Surgery done, worst thing?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I loved getting my drain tubes out. It felt weird for sure, but they were damn uncomfortable while they were in. I was so happy when they yanked 'em. I knew I was getting close to going home!

The worst for me was what my nurse called "the 2nd day slump". My 2nd day after surgery was a real downer. Depressed, hot-cold-hot-cold, couldn't sleep, nausea from the diloted, etc.

The breathing tube. I started to hyper-ventilate. I thought I was going to suffer couldn't get any air. Removing the drains tubes was a closed second.

The breathing tube. I started to hyper-ventilate. I thought I was going to suffer couldn't get any air. Removing the drains tubes was a closed second.

Since I had trouble with gagging/dry heaves during my TEE's, I requested they keep me mildly sedated with Versed or Valium till they could pull the tube. Don't really know if they did or not, but I made it through intubation with flying colors.

I think the breathing tube was the worst but I'm kind of having amnesia about it. The clearest memory of the worst was the pace maker wires coming out. Holy crap I couldn't believe I didn't die from that. It felt like someone was ripping wires out of my heart. That was the worst pain. But second to that is how one expects to get a little better each day but surprise surprise it doesn't always go that way. Between constipation, plural effusion, nerves coming back to life, side effects of meds etc. I'm only a little more than two weeks out but every day I just have new problems when I was hoping to feel a little better each day. I understand why people get depressed after this surgery, I think I'm going that route.

The worst part for me was the removal of the catheter. The removal of the breathing tube was not a big deal; probably because I barely remember it. The 2nd worst part was that the muscles in my upper back were killing me once I "woke up". They did not hurt, but were very uncomfortable. I would have paid anything for a massage therapist at that point.

I am now 3 months out from surgery. My entire hospitalization was not that bad. This was my 4th heart surgery and my second as an adult. I was told that I fought that vent so my tube came out early. I don't remember it at all. I was also told that I did not have a pleasant evening after surgery, but I don't remember it. The pain was manageable. This time pain meds were given before tubes were removed so it was not as bad. It was also done by sweet ICU nurses so they took there time instead of a resident that was in a hurry. I was up moving with minimal difficulty within 72 hours of surgery. My doctor told me that I did not act like her typical adult patient and that I should be the poster child for the surgeon. My sister that stayed with me a couple of weeks was fantastic. The worst part was not being able to drive for six weeks. I am single and do not live close to public transportation. It was the beginning of summer so all my friends were busy with there families and did not come by. I would have done a back flip if I could when I could finally drive again.

Debbie

I don't have any bad memories at all. Yes, I remember the breathing tube being there when I woke up in the ICU, but for me it was an immediate reminder of what had happened to me. I just accepted that it was there to help me and it was removed before I knew it.
Yes, the removal of the drainage tubes was a sort of weird sensation but it couldn't be described as hard or traumatic. Same with the pacing wires.
The whole experience was far less bothersome that it had been in my mind and I hope this reassures others. It doesn't come with any guarantees of course and clearly some folks have more negative experiences than others - I just want to say that it's also possible to be lucky like me and not have any traumas or bad experiences at all.

I also forgot to write that the departments policy was that sleep and eating was not to be interrupted unless absolutely necessary. Blook work, x-rays, etc waited until I naturally woke up by myself. They knew that sleep and nutrition were important for healing. I don't understand why other hospitals including my own don't follow this simple rule.

Debbie

I also forgot to write that the departments policy was that sleep and eating was not to be interrupted unless absolutely necessary. Blook work, x-rays, etc waited until I naturally woke up by myself. They knew that sleep and nutrition were important for healing. I don't understand why other hospitals including my own don't follow this simple rule.

Debbie

I think Childrens hospitals put more thought into what is best or at least try to make it as nice as possible for the patient. When Justin had his last surgery he could have had it at CHOP or U of Penn,(they are next to each other) He picked CHOP and Dr.Spray said he was glad, because he thought Justin would be happier there. Usually when he's at CHOP there are a few CHD patients older than him there.

I think the breathing tube was the worst but I'm kind of having amnesia about it. The clearest memory of the worst was the pace maker wires coming out. Holy crap I couldn't believe I didn't die from that. It felt like someone was ripping wires out of my heart. That was the worst pain.

Gosh, I felt absolutely nothing when the wires were removed.

Good job, Ajay. Glad you're home. Let the healing begin!

PS My worst memory was while I was intubated, a nurse slid a second tube down my throat. I remember gagging and then it was maybe a suction tube, I'm a bit fuzzy, but I remember for a split second not being able to breathe. As I couldn't speak, I was trying to convey this by my terror-filled look in my eyes. I just wish I could remember which nurse it was, I'd hunt her down and kill her. No bedside manner, just business as usual. STILL MAD!!

Lyn,

What is so sad is that I work at a children's hospital. Over all we definitely are more compassionate then most adult hospitals. but we definitely have room for improvement.

Debbie

By far it was whatever they were trying to pass off as roast beef sane shape and texture as shoe leather
24.gif
.........................maybe THAT is where my missing foot wear went??????????
1847.gif

all joking aside to truly understand why I feel this way see...... http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?35967-MY-Son-s-wedding&p=466734#post466734

Last edited:
Sorry there is more. This might not be a problem anyone else has had but in the hospital everyone and their mothers called me and my husband offering up prayers and sympathy but when I got home unable to drive or cook who came to my rescue? My mom took a week off of work, she was great and my husband cooked dinner but nobody else would help. My mom is back at work now and I am tired of being stuck here eating cereal out of the box. My husband is at work till five and it's just very disappointing I had many people concerned about my surgery but can't help me now. I think the surgery for them was dramatic and people just enjoy drama. Driving me to the grocery store is not so nobody wants to do it.

Just thought I'd let everyone know I'm out of hospital and thank you for the good wishes.

Not to sound glum to future patients, but I'm interested in finding out what people think is the worst thing about the operation?

Do the endless commercials featuring the Progressive Insurance woman count?

Seriously, having to spend approximately 24 of the first 40 hours after waking up either tubed or on CPAP and the nurse I had during the latter who wouldn't give me a piece of paper and something to write with so I could communicate that I felt almost ready to swallow my tongue.

Sorry there is more. This might not be a problem anyone else has had but in the hospital everyone and their mothers called me and my husband offering up prayers and sympathy but when I got home unable to drive or cook who came to my rescue? My mom took a week off of work, she was great and my husband cooked dinner but nobody else would help. My mom is back at work now and I am tired of being stuck here eating cereal out of the box. My husband is at work till five and it's just very disappointing I had many people concerned about my surgery but can't help me now. I think the surgery for them was dramatic and people just enjoy drama. Driving me to the grocery store is not so nobody wants to do it.

I am sorry no one is helping now that you are home and need help. Have you called and asked anyone? I know from our experience, people don't want to stop by or call, when Justin (or My Mom after her 2 surgeries) first gets because they are afraid to bother us or wake Justin ect. BUT they would love to help, just don't know exactly what we need help with. But If I call people and ask for something specific, they are more than happy to help and are glad we asked, because they wanted to do something just didn't know what.

The fear when I developed a clot and they overdid the heparin and had to give me a transfusion. Next not knowing when I would get out of the hospital. Last, sneezing.

Did OK on the vent, no vomiting, drain tube removal was no biggie. Actually a lot less painful than anticipated.

I'm sorry your feeling abandoned. But I have to second the thought that maybe you need to reach out to people to let them know you still need help. Most people don't have first hand experience with this kind of surgery and don't realize that you are out of commission for quite a while. Let a couple of friends or your church if you have one, know that you need help. Rides to the store, a couple of meals, even just some company. I think you'll be surprised at the response. Hang in there, it will get better.

Latest posts

Back