Summer Heat ,Humidity and OHS recovery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WandaW

Hey all, I live in Mpls MN and we are in a record heat wave with humidity of 70%. When I go out it hits me like a wall so I am staying in unless I have to go to work or run a very short errand. I had my AVR in March of this year so I am still in the "remodeling phase" I am told. How dangerous is this weather? I always have a bottle of cold water with me, and I don't walk in this weather, but it does worry me. Any advice?

let me tell you, I am right in the same boat with you. I live in Michigan and we are getting slammed with hot weather. I am 7 months post op and I roller blade for an hour a day. Today I got up early and did my regular workout and I am paying a heavy price for it! I feel like I have been backed over by a truck! No energy, lathargic and just BLAH!

Wanda,

I gotta tell you, even on a good day, I can't handle heat AND humidity. I have a severe heat intolerance. I can handle dry heat to SOME extent. i.e. Phoenix type heat but when you add in the humidity, I swear, I can walk barely 100 feet without feeling like I am going to pass out.

I can't imagine what you guys deal with every summer. It's the reason I would never live east of the Rockies. I've always been a west coast girl for this very reason. I once visited Washington D.C. in August during a "heat and humidity warning"... Never again!!

I would say, don't risk it... if you do... go out VERY early in the morning or very late in the evening to get your exercise and even then, don't push it and bring plenty of water, light clothing and a wide brim hat.

I live in San Diego, CA.... best weather in the nation!!!! :biggrin2:

Wanda, we were at the lake this weekend and today had a quick shower around noon. This was followed by some intense sun, and the humidity had to be near 100% with temps in the low 90's. It reminded me of the summers I spent in Iowa when I worked there for six years. I used to swear you could hear the corn growing; I think today you would have been able to see it growing as well. Anyway, I share your concern with being in the heat and humidity, as I had my surgery in March too. So far I have stayed hydrated and not seen any issues, but would be interesting to hear other's opinion and experiences.

I am over a year post-op and the heat/ humidity in Ontario these days still really bothers me. I need to limit my outside time on hot days and stay hydrated.

My cardio encouraged me to continue walking. His office is near our house and many a summer evening he was on his way home and he saw DH and me walking and always stopped for a quick hello and expressed his pleasure to see us exercising. He always said, "You can always find an excuse to not exercise" and he didn't consider heat/humidity a reason to not do it.

That is advice he gave ME. Your case, your doctor well may vary so, of course, you should check with your own doctors.
I walked after both my OHS and healed very well.

Thanks for the input, working in my yard has always saved my mental health, next summer I will be out there taking care of business! Your input is a good reminder that this year for sure is different, I will have to think cool thoughts at work tomorrow.

Our weather is in the same oven as the rest of you (Chicago). Today we celebrated my daughter's birthday by walking around the Lincoln Park area, then driving downtown and walking from one side of the downtown area to the other. I realize that we were close to Lake Michigan, so the temps weren't as hot as they are out home in the suburbs, but I actually felt better in the heat than I did last summer. My surgery was Feb. 28, so I'm not that much farther out than you folks are. I guess it just shows that we're all different.

The temperature was 105 here today and high humidity, but we just got in from bike riding -- the peddlin' kind of bike. I'm almost 12 years out, so it does get better.....just hang in there and take it easy now.

In our Cardio Rehab class (at Toronto Rehab), they gave us a chart of temperature vs. humidity, with maybe 4 bands on it, labeled like "OK/Green", "Caution/Yellow", "Extreme Caution/Orange", and "Forget It/Red". When I asked whether that chart isn't just a variation on the (Canadian) Humidex [index], I got an unsatisfactory answer, IMHO. ("The two indeces were designed for different purposes, so they're not directly comparable," type thing.)

In fact, I think the two charts/indeces, AND the similar U.S. heat index, are all designed for virtually identical purposes -- to integrate the additional stress that increasing temperature and increasing humidity add to an exercising body (and heart, lungs, etc.).

I briefly compared the three of them, and they all seem quite similar, though the lines (e.g., between "You can go outside but don't exercise" and "Don't even go outside") often fall at slightly different places. As I recall, the US & Canadian indeces -- neither of them specifically tailored to OHS patients -- were more different from each other than the supposedly heart-specific one was to either.

Bottom line is that, according to my experts and (I think) many others, there comes a level of combined heat and humidity at which one -- we all -- should stop doing strenuous exercise outside, and a higher level of combined heat and humidity at which one -- we all -- should stay indoors with A/C or with our wrists in a bucket of cold water, etc.

If people are recovered enough and healthy and fit enough, they can presumably withstand a higher level of (combined) heat, humidity, and exertion. But one take-home message is that it's the "sum" of those three -- heat, humidity, and exertion -- that determines how hard, how stressful, the exercise is. So most of us (MAYBE with the exception of ShezaGirlie!) should back off on exertion as heat and humidity increase.

BTW, my Cardio Rehab clinic has made maps of many of Toronto's indoor shopping malls, mapping out walking paths that are 1 mile (or 1/4, 1/2. . .) long, so patients can drive or subway to those malls then do their prescribed exercises in the air-conditioned malls. They've asked us to suggest unmapped shopping malls that we'd like mapped, and they'll try to get them covered. At the Rehab clinic, they have an outdoor track (half of it in the sun!) and in indoor track; when the various indeces are high (or the Air Quality Index is bad), they get us to do our walking or walking/jogging on the indoor track.

I hope this helps somebody. I don't think they've put their own index online, I just got a paper printout.

I was around 7-8 monts post-op by the time the real heat and humidity hit here and have not noticed feeling any different than before, thank goodness. I would guess that it might have been different several months prior, though, I just got lucky that was winter for me.

Makes me think that fall is probably one of the best times of year for surgery. Depending on your local weather, of course, but for those of us with pretty even seasons, you can get a few months of mild temperatures to do the very important post-op walking, then postpone heat/humidity until at least the 8 month mark or so.

I guess I"m just strange (no comments from the peanut gallery!). I'm about 4.5 months post-op and yesterday we went to downtown Chicago to celebrate my daughter's birthday. We walked from one end of the downtown to almost the other, in the heat and humidity and I felt I had to comment to my wife that I was sure that I was doing better in the hot weather after surgery than I was doing last year, pre-op. I'm sure it is all relative, but I don't "fear" the hot/humid weather -- I just don't really like it.

Of course, 20 years ago I used to run outdoors even when the temps were up in the low 90's. . .

I had surgery a year ago may 25. That summer we had many days that were over 100 degrees. There was no way I could be outside long on those days. I either walked early in the morning or an hour before dark. I also have a stationary bicycle I used a lot for recovery. I work evening shift now so I do not get up early and if I am off I use the hour before dark to get yard work done. I now use my stationary bicycle for the majority of my cardio. I can tolerate the heat better, but I still try to stay out of it if I can help it.

Debbie

In regards to it being dangerous, I think the key is to make sure you are smart..dial back the effort and making sure you are staying hydrated. This morning it was 83 degrees and 81% humidity at 5:00 AM. I ran 8 miles and had to slow my pace down by about 45 seconds per mile to keep my HR in check. Once I finished, I decided the rest of the week I am running indoors

. . .
Makes me think that fall is probably one of the best times of year for surgery. Depending on your local weather, of course, but for those of us with pretty even seasons, you can get a few months of mild temperatures to do the very important post-op walking, then postpone heat/humidity until at least the 8 month mark or so.
For people with some flexibility about the timing of their surgery, that's a great consideration (among others). But I also ran into Winter restrictions: Nobody wanted us exercising when the wind chill was below -10C. (That's 32-18=14F for the one country that's SO last century. . .!)

Im almost 8 weeks out of surgery avr. Here in east texas 20 days in a row above 100, and more on the way . I walk 7 miles every morning except sunday. At 6;00 in the morning its about 82 degrees. And humid i walk 17 min per mile with no proublem. I feel so good i cant beleave it i thought it would take six months to get to this point. Next week ill kick it up to 8 miles a day ,i expect to be a little tired for a week then if it goes like it has been the muscles will adjust and it will be easy. 3 weeks ago i was walking every other day .not now . Its easy ,i want to get back to my old self 12 miles a day with a 23 miler once a month. I was doing that with a valve measuring 1.2 before surgery. I can tell the diffrence getting more blood flow. God is great!!!!!

...the wind chill was below -10C. (That's 32-18=14F for the one country that's SO last century. . .!)

Sorry to sidetrack for such a minor and unrelated point, but I wonder if we foot-inch folks would be a little more concerned about aneurysm size if we were told size in inches and not centimeters. Thinking to myself: 5.0 cm...maybe not so bad, but 2 inches...wow!

Latest posts

Back