Study Supports Fixing Heart Valves Without Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was reported in another thread. It's titled 'Partner cohort....." and it's in the Heart Talk thread. It's quite interesting.

The speculation is that it may also be useful for younger, healthier people who would be at less risk of death during surgery.

There are more studies to be done, and there are still many questions to ask, but it seems promising -- especially if it's an only option for many who aren't candidates for open heart surgery.

Any study design could be considered statistically challenged - in most cases, subjects are put into random groups -- with some getting the new, experimental treatment and others getting current treatment methods. In this case, if the person isn't getting this new valve, the other option is surgery -- and those physicians would obviously know the difference between inserting a new valve through an artery and splitting a patient's chest wide open. OTOH -- those surgeons doing either arm of the study would be focusing on the best possible outcome.

It'll be great if this valve can outlast the body of the person carrying it (in other words, cause of death will be OTHER THAN valve failure), and that it doesn't eventually wear out or require long term anticoagulation. If, one day, a person with a bad valve can just check in to the hospital for an overnight procedure, this would be great. It'll eventually make it easy to tell which patient had OHS and which ones didn't because there would be no sternal scar i those who didn't have OHS.

This was reported in another thread. It's titled 'Partner cohort....." and it's in the Heart Talk thread. It's quite interesting.

The speculation is that it may also be useful for younger, healthier people who would be at less risk of death during surgery.

There are more studies to be done, and there are still many questions to ask, but it seems promising -- especially if it's an only option for many who aren't candidates for open heart surgery.

Any study design could be considered statistically challenged - in most cases, subjects are put into random groups -- with some getting the new, experimental treatment and others getting current treatment methods. In this case, if the person isn't getting this new valve, the other option is surgery -- and those physicians would obviously know the difference between inserting a new valve through an artery and splitting a patient's chest wide open. OTOH -- those surgeons doing either arm of the study would be focusing on the best possible outcome.

It'll be great if this valve can outlast the body of the person carrying it (in other words, cause of death will be OTHER THAN valve failure), and that it doesn't eventually wear out or require long term anticoagulation. If, one day, a person with a bad valve can just check in to the hospital for an overnight procedure, this would be great. It'll eventually make it easy to tell which patient had OHS and which ones didn't because there would be no sternal scar i those who didn't have OHS.

Right now the percutaneous valves being used are tissue and don't require long term Anticoagulants, Hopefully they will last long, but even NOW they can replace a percutaneous valve with another percutaneous valve.. Of course, you can't keep sticking new valves inside older ones, but it can be done at least 1 time.

My cardiologist told me that they still don't know how long these valves will last or whether they can be used with younger people who still lead active lifestyles. My impression from what he told me is that they only use this method with people too ill to withstand open heart surgery and who are pretty old and inactive.

Anne

I also have heard of this method used with older, high risk patients. The TAVI procedure (non-surgical aortic valve replacement) is approved in Europe. A company called Heartbridge coordinates this surgery for Americans who would go to Europe to have it done. Has anyone heard of this or had experience with them?

Meredith

I also have heard of this method used with older, high risk patients. The TAVI procedure (non-surgical aortic valve replacement) is approved in Europe. A company called Heartbridge coordinates this surgery for Americans who would go to Europe to have it done. Has anyone heard of this or had experience with them?

Meredith

I know you asked about them a couple times, I don't think anyone here used them, but have you tried seeing if your Dad would qualify here? It probably would be easier on him and I don't know if money is an issue, but doesn't heartbridge charge a couple of hundred thousand?

This is also of interest to older middle-aged tissue valvers who may need one more replacement during their lives. They would be much older when that valve is needed, and they may then be able to have the percutaneous replacement in their older years rather than another full surgery. Sounds like a plan to me!

Latest posts

Back