Strange Speech Difficulty

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

pipersmith

A few days ago, I was getting my kids up in the morning, fixing breakfast - and I suddenly had difficulty speaking properly. It wasn't that I was slurring my words, it was as if my brain and my mouth were not connected. I could think what I wanted to say, but I had trouble saying the words or saying them correctly (I would mispronounce them or the wrong word would come out). It was very frustrating to me - my kids thought it was hysterical though. I was aware that I was doing it - I could hear how wrong my voice sounded. I sat down for about 30 minutes - and I was fine.

I did not have a headache or any one-sided weakness at all - just the trouble speaking. This did happen to me once while shopping at the beginning of the school year. I know it sounds strange, but has anyone else experienced this? Do you know the cause? It was bizarre and disturbing.

Thanks in advance for the comments!!!!

It happened to me with a TIA. If it happens again, I'd go to the ER.

I agree!! with the wise Women!

Altho I have behaved like that off and on since the Pump!

I agree that it sounds like it could have been a TIA. I would bring it up to your PCP or Cardio now, not wait to see if it happens again. Potentially serious problems might be avoided by discussing it with someone asap.

Good luck and take care.

Joe had a TIA with exactly those symptoms. He was totally incoherent and speaking non words. TIAs usually don't show up when you get to the ER, however, it is important to go anyway, just to be safe.

I hate to say it but it is also a symptom of a stroke, since you feel OK now, I wouldn't worry about that.

You should call your cardiologist tomorrow and tell them what happened, without fail.

I have had that happen twice, but only very briefly. I mentioned it to my PCP and he said not to worry about it unless it happens a lot. I let it go, but now you all have me wondering. One instance I remember distinctly: I was standing in the checkout line at the grocery store and could see the cell phone company kiosk. I said to my daughter, "We have to get your brother to bring his bike...cap...cellphone in here." I was shocked to hear bike and cap come out of my mouth while I was clearly thinking cellphone. (Of course, my daughter was amused too) The other time was another set of words but the same scenario--it took three tries to get the right word. Piper, was your episode more extensive?

I have had this problem off and on since my surgery. I know the word but it may take me at lest 60 seconds to be able to come up with the word and say it. It has happened ever since my surgery! Must be from the pump in my case!

hphueler, yours does sound like pumphead syndrome. Lots of us can't come up with names, words that we know very well, etc. We have that discussion from time to time.

Piper, I agree with the others. May be a TIA. Ask your doctor.

Piper

Piper

It would help us if you put in a signature..Like..P.J. has ..at the bottom of her name...I had to go to your profile to see if you were pre/post surgery...You can add stuff at the end of your posts..so we can know how to answer???...If you had been post-op..I would have thought pumphead..:D Like the others, I would run it by your Cardio..Bonnie

Strange Speech Difficulty

I've had this on two occasions and was told by a neurologist that I
was having TIAs. He told me to strongly consider going back on warfarin,
or make sure I take 81 mg of baby aspirin every day. Of course, I
thought it was related to a bout of atrial fibrillation, after all, blood flow
to the brain is greatly reduced during one of these episodes.

Ok, can someone explain what TIA is???:confused:

I'm usually pretty good with initials, but don't know that one! I wonder how I'm going to do with chemo brain (at least I keep telling people that's what I have) and after surgery?? :rolleyes:

Granbonny said:
It would help us if you put in a signature..Like..P.J. has ..at the bottom of her name...I had to go to your profile to see if you were pre/post surgery...You can add stuff at the end of your posts..so we can know how to answer???...If you had been post-op..I would have thought pumphead..:D Like the others, I would run it by your Cardio..Bonnie

Cam you explain "pumbhead"

Pumphead? :) When you have been on the bypass machine having your surgery you might be prone to have 'senior moments' for some time afterwards, affectionaly known as pumphead - the pump being the heart-lung bypass equipment.

sue943 said:
Pumphead? :) When you have been on the bypass machine having your surgery you might be prone to have 'senior moments' for some time afterwards, affectionaly known as pumphead - the pump being the heart-lung bypass equipment.

Thank you, now I have another excuse, I have been using "The Rat Poison".

Jackie

PJmomrunner said:
I have had that happen twice, but only very briefly. I mentioned it to my PCP and he said not to worry about it unless it happens a lot. I let it go, but now you all have me wondering. One instance I remember distinctly: I was standing in the checkout line at the grocery store and could see the cell phone company kiosk. I said to my daughter, "We have to get your brother to bring his bike...cap...cellphone in here." I was shocked to hear bike and cap come out of my mouth while I was clearly thinking cellphone. (Of course, my daughter was amused too) The other time was another set of words but the same scenario--it took three tries to get the right word. Piper, was your episode more extensive?

PJ,
That sounds almost identical to TIA episodes I have had--without limb involvement. The day that I had the Big TIA, I felt a burning and sudden weakness down my right leg and tried to call for my husband. I couldn't get any coherent words out, so just kind of made a scream and then started crying from the frustration. I ended up in the hospital for four days, and although I regained my ability to talk almost immediately, for more than a month I refused to engage in any lengthy discussions. My episodes were caused by calcification breaking off from my valve, so yours might have a similar origin.

You may want to ask one (or all) of your Doctors if it would be prudent (or at least OK) to chew a full (325mg) ASPIRIN if / when you experience symptoms that may have been triggered by a TIA. This could also include visual disturbances or visual migraines or anything resembling a stroke.

I second going to the ER, where they will likely perform a CAT Scan, and by the time it is done, will likely show NOTHING. It comes down to "it's better to be safe than to be sorry".

'AL Capshaw'

Jackie said:
Cam you explain "pumbhead"

here is a thread on the pumphead syndrome where we discussed. http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10860&highlight=pumphead+syndrome

It might help to read this above thread.

Dr R Fogoros wrote that the concensus (sp?) is that during the time we are on the heart/lung machine, there are mini clots that are banged against our brains causing mini strokes and we are left with a bit of memory loss. Not all of us, but some of us.

Latest posts

Back