Surgery completed

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harley2000

Hi:

Update on my other thread. I had the surgery on August 14th. Minimal invasive, replaced aortic and repaired the mitral.

I was undecided on which type of valve to ask for right up to the last visit with the surgeon on the 8th. He said that he couldn't tell me what to do but he would tell me what he would tell his brother if he was in my place. We went over all the questions that I had and 2 days later I chose the mechanical.

I was on the table for 8 hours. First 2 days in the ICU went really well. The morphine might have had something to do with it. They didn't have a room open to move me to so I spent an extra day and a half in ICU. Nurses were great.

Third day was a bit of a downer with me being mainly very tired and not wanting to do much.

Surgery Tuesday and the Drs. were talking about letting me go home on Saturday. They all said that as far as they were concerned I could go. I didn't feel really ready so stayed till noon on Sunday.

Only had pain that was a bit too much on one night when we tried to skip some pain pills. Otherwise pretty much pain free.

Now just trying to control myself and overdo it.

Even though everything well well, I wouldn't want to do it again even if it might be 15 years down the line.

Thanks for the thoughts and responses on the other thread.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the update! I hope your recovery goes smoothly for you, take it easy and walk when you can!!!

Good thoughts your way!

Rachel

So happy it went so well for you.
Take it slow and easy.
Wishing you a bump free, easy recovery.

Hi:

Update on my other thread. I had the surgery on August 14th. Minimal invasive, replaced aortic and repaired the mitral.

I was undecided on which type of valve to ask for right up to the last visit with the surgeon on the 8th. He said that he couldn't tell me what to do but he would tell me what he would tell his brother if he was in my place. We went over all the questions that I had and 2 days later I chose the mechanical.

I was on the table for 8 hours. First 2 days in the ICU went really well. The morphine might have had something to do with it. They didn't have a room open to move me to so I spent an extra day and a half in ICU. Nurses were great.

Third day was a bit of a downer with me being mainly very tired and not wanting to do much.

Surgery Tuesday and the Drs. were talking about letting me go home on Saturday. They all said that as far as they were concerned I could go. I didn't feel really ready so stayed till noon on Sunday.

Only had pain that was a bit too much on one night when we tried to skip some pain pills. Otherwise pretty much pain free.

Now just trying to control myself and NOT overdo it.

Even though everything well well, I wouldn't want to do it again even if it might be 15 years down the line.

Thanks for the thoughts and responses on the other thread.

Mike

Mike while we say BRAVO we will not say ENCORE !!!!!! Hope I added the right word in red ?

Thanks for the update. Good to hear you're home and healing. I hear you on the part about not wanting to go through it again in fifteen years. Same for me. Though it went smoothly enough, doing it all once is enough for me.

Best of luck to you on a speedy recovery from here.

Latest posts

Back