Surgery scheduled for August 14th

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harley2000

Hi, Another first timer going in for surgery at age 63.

I have a bicuspid aortic valve that Drs. have been watching for several years. I have been getting echo-cardiograms every 2 years for 10 years or so. They also found that the mitral valve was leaking and it was regurgitating enough now to require surgery.
As long as they are going in to repair the mitral valve, they recommended replacing the aortic valve at the same time.
I have gone through the CAT scan, the down the throat echo-gram, and the angiogram. All that is left is the surgery.
I meet with the surgeon again on the 8th for final question and answer meeting. I have almost certain maybe I think decided on a tissue valve. Will see what the surgeon has to say.
Has anyone had a 2 valve operation recently?
Operation is to be done at Mayo hospital in Eau Claire, WI.
I have been reading a bunch of posts on here and have found lots of information.
Not sure of anything right now except, Let's get it over with and see what happens.
Thanks Mike

Hi Mike and welcome to the boards :)
I hope everything goes well for you on the 14th,
I'lll be thinking of you :)
Sarah xxxx

We have some double valvers here who are doing fine. Hopefully they'll be around later to tell you about their experience.

You're going to a fine facility with every good reason to think your surgery will go smoothly and you'll have a good recovery.

Let us know how you are doing.

Hi,
Not sure if this counts, but I had mitral and tricuspid repair at the same time. I'm 61 and had a median sternotomy. I was on bypass for a total of 100 minutes, which (I guess) is a pretty short amount of time. My surgery was May 11 and I'm back at work and feeling great. I hope all goes smoothly for you.
Selma

Welcome kind sir. People gets doubles all the time. Tissue probably a good choice should last till your in your 90s maybe 100! Like you said get er done!

Hi Mike - Welcome to the site; Glad you found it! Hopefully someone with the experience you're asking for will see this and reply. Also, I thought you might be interested to read my experience. At 42 my bicuspid was failing and my mitral valve looked like it might need work also but after my bicuspid was replaced, and while I was still under, my surgeon performed a TEE and found that with the properly working aortic valve my mitral was then working fine and didn't need any work or repair or replacement afterall. Sometimes it happens that way. Anyway, wishing a successful surgery and recovery for you :)

Hi mike
I had mitral valve replaced in 1989 they where planing on replacing my aortic valve also but after getting in there felt it was not necessary. I am 45 now going strong keep you head up. Keep thinking positive let us know how your doing.

Hi Mike,

I'm going in on Friday the 10th but just for an aortic valve replacement. Have to say, it has been on my mind quite a bit! Everyone says the worst part is the waiting, I hope that's the case! I look forward to Thanksgiving, by then we both should be pretty much healed and have a very good reason to be thankful! Best of luck!

Hi, Another first timer going in for surgery at age 63.

I have a bicuspid aortic valve that Drs. have been watching for several years. I have been getting echo-cardiograms every 2 years for 10 years or so. They also found that the mitral valve was leaking and it was regurgitating enough now to require surgery.
As long as they are going in to repair the mitral valve, they recommended replacing the aortic valve at the same time.
I have gone through the CAT scan, the down the throat echo-gram, and the angiogram. All that is left is the surgery.
I meet with the surgeon again on the 8th for final question and answer meeting. I have almost certain maybe I think decided on a tissue valve. Will see what the surgeon has to say.
Has anyone had a 2 valve operation recently?
Operation is to be done at Mayo hospital in Eau Claire, WI.
I have been reading a bunch of posts on here and have found lots of information.
Not sure of anything right now except, Let's get it over with and see what happens.
Thanks Mike
Now posted to calendar Godspeed Mike

Mike, I see your big day is coming up, you'll be in my thoughts for a successful surgery and speedy recovery. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back