. The problem with TAA / BAV type people is EKG's and the like may look normal but a near bursting bulge or very leaky valve won't peg on their ER standard tests and they have their own opinion on how a person should feel. One thing that happens to people in our situation is left jaw, left arm, and left chest / back pain that increases at times. Example: Driving our sports car and I punched it in a round-a-bout for fun. My heart rate elevated (excitement) and the aforementioned pain areas increased drastically and it was hard to breathe. Doctors will be very quick to latch on to events like this and peg it as anxiety as the cause and prescribe anti-anxiety pills. Same if you tell them you have pain in the throat area after eating...you will be pegged with GERD or acid reflux. Pain while eating is from food pressing on the near bursting aorta. I have a whole list of stories like this and in the end, measurements and tests told a good heart doc that I needed surgery ASAP. Everything happens for a reason and I will be happy to share the past 14 months (later) to help anyone who is going through BAV TAA problems. Right now, time to get ready for the rest of my life...

Addedto the family calendar .........Godspeed and keep us posted

Hi Purdue,

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers for a smooth and successful surgery.
I'll be looking forward to your updates.

Rob

Good luck :)
Hope everything goes well, shall be thinking of you :)
Love Sarah xxxxx

Add me to the list of well wishes. I go I 2-9. Best to you. Nancy Jane

Good luck and lots of wishes for a speedy and uneventful recovery.

I second pushing doctors when you know something is wrong and are just getting the brush-off. Had we not pushed for some additional testing, my hubby would still be being treated for exercise-induced asthma instead of preparing for a much needed BAV, aortic root and ascending aorta replacement.

Wishing you the best Purdue. I look forward to learning more about your experiences pre (and post) surgery.

Amy

I would of most likely never found out about my heart issue until it was too late if I hadn't pushed. I kept being told it was anxiety, anxiety, anxiety. I knew it wasnt, so finally I found a doctor that would take the time to listen and do tests, and here I am almost a year later, couple weeks shy of my first AVR. So that really is great advice.

That aside, thinking of you today, and hope everything turns out great for you! Best of luck!

Purdue,

Although I am an Ohio State fan, I hope your surgery goes / has gone well. Looking forward to hearing the milestones that you will continue to exceed.

Blessings,

Scott
Age 42...BAVR - 18 Jan 2012-Virginia Hospital Center (www.virginiahospitalcenter.com) - Dr. John Garrett -http://www.virginiahospitalcenter.com/aboutus/vhc/executive/bio_a.aspx

Best wishes with the surgery, I think you are correct in that you have to be mindful of what the docs are telling you, on the other hand at one point you have to try to relax (ha!) and be the patient. Hopefully you can feel confident in your care and focus on your recovery.
You should feel better soon!

I join the ranks of well wishes.....and follow you on Thursday..2/9 let's get better together. ! fast.. Nancy Jane.

I'm late to this thread and hope your surgery went well and you are starting a good, uneventful recovery.

Very good advice to be our own best advocates. We usually know when are bodies are not the way they should be.

All best wishes.

Latest posts

Back