Supraventricular Tachycardia

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missy

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Does anyone know anything about supraventricular tachycardia? I know it it rapid heart beat but what little information I can find on computer is not really too informative. Is there ever an underlying cause other than heart deformity? I know stress and a number of other things can cause it but it that really the real cause or is it just something that aggravates and brings it out?
I know that it can be fatal but then one site on the computer says it is not. I know that the meds are trial and error and epidodes may occur while wearing monitor or not while trying to find the right medicine. Each episode could be fatal. I know that if no medicines help that one might need an ablation.

But I don't know what really causes it and why it can come on a person just all of sudden with no previous heart problems.

Please help with information, please!

Hi Missy -

I just have time for a quick reply right now. Here is something Tobagotwo posted on March 23, 2007 in reply to a member, Harmony:

"...The one that will feel scariest will be the SVT (Supraventricular Tachycardia). Although the ventricle is mentioned, it really is when the the atria (at the top of the heart) are beating extremely fast. SVT sessions are usually short, and are not really problematic unless they're ocurring too often or lasting too long.

Supra = above, ventricular = the ventricle, Tachycardia = rapid heartbeat.

PVCs (Premature Ventricular Contractions) are when the ventricle throws in an occasional extra beat. PACs (Premature Atrial Contractions) are when the atria throw in an extra beat here and there.

PVCs and PACs generally make up most of what are commonly referred to as heart palpitations. They show up mostly when you're tired or excited, and are common and generally harmless..."

Are you having SVT or is it someone else?

I've had SVT with a HR of 170.....it is strong and scary. In hospital I was given Sotalol for it.
Now I take metoprolol and keep my HR around 60-65.
A holter monitor has picked up the occasional short run of SVT.
My doc is not overly concerned.....

Latest posts

Back