Surgeon's in Chicago

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

Nck Nikolov

:)Hi my name is Nick.My cardiologist told me that my valve must be replaced in the next two mounth's. Do eny one could recomend some good surgeon in Chicago area.Please help me to find one good surgeon in Chicago area.

Hi Welcome. I don't have personally experience with them, but Northwestern is very good and McCarthey is one of the best surgeons in the country.

Nick,
Welcome to this site.
I can't answer your question, but we have a lot of members from the Chicago area. I'm sure you will get some responses soon.
Rich

Welcome aboard and good luck. I am sure you shall receive many recommendations from other members and meanwhile you can check out Dr. McCarthey who Lyn recommended to you.

Keep us posted :)

New Member urgently needs a Chicago area surgeon recommendation

New Member urgently needs a Chicago area surgeon recommendation

New member Nick Nicolov is having difficulty locating a surgeon in the Chicago area. Several have responded to his threads and offered McCarthy as a possibility, but that's the only name he has received so far.

I'm not sure where Bloomingdale is, Nick's location, but I assume it's a suburb?

Bloomingdale is about 20 minutes from me. I live in "the burbs" and go into the city to see my cardio It's not a tough drive, or train ride. I would say McCarthy too. If you're in the area - why not seek out the very best?

I've also heard he has some very good surgeons working with him. That would be my first place to start - McCarthy. And if McCarthy doesn't pan out - I'd ask HIM for suggestions.

Hello,
I am new here and I am meeting with Dr. Henry Sullivan this afternoon, who is a surgeon at Alexian Bros Hospital in Elk Grove. I heard good things about him, and I will let you know what I think after I meet with him.

Hello,
I am new here and I am meeting with Dr. Henry Sullivan this afternoon, who is a surgeon at Alexian Bros Hospital in Elk Grove. I heard good things about him, and I will let you know what I think after I meet with him.

Thanks for letting us know!:)
If you get a chance, start a thread in pre-surgery and tell us what brings you to VR.:) It's one of those things where we're happy you're here but wish it were under better circumstances.;)

My surgeon was Dr. Robert March at Rush University Hospital. I live in the west burbs and getting to Rush is very easy. Dr. march is a very good surgeon with many Ross Procedures and aortic valve repairs under his belt. He is also a nice guy to deal with. Rush has a great heart surgery center.

Mary, you have VR family to help you out in Chicago...but we are not thinking replacement anytime soon!

Just hope he is around in approx 15-18! God willing...my card seems to think that will be the time frame for a redo. Coming up on ten years.

I can't speak from actual experience, but I am in a similar situation. I am in Chicago and recently went from certain surgery to it being about a 50% possibility. I asked for Dr. McCarthy and chose Northwestern because it came highly recommended. I didn't really know where to go. Dr. McCarthy said that he was very busy this spring and probably would not be able to do it and suggested one of his team, Dr. Malaisrie. I have talked with him twice and like him so far. The only thing that I know that I don't like is that he will not use the on-X valve.

Dr. McCarthy's team includes himself, two other doctors from the Cleveland Clinic, and Dr. Malaisrie, who did a post doc at Stanford (http://nmhphysicians.photobooks.com/profile.asp?pict_id=10972&LastnameSearch=Y&Lastname=malaisrie). From what I could gather they seem to be referring almost all Aorta patients to Dr. Malaisrie now.

Like I said, I have only talked with him, but from that he seemed good.

For the most part I have been happy with Northwestern. I like my cardiologist and the team of doctors they have working with me. Some of the attendees I saw in the hospital left something to be desired. On the whole I have been happy though.

I am going in for surgery for my aortic aneurysm on March 16 at Northwestern. My cardio is at Northwestern and had me set up with Dr. Malaisrie. He is a younger guy at 36. But he was brought in directly by Dr McCarthy to deal with all Aorta issues. He was very personable and was able to answer all my questions. I agree with Matt though, OnX was not an option for him. I did love that he is trying to do a valve sparing surgery on me which is not too common. He is also very optimistic about the future of valve replacement surgery. Meaning non-invasive eventually. So he is now the expert on aorta's at Northwestern. After reading all about McCarthy, I did meet with him also. He was very nice and reassuring but suggested that I go with Malaisrie. He was nice though and could tell I was nervous so scheduled my surgery on a day when they were both going to be in surgery in case he was needed. Overall I trust McCarthy and my cardio, Dr Bonow on their suggestion as they are both the chiefs of cardiology at Northwestern which is a great hospital. Good luck with your decision!

One other suggestion. I live in Chicago, so NW is easy for me. My brother is an orthopedic surgeon in Barrington, IL. He does surgery out of Good Shepherd there. He recommended Dr. Timothy V. Votapka. I actually met with him on a more friendly basis with my brother and thought he was just great. I really would have considered going there if it weren't so far away. I guess the cardio area is brand new as well. My brother said all of the other surgeons are jealous of their facilities. I don't know the details but in the waiting area they had banners saying that they were voted the #1 cardio hospital.

I come from Australia so cannot help you with the surgeon. Good luck with the surgery though and know we are all here for you if you need us.

welcome to VR. you will get all your questions answered. be sure to stick around.

p.s. can't answer your question but others have much much information. just wanted to welcome you.

I had an aortic valve repair done in 2002 by Dr. Robert March at Rush University in Chicago. Dr. March is very experienced and very respected, and the Rush program is very good. If I ever have to do it again he would be my first choice.

Latest posts

Back