Surgery Scars on women...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3Princesses

I'm about 4 weeks after aortic root replacement. Apparently, I'm pretty young for this kind of surgery.. I'm single, live by the beach and it's already swimsuit season! I have always been a very fit and active person, and quite frankly a little vain! I have always worn tank tops and v-necks, strapless dressess... I know that over time, my scars will fade. But right now there's still a little red and gnarly looking, and I feel like they make me look really old! ( at 41, I finally become sensitive about my age!)

My friends tell me to wear what I've always worn and rock those scars cuz they make me a bada$$! LOL! I feel like they make me look old. What are y'all's opinions? Do I cover, or let it hang out?

Last edited:
You can compromise and wear a ScarAway bandage to cover the scar for a few weeks. It contains a medication to help with healing. That's what I did for my return to work when my scar was very raw looking and I was concerned it would gross out my coworkers.

My first surgery was when I was 14. I will never forget when I went back to school wearing a blouse that buttoned and the top of my scar showed. My "best friend" grabbed my shirt and pulled it closed and said, "cover that up its so disgusting". I will never forget how she hurt me by doing and saying that. From that day on I refused to let my scars define me. (I'm 43 and just had OHS #3 10 weeks ago) I wear what I want and don't care what people think or say. I rarely cover it up because it's sensitive and I don't like things around my neck. I do have to admit though right now I'm a little self aware of it because it is so new again, but I'm getting there.

Last edited:
Rfnn2 l am so sorry that someone did that and we're so cruel but you have obviously overcome much and good for you for being such a Warrior.
Honeybunny that's a great idea l never knew of such a bandage but that's awesome.
3Princesses l say rock your scare and wear it proud.
Any other time in my life l would have been mortified at the tough of having such a scare. At this point in my life l am more worried about my flabby arms than l am my scare. However if you guys could see my scare you would maybe be a bit jelous lol but in all seriousness at 55 it's not the worst one l sport. But l guess if you got an amazing fit body and still young and vanity is a thing as believe me it was for me most all of my life so l get it. But l am both proud and pleased with my scare .. just at 2 week you could barely even tell that l had just had OHS.
They only way right now that l can even tell is because l have hit the tanning bed and it became more visible.
Only my thoughts on the matter but l also wouldn't get caught dead on a beach in a bikini today either.
Good luck just go out there and have fun and live your life.

For what it is worth: I hid my scar from the sun for the first summer after surgery. This summer I'll rock my scar proudly... though it is hardly visible.

Honestly, I've never worried about my scars. They're just part of me. But, being a guy, and being "past middle age" I don't really care what people think about them.

Don't forget, what's ugly to some is attractive to others...really :) If nothing else, it can be a conversation starter. Plus, if you live in a city, you realize there are plenty of people young and old with scars many of which are worse than ours.

Beware of sunburn on the scar. I'd keep it covered up with waterproof sunscreen when in the water and a shirt while on the beach, not for reasons of beauty but to protect it from UV light until it heals more thoroughly. I was told by my surgeon, that the over the counter products for scars are no better than a simple moisturizer, which is cheaper.

I'm really happy about my scar. It shows as I don't wear tops which go up to my neck so the top couple of inches of the scar show. After all I went through I consider it a battle scar, and anyway not ugly at all - it's just a white line, but obviously a scar. The first summer I made sure it didn't get the sun, that was to protect it from burn.

Harriet, thank you! It feels strange to be called a warrior, I have never considered myself one, but I like it. :) I guess being a nurse I'm more comfortable being on the other side of medicine and by being there I am able to overcome and forget about me. Thank you!

I hope your feeling better!

Protect the scar from the sun this year and it should heal nicely. Mine is very straight and clean looking after 10 yrs, but all of my sternum wires protrude making it a lot more
'nasty' looking for the people who don't know what OHS is all about. I don't care what others think---this was my battle---and I survived !!

The ScarAway strips are great I can attest to that. They're very comfortable to wear and are skin colored. I'm amazed at how good my scar looks from using ScarAway, it's barely there... after a while I switched from the strips to the gel because I found it much more convenient. The strips are pretty sticky and taking them off got bothersome. I'm in pretty much the same situation as I live in a beach town and still consider myself young and slightly vain. I'm doing my absolute best to keep my scar protected from the sun. I was told that a sunburn on your scar within the first year will make it red permanently. And I don't want that.

Bina, whenever I saw my surgeon last month he said he could remove the wires that are protruding a bit. My body should have absorbed them but didn't. My daughter commented on them just the other day so they are more noticeable than I realized. But like Steve said, at my age I don't care as much.

I love my scar! It means I am now heart healthy and I wear it with pride. Surgery was 4 weeks ago today and I am feeling better than I have had for years!!! Mechanical aortic valve replaced

I love my scar! It means I am now heart healthy and I wear it with pride. Surgery was 4 weeks ago today and I am feeling better than I have had for years!!! Mechanical aortic valve replaced

I swim a lot. I massaged the scars with coconut oil initially. When I could handle more intensity, I had graston done to the scar to minimize the scar; it kept braiding up. My scar person typically works with women recovering from breast surgeries. Two years after my surgery and I occasionally feel a burning sensation over the scar, particularly if exposed to the sun, even through loose cotton shirts. I wear rash guard shirts UPF 50 when I know I'm going out in the sun, and found some other more formal UV protective shirts.

Latest posts

Back