Superman?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't heard either. If he didn't have anyone to post for him, is probably a little early to hear from him directly. I am anxious to hear how it went for him too. Very well, I pray.

Kryptonite couldn't hold me back! I'm home. Got there today. Five days post op? Time does drag when you're in the hospital. Long nights especially. Some back soreness. I've managed to walk pretty regularly while in the hospital. I think I was doing 2,000 feet 4x daily when I left. Using my spirometer regular. Walking is quite slow and it's really hard to get comfortable. Any one else experience big time paid in your teeth (cold or hot)? Also everything tastes just crazy sweet. Even water. I've been able to enjoy mashed potatoes the most. Forget pop, disgusting.

The doctor did end up using the St. Jude Conduit graft. My valve size increased from 23mm to 25mm (according to the surgeon, this would be the equivalent of the old 27 mm valve so effectively a 4mm increase. Must have grown some since my 18th birthday.

Wonder if I'll notice improvement physically as a result?

Congrats...sounds like your doing awsome! Was getting worried, because didnt see any post. Im glad your through it, and on the other side now. Keep up the good work, and keep us posted.

Good to hear from you SuperBob!!

Sounds like you're doing quiet well. Keep up the good work!

Superman
It's great that you are on the other side now....hehe Glad to see that you are on your way to recovery and not trying to leap tall buildings in your way in a single bound.... relax and enjoy your rehab as every day gets better and better. Take care and continue your progress !!!!!!
Bill

Welcome back Superman! We've been wondering how you were & by the sounds of it, you're doing remarkably well!

Take it slow & easy, doing only what you can without pushing yourself. Your strength & stamina will come back in good time..

Stay well!

That's what I love about the computer! Insert a few exclamation points and smileys and we all sound great ;-)

I'm going in this afternoon for a quick chest xray to see what might be driving some pain. Feels like someone is holding a needle inside my chest that stabs a bit deeper whenever a breath in too far. It subsides when I'm up and moving around. I haven't attempted to lay down flat yet.

Two days after return home:

Still have teeth sensitivity. I drink room temperature water now. Other beverages just don't taste good. So far I've been able to enjoy a pasta dish that some friends made for us, a grilled cheese sandwich, still like the Honey Nut Cheerios. Small meals, small bites, and drink frequently while eating. Still hard to swallow anything dry. They had the breathing tube, stomach tube, and a TEE to monitor the procedure all jammed down my throat. I might have been chewing on that, which led to the teeth sensitivity.

Today I had a follow up echo to my chest x-ray. There is some fluid around the heart, but not enough to warrant intervention. I'll have a follow up echo next week Monday with an x-ray and follow up with the surgeon on Wednesday (he's been out of town so didn't get to follow me in the hospital).

I get four appointments with visiting nurses to take vitals and INR. First went well. Have another tomorrow and two next week. I'm down about 18 lbs since my post surgery peak, which puts me at just a couple pounds over pre-surgery weight (according the them - I show down about three pounds). They have me on one medication to slow down the heart rate post op, they have me on another as a diuretic. Both also lower blood pressure. I've never had blood pressure issues, so as a result, I've been getting dizzy. Spoke with my surgeons office about it and we have an adjustment we're going to try. I can't stop either because the heart rate needs to come down and the water needs to go as well. We'll cut the heart rate pill in half and see how that works. When the nurse visited, my blood pressure dropped to 80/60 when standing up.

Walking and exercise is going well. Got two 11 minute walks in today with warm up stretches. Will likely get a third short walk in.

Came home to have the flu cycling through the house. My oldest and middle will finally be going back to school tomorrow. That's about all for now.

Glad your home and recovering. Keep the folks with colds/flu out of your range.I can not imagine what it would be like to have the flu on top of surgery. :)

Glad you're home. It's the place to be.

The odd taste sensations may still be hanging around from the anesthetic. Also, they anesthesize the throat with a shot, and it can affect your abiltity to swallow for a few weeks. This last time I had that issue (choked easily - everything seemed to go down the wrong way) and also lost my voice completely for several weeks (I'm sure to my wife's secret delight).

The chest pains will come and go, some of them quite sharp. If they don't lessen over time, or you seem to have trouble getting a full breath, or your chest feels packed tight, you want to go see the doctor.

Check your spirometer instructions. Most of them begin to seriously harbor germs after a couple of weeks, and can become more of a danger than a help to your lungs.

Be well,

Welcome Home!

Welcome Home!

Glad to read that you are home. Sorry about the teeth sensitivity issues. Hope that clears up soon. And hope that the fluid and low blood pressure issues improve too. Sorry also to read that the flu is going through your house - hope everyone is feeling better real soon and that you stay well. You sound like your are doing great with the walking. Keep up the good work and I'm sure you will be feeling better every day.

Nadine:)

Latest posts

Back