Surgeon has Completed 5 Robotic MVP repairs - Should I be the 6th?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would NOT want to be the 6th patient a surgeon is performing robotic surgery on, if I had a choice. The number of surgeries exactly similar to mine would be one of the most important criteria in selecting a surgeon. I also agree with all the opinions that although recovery is important, the most important thing is the actual valve outcome, however that is achieved. Especially true for your first time surgery. Good luck! I hope your surgery and recovery is smooth.

Ha I have had 3 surgeries and really don't know if I was in a dedicated ICU or a special cardiac one!
I would also agree to go with the surgeon who has lots of experience with this procedure and is recommended by your cardiologist as one he or she would use for it.
My experience in ICU was good. I slept and had no issues with noise or stuff going on around me. I was in one day(1 nurse just for me) and then a step down one day (1 nurse for 3 patients)
then into the main cardiac floor room where sleep is hard to get after a day or so when you are feeling better and not so drowsy.
It's just noisy in the hospital. Doors slamming, people talking outside your door, doctors coming in to see you or your roommate, cleaning people, nurses, blood draws, etc etc. It starts at 4am with blood draw, 7am for surgeon visit, and so on. You want to go when it's time, believe me!
All the best to you.
(Asked my husband about the dedicated ICU and he said it was a cardiac ICU.)

Hi Richard, I don't want to be a downer here, but as someone who is getting ready for this life-changing surgery I have to say that if you can manage to travel a little bit for your surgery, I would find someone more experienced to do this for you. You only get one chance for the best care possible. While doing my own research on another site, I came across the name Dr. Joseph Bavaria. He's a surgeon at Penn Medicine in Philadelphia. I found him because he's been pioneering aortic valve repair, so I'm pretty sure he has done quite a bit of mitral valve repair. (Aortic repair is fairly rare, but apparently they are getting better at it.) He's done about 6,000 open heart surgeries.

Whatever you decide, I hope it goes smoothly for you!

Hi everyone,

Well I've made my decision, no I will NOT be the sixth!

This was a tough decision but now that it's made I feel reall good about it. I decided to go with Dr. McMurtry at St. Jo's. Primarily for these reasons:

Surgical experience:
- McMurtry has the MOST experience with my specific situation, and overall has more experience with internal heart surgery with the other valves too. This is not to diminish the other surgeon's capabilities, and if I needed bypass surgery she would be my first choice. But since we're talking VALVES here -- I want to go with the one who has the most VALVE experience.
- McMurty plans the minimally invasive technique - but NOT using the robot. After much review, I could not find a specific advantage to using the robot. However I found one major disadvantage -- TIME. The robot procedure almost doubles the length of time in surgery. Why does this matter? The heart/lung machine! It is your friend, yes, but also your enemy. Every minute you spend on the machine increases the probability of complications. You want your time on that machine to be as short as possible. This became a major influence on my decision making process.
- McMurty offering a better mortality rate of 1% vs 5%. I do not know why there was such a difference between the two, and I do not know if the 4% differential is statistically significant, but hey, I'll take the better odds!

Hospital factors:
- St. Joseph's made the top 50 cardiovascular hospital list in 2013 (as rated by Truhaven Health analytics)
- St. Joseph's will keep me in ICU until I am discharged - Reading would send me from ICU to another floor after 24 hours. I like that I would be cared for by nurses with a higher degree of specialization throughout my entire hospital stay at St. Joseph's.

Other/Intangible
- My initial introduction to McMurty came from a radiologist friend who highly recommended him. He basically said if it were not for McMurty in our area he would go elsewhere out of the county. A personal recommendation like that is really of value to me.
- I also reached out to an acquaintance and neighbor who is a critical cardiac care nurse at St. Joseph's. She had mostly good things to say about both options. Her negative on St. Joseph's was the fact that there is no cardiac physician or assistant on staff 24/7 - they are on call during the night. So for the most part it is just the nurses on night shift. But when I asked her what counts most --- her answer was experience and technique of the surgeon above all else. I like her and basically would be under her care in the ICU for my entire stay at St. Joseph's. And if I had any trouble after discharge, she just lives down the street!
- Ultimately McMurty gave me greater comfort and increased confidence in his ability to get the job done. I was excited and pumped up about getting this done after I met. I really was!! Contrast that with McCarty, when I left her office - I was scared... I think it's important for me to have utmost confidence in the surgeon, I don't want to be lying there on the table wondering if I made the correct choice. Right or wrong, I definitely felt more comfortable with McMurty.

So there you have it. On February 28th I hope to join the ranks of the MVP Repaired.

Richard

Dear Richard,
I'm sorry to join this thread so late - I was going to pitch you to have the MVR robotically at Cleveland (like I did) - but it seems like you did a great job weighing the pros and cons and have placed yourself in very good hands. More experience = best choice! My surgery was summer of 2010 and I remember well the many considerations to make. After your surgery, remind me to tell you about my post-op experience. In the meantime, you should be comforted to know that this type of surgery is straightforward and it's all worth it. I'm in great shape and feel grateful every day. Best of luck. John

Richard,
I'm glad to see you've made your selection, and I think it's the best choice. Besides, you're only 43 so I'm sure you'll be jogging the halls by day 3 post-op;)

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back