Surgery next week

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

durhash

Hello all,

First, let me say what a great site this is! I am about to undergo surgery next week to replace my bicuspid aortic valve. I am 29 years old, just diagnosed 6 months ago with aortic regurgitation. My left ventricle has dilated significantly during the 6 months so the surgeons feel like we should go ahead and replace. I will be getting the On-X valve.

This has all come as a shock to me and I am more scared than I have ever been in my life. I have a great surgeon and have full faith in him. But I have never had major surgery before and I just think of all the things that can go wrong and it terrifies me. If anyone has any reassuring words, they would be greatly appreciated!

durhash FIRST let me WELCOME YOU TO THE OHS FAMILY.........READ, ask questions and read some more ......this community is a wealth of knowledge and experience

what is your surgery date so that we can mark it on the family calendar

Godspeed

Surgery is scheduled for next Tuesday, January 10th. Thank you for your support!

YOU ARE ON THE CALENDAR

A heart felt WELCOME to our OHS family glad you found the site most of the community are OHS brothers and sisters, there are some minimally invasive so ask away, there is a wealth of knowledge here for the future .....

Bob/tobagotwo has up dated a list of acronyms and short forms http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8494&d=1276042314

what to ask pre surgery http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...68-Pre-surgery-consultation-list-of-questions

what to take with you to the hospital http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?13283-what-to-take-to-the-hospital-a-checklist

Preparing the house for post surgical patients http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...Getting-Comfortable-Around-the-House&p=218802

These are from various forum stickies and there is plenty more to read as well

And Lynw recently added this PDF on what to expect post op
http://www.sts.org/documents/pdf/whattoexpect.pdf

IF YOU THINK OF IT ask someone to update our family here in the forum

Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Durash! You are going to do great! I understand the fear factor, as my surgery is scheduled for 01/18 and I have 3 yound children, but through my research, I truly trust in the system and how great modern medicine truly is. It is human nature to think the worse during down times...control your feelings and do your best to maintain a positive attitude....at your age, I see many goals of your goals reached...this will only make you stronger...be prepared for a major accomplishment because of this :D

To your success,

SB42

Durhash,

All of us who have been through this process remember how scary the days leading up to the operation can be, and feel that the waiting is the worst part of the process. For the actual surgery and recovery, you will be in the hands of professionals who have a huge amount of experience helping set people up for their new lives. We are very lucky to be living in this day and age, when operations like this are seen as routine. My best advice is for you to listen to what your nurses say after your operation, since they really do know what they are talking about and want the best for you. Don't dwell on the small chance that things can go wrong, but focus on the high odds that you have for a splendid recovery.

Durhash,
I found that the pre-surgery waiting is the worst. I was much like you, never knew and all of a sudden I was going into surgery within 2 months. I am 32 years old and had an On-x valve put in 3 weeks ago tomorrow. I feel great and the recovery has been without incident. I actually met with my surgeon today and he said I could return to work and start driving if I was up for it. I think i am going to wait 1 more week. Please let me know if there are any questions that you might have.

Don't worry you will be just fine.

Jeff

Thank you all so much for the encouragement! I actually am feeling much better. I do think this waiting probably will be the hardest part. But I know I am in great hands. It is so encouraging to know that there are others who have been through or are going through what I am. It's great not to feel alone!

Hello :)
I've had 2 aortic valves replacements (one tissue and one mechanical) I hope everything goes well for you! Will be thinking of youuu
Love Sarah xxx

Hi durhash,

I'm 25 and as I read your post I felt as if it was my own. I will be having almost, if not, the identical surgery Feb 23. This too is my first MAJOR surgery, or any surgery really for that matter. I knew I had a heart murmur in 08', however around June and July of last year is when I got the news broken to me that I need surgery. I was in shock, absolutely terrified, and kind of in denial until I set the date. I'm new to this site too, but the people in this community are nothing but great, and without them, their experience on what to expect, and overall just demeaner on OH, I would still be sliding downhill. But because of them I'm able to continue to keep climbing back up mentally. I'm having my own struggles, but like someone mentioned, you're in good hands, you're young, technology and advancement in knowledge on the human heart is on your side.

Keep your chin up and you'll be in our thoughts for a healthy and speedy recovery!

Maybe when you get a chance you can let us all know it went well.

There's a bunch of us Jan/Feb people here. My AVR is scheduled for 1/19. This morning is the pre-admission interview. Is it wrong of me to say I'm looking forward to it? I want this thing done so I can move on. It's been 2 years since the initial diagnosis AVS. (always had a heart murmur) I have great doctors, my partner is an ER nurse and a wonderful group of nurse friends who are prepared to step in. Plus - all my new online friends here. I'm very lucky indeed.

This is my 2nd major procedure so I have a rough idea of what to expect. The first one was gall bladder in 98. It couldn't be done laproscopic so I have the full 12" incision. 8 days in the hospital, 2 in ICU. Except for one NASTY nurse in ICU (to this day, if I see her in a dark alley - watch out) it was an OK experience. Big surgery - and I'm alive to talk about it. I'll second what's been said about 'Listen to the nurses'. They're underpaid for the care and attention they give you.

Now - I say I'm ready now. Ask me again in a week. HA!

Hi Durhash,

Your thoughts and feelings are perfectly normal! I had my surgery almost 8 months ago but had an awful 10-month wait leading up to this during which I had every bad thought going! So I do understand how you feel. The silly thing is that now I am on the other side I think a lot of my pre-op feelings were rather unfounded and that I probably made myself unnecessarily miserable about it.

My advice would be to try not to dwell on it too much, if you can. Yes, there are certain risks but it does help to try and keep these fears in perspective - in reality these are all unbelievably small risks, particularly for a "youngster" like you who is probably otherwise moderately fit and well (pardon me but I have a son close to your age, so you are a young 'un to me ;)). This type of surgery is well understood these days, and successfully performed on a great many people every year. Aftercare, pain control and the post-operative period are equally well understood and catered for. The medical staff have so much experience these days that everything is pretty much routine.

The chances are you will do very well! Yes, it is a challenging situation but many people cope with it every day and I have learned that the human body has a totally remarkable capacity to heal itself, I found my own physical tolerance and recovery both fascinating and amazing. You will too. Give yourself six months and you will be pretty much back to feeling quite normal again... and with a normal life expectancy for a person of your age. Personally I am delighted to have a life to look forward to now rather than the 3-5 years to total valve failure that they gave me before my surgery!

So make plans for your future, you will be alright... probably better than alright eventually, I'm sure of it!

Welcome to this great friendly site. You are in your right to feel scared. Most of us did to some degree. It appears you have faith in your doctors and that is what will get you through this. The medical personnel that you have and will encounter have this down to a fine science. Do what they say before and after surgery and you will bounce back pretty quickly. Maybe even plan a mini-vacation for about 8 months out that way you have something to look forward to. Oh and by the way, I will have you in my prayers on the 10th of Jan cause that day is my 36th wedding anniversary. :)

Darah, welcome. I echo all the comments above about the time leading up to the surgery is the worst. I had AVR surgery a year and a half after diagnosis -- it seemd so far off when I shceuled the surgery, but, time just flew and it was time beforeI knew it. I also experienced a real calm before the surgery that others have expressed on this forunm as well. I think that is in part due to the helpful encouragemnt and knowledge gained from others on this site who have gone through what you are going thjrough now, so explore and learn and don't be shy about asking questions. You'll find this is a very friendly, supportive place.

I'll be thinking of you come your surgery day.

Dan

Durhash. Ditto all these posts. Seems we have a lot of jan - feb AVRS as Dave says. Mine is 2-9. So do good & keep us posted. Best to you. Nancy

Latest posts

Back