Stopping atenolol and experiencing symptoms

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TLB123

Hi All,

I have made a year. Well a little over a year. My anniversary was May 21. There were a few bumps in the road, but for the most part things have gone well.

I was recently taken off the atenolol, which I had been on for about three years. I have noticed an increase in my heart rate, and wonder if this is related to coming off the atenolol? I am experiencing some SOB when climbing stairs, which has only been for a few weeks. I feel my heart beating harder and hear my valve more. I also wonder if all of this is related to stopping the atenolol. I only say this because I have noticed most of this after being off the atenolol.

Anyone else out there stop atenolol, or any type of beta blocker and notice certain symptoms?

Thanks in advance for your comments and thoughts.
Tara

yeah all of those symptoms smack of beta blocker cessation. How long has it been since you've stopped taking it? Is your blood pressure under control?

I tried to stop taking atenolol and I noticed the same stuff, so I started taking it again. I called my doc and he said eventually the pounding would go away, but it sure didn't feel like it would. I'd rather just keep it nice and comfortable.

Hi Tara, I am cutting down my beta-blocker for about 4 weeks now having taken it for about 17 years. I cut it in half for 2 weeks, then half again for the last 2 weeks, and I notice my heart beating harder, and almost as if it is touching off my chest wall. Not very nice, but my ep cardio wanted me to do this to see if my energy levels would improve.!!

Yep - it sounds like rebound traits. However, if it keeps up, you may need to be on something again. Why was it stopped?

yeah all of those symptoms smack of beta blocker cessation. How long has it been since you've stopped taking it? Is your blood pressure under control?

It has been a little over a month since stopping the atenolol. My BP is great! It was never really affected by stopping the atenolol. I was really concerned about the heart pounding and increased HR, but now that I see others experience it too, I feel much better.

Thank You!!!

Yep - it sounds like rebound traits. However, if it keeps up, you may need to be on something again. Why was it stopped?

We stopped it because I was feeling a little tired, and had a few low BP's. I had a BP of 89/54 and some others that were low. I was put on it a few years befoe my surgery because of the cardiomyopathy. It was to help with the work load of the heart and they were hoping it would help with the palpitations. I never really had high BP before going on it.

I had asked on several visits about stopping it. I guess I thought because they had fixed the valve and the myopathy had improved, maybe I wouldn't need it anymore.

I don't like it when I can feel my heart pounding just from rolling over in bed, and the fact that I hear my valve most of the time now is a little disturbing. I will give it a little while longer before I beg to go back on it.

Thanks!!!

Did you just stop taking your atenolol 'cold turkey' or did you 'taper down'?

Most (ALL?) Beta Blockers warn that suddenly stopping usage can lead to 'rebound types of reactions'.

When I complained to my Cardio about feeling 'dragged out' while on 100mg of Toprol, he suggested cutting my dose in half for 2 weeks. BIG IMPROVEMENT in Energy with no loss of benefits (i.e. NO arrhythmias).

Then he suggested cutting my dose in half again for another 2 weeks. SAME result. Finally he suggested stopping. BINGO, sporadic arrhythmias returned after a couple of weeks.

Went back on the Lowest Dose and the arrhythmias went away (in spite of what a previous Cardio said regarding 100mg as being the Lowest Theraputic Dose and anything less was useless - I don't see that Cardio anymore!)

'AL Capshaw'

Did you just stop taking your atenolol 'cold turkey' or did you 'taper down'?

Most (ALL?) Beta Blockers warn that suddenly stopping usage can lead to 'rebound types of reactions'.

Al,
I was on 50 of atenolol and then they decreased it to 25. A little while after that it was stopped. I was doing ok, until I started noticing all these symptoms which only started after stopping the BB. I am going to my Dr.'s on Wednedsay, so I will ask them if I can go back on a beta blocker. I would much rather be on Toprol XL rather than the Atenolol.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back