Surgeon ratings

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulieS

Hello -
As I read through all of the threads I alot of high ranked surgeons by folks for certain procedures. I just found out my surgeon from Mayo retired... SO SAD! How do you folks know who is the best ranked for multiple valve replacement surgery?:angel: Thank you

Be sure the ASK any/all Surgeons that you interview about their experience doing "re-do's".
The most experience "re-do" Surgeons will most likely be found at the Major Heart Centers.
You can usually find brief profiles of the Surgeons by looking at the websites of the Hospitals of interest.

Dr. Pettersson at Cleveland Clinic lists "re-do surgery" as one of his 'special interests'.
I expect that CC (and Mayo Clinic) have Several Surgeons with considerable experience doing 're-do's.

'AL Capshaw'

Hello JulieS!
I'm not recommending Dr Pettersson, but he did do my surgery 4/6/11. The main thing that impressed me was that all of his team & a few others mentioned to us before surgery was that he was the fastest. I was only on the heart lung for 45 mins. I had a an AVR. he fixed my dialated aorta with my own tissue & patched a hole between the atria. For me the hardest part has been to get great/I'll take good followup care for the surgery here in town.
If your surgeon wouldn't have retired now he would have soon, it's a pistol but I guess it was time.
Daiva

Hello -
As I read through all of the threads I alot of high ranked surgeons by folks for certain procedures. I just found out my surgeon from Mayo retired... SO SAD! How do you folks know who is the best ranked for multiple valve replacement surgery?:angel: Thank you

If you are trying to stay at the Mayo, since it is closer to you and you have a "history" there, they obviously have many other very, very good surgeons. I think one that has been used by several people on here, is Dr. Hartzell Schaff. If you do a search for him on here, I'm sure you'll find several threads describing people's experience with him.

Kim

If you are trying to stay at the Mayo, since it is closer to you and you have a "history" there, they obviously have many other very, very good surgeons. I think one that has been used by several people on here, is Dr. Hartzell Schaff. If you do a search for him on here, I'm sure you'll find several threads describing people's experience with him.

Kim

Beside having a history at the Mayo, another good thing about the Mayo is, since you were asking about surgeons that have the most experience with multiple REDOs, The surgeons and centers that have the most experience with Multiple REDOS are the ones that do alot of Congenital Heart Defects (CHDs) surgeries in children and adults. Since The people that usually need multiple surgeries (3 or more) and some of the most complex heart surgeries are usually the ones with Complex CHD.
The Mayo has a very good reputation for both CHD and adults with CHD patients.

Hello JulieS!
I'm not recommending Dr Pettersson, but he did do my surgery 4/6/11. The main thing that impressed me was that all of his team & a few others mentioned to us before surgery was that he was the fastest. I was only on the heart lung for 45 mins. I had a an AVR. he fixed my dialated aorta with my own tissue & patched a hole between the atria. For me the hardest part has been to get great/I'll take good followup care for the surgery here in town.
If your surgeon wouldn't have retired now he would have soon, it's a pistol but I guess it was time.
Daiva

I am! I have the opportunity to talk with many patients who have had Dr. Pettersson as their surgeon. Many of which are like us and have had multiple surgeries and in a number of cases multiple valves worked on in the same surgery. From what I've heard and experienced, he is extremely skilled in the art of redo surgeries.

Scott

Latest posts

Back