Surgery set for April 13 @ Mass General Hospital, Boston

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misselaines

I've finally got the courage to post something online; my spirits are up at the moment, sometimes I'm unbelievably afraid.
I am scheduled for a cath. on 4/12/10; on 4/13, an Aortic Valve Replacement (mech.) and Ascending Aortic Aneurysm (5.3cm) Replacement and possible total Arch Replacement and possible bypass of the conjoined trunk of the innominate and left common carotid, which is aneurysmal as well. My surgery is being done @ Mass General in Boston, Dr. Thomas MacGillivray is the surgeon; cardiologist is Dr. Eric Isselbacher.
I had an Aortic Valvulotomy surgery in 1972 (9yrs old) @ Boston Children's Hospital. I remember the surgery as a child, but not alot of the details, I do remember the 64 stitches and a stomach stitch:)

I would appreciate any info on what to expect, recovery, personal experiences, etc. from anyone who has had this surgery. (Good vibes, thoughts and prayers appreciated also!)

Thanks,
Elaine

Hi Elaine,

I had BAV replacement and aortic grafting for an aneurysm at Tufts Medical Center in Boston on November 2, 2009. I think you are in good hands at MGH. The time before surgery can be really anxiety-producing. My PCP prescribed an anti-anxiety medication for me before my surgery, because, as she said, "Who wouldn't be anxious?" I didn't take it often, usually at night so I could sleep (worries are always so much bigger in the dark). You can get help for your feelings of terror. Although you didn't say, I'm assuming you're having open heart surgery, which is what I had (I don't think they do aneurysm repair any other way, but I could be wrong). You will be well anesthetized before your surgery, and after it's over you likely won't wake up, at least not for long, for the rest of that day (I think I was awake for about 45 seconds later that night when my husband came in). The next day, I was on morphine all day, and mostly slept, although they did make me get up and sit in a chair, which wasn't fun, but not as uncomfortable as it sounds. I just wanted to sleep more!. I was transferred out of the ICU that night (the day after my surgery) to the step-down unit. From then on, I was on very appropriate pain medication. I didn't have a lot of pain anyway (unless I moved the wrong way), so I didn't need very much. However, I did feel like I was about 120 years old. I was released on the sixth day after my surgery. I was still pretty feeble for a couple of weeks after that, but I started to feel more like my old self four weeks after surgery. You will be restricted in what you can, how much you can lift, and you will need help with a lot of things (like opening jars). I had trouble getting in and out of bed by myself for a while. And you won't be able to drive for a while. I didn't have any stitches that needed to be removed (all self-absorbing), and my incision healed (and continues to heal) well. I also didn't experience any cardiac depression -- I had more of a condition I call cardiac elation. I'm so happy to be here! You'll be in my thoughts. Keep us posted. Good vibes to you.

Dale

Elaine, Welcome to VR

Elaine, Welcome to VR

Elaine, don't be afraid to chat. Talking about what is happening to you is very helpful and here in VR you are talking with a lot of people who know your fears and experiences. Just as Dale described, my own family Doctor expressed her concern that anxiety before surgery and depression afterwards are common aspects of preparing for and recovering from heart surgery. Several weeks before surgery she recommended an antidepressant. You need to be able to focus on recovery, Elaine, without having to battle depression at the same time.

I suspect that your experience with this surgery will be rather different, Elaine. For example, few people have surface staples or sutures because the incision will more likely be closed smoothly without them. Like Dale, I have little memory of the ICU but when I awoke in my room two days later I was struck by the fact that I really felt pretty good. The staff will, indeed, have you up and walking as soon as possible because it is necessary to both help clear your lungs and to improve circulation. You can expect at first to have no stamina and to tire easily but every day you will notice you are stronger. Leaving the hospital at four or five days is very common. It just isn't necessary for most of us to stay any longer than that. By the end of April, you will probably be outside walking a mile or so at a time and beginning to feel healthy.

I would encourage you to look through the VR reference materials as there is a lot of good information here and, I think, you will find everyone is quite willing to provide answers to your questions and reassurance that things are likely to be better than you expect. Glad you found us.

Larry

Hi Elaine,
I hope I can put a few of your fears to rest. We all have our own set of fears and only someone who has or is facing OHS can fully understand.

I had two OHS at Mass General. The first was six years ago and the second just over two years ago. (Before I add more fear to you that I required two because something 'went wrong', that is NOT the case. Both went very well and my first surgery was not valve related.)

I will never be able to thank the wonderful professionals in CICU and cardiac step down for the outstanding care I received both times. Some of the same nurses were still there and some of the techs and PA's etc. I remembered some. They were so caring and competent and have seen it all. It is so reassuring to be in a cardiac unit that you know rates among the top five in the country. When you know the nurses and PA's etc have seen it all. There is just about nothing they haven't dealt with before. The nurses all made it clear they consider pain control as important as controlling blood pressure and fever. They always kept me comfortable and sent me home with appropriate Rx's for pain control at home.

I had no external stitches either time except for the single or maybe two stitches at each chest tube site but that is absolutely nothing when they cllip them to remove the tubes. I think most of the MGH surgeons glue sternal incisions closed. Both times, my incision was glued and then steri strips applied. The steri strips were left in place when I left the hospital and ultimately pretty much came off in the shower. I had to help it along a little. Though my scar was reopened, it healed neatly and has faded to the point I wear low cut, V neck dresses/tops and hardly give my scar a thought in terms of appearance. Sometimes I see someone notice it but I brush it off. That scar is why I am alive wearing those pretty dresses and V necks. :)

I don't personally know your surgeon but if he is MGH Cardio-Thoracic surgeon, he's good or he wouldn't be there.

My second surgery, I was in CICU under 24 hours. I had half a sandwich around noon the day after my surgery and was then moved to step down. As soon as they got me settled, my nurse grabbed a wheel chair, placed the chest tubes collection containers onto the chair, had me hold the back and walked me down the hall. This less than 24 hours out of surgery.

Immediately home, I was able to walk stairs as much as I wished, I walked outside from day two home, I was able to shower and wash my hair and prepare light meals. My DH is wonderful and certainly would have done whatever necessary but I was thrilled to be up to warming whatever our friends had brought us for dinner, to serve it and wash the dishes. I certainly wasn't scrubbing big pots but light clean up was no problem.

We are all different and heal/recover at different rate but count on getting great care.
Hopefully someone here can answer most any question you have.

All best wishes. (I'm sorry this is so long but I hoped hearing from someone who has been through OHS at Mass General might be helpful for you.)

Thanks to all for responding; it helps me keep my postitive attitude toward the upcoming surgery. I will be referring to your replies often.
Yes I am having open heart surgery (full sternotomy). Glue also. I feel that I am where I am supposed to be as far as the doctors/nurse practioners and surgeon go; they are all caring and have made me feel very comfortable.
The surgeon will excise my existing scar for an improved cosmetic appearance before he closes everything up. I'm used to (ignorant) people staring at my scar when I wear v-necks too. It's kinda cool that I'll have a smaller (thinner) scar this time!:cool:

Oh, I forgot in my original post to mention that I have a wonderful, loving, caring husband to take care of me too. I don't know what I'd do without him.
Elaine

Do you know about Dermablend make-up? I just discovered it, although I'm sure lots of people here have used it. While it won't change the texture of your scar, it will pretty much erase the color. Of course, you have to wait until you're healed up enough to use it. Ask your surgeon, and he'll let you know when.

Hi Elaine,
I will keep you in my prayers. Hoping for all the best with your surgery and recovery. I just saw your surgeon on the show that kfay posted about in Small Talk. http://www.pbs.org/wnet/heart/

You will be in good hands there and with your hubby when you get home.
Luana

Latest posts

Back