Still Here (Hospital)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason2012

sixth day of draining

2/3 tubes out
heart wires out

i have a rash from iodine/adhesives used in pre-op/op/after

oops posted too soon

continued:

i think i get last tube out tomorrow
on hour 12 of waiting for calamine or similar ointment

rash is SO itchy arg

i gave in and scratched it ten times the other day and it flared up/i paid the price

get me outta this fire! heh

They probably won't let you out of jail until all the tubes are out. They may even keep you a day after that, to be sure the drain incisions are closing properly. Have they discussed discharge with you yet? In my case they wanted to send me home before I was ready to go. (couldn't yet sleep comfortably without oxygen).

All this takes time, but as long as you don't hit any of the speed bumps and pot holes, you will get out when they feel you are ready.

When they finally let you out (it was day 5 for me and I was ready) you will really feel different when you get home. I had the same reaction to the adhesives on my tape as you, but was fortunately knew that before surgery so they used the paper tape for me. Sorry you are having to go through the itching to. It is bad enough with just surgery. Good luck on getting to go home soon!

Make sure the rash is not an allergy to Neosporin, etc. I had no idea, but the stuff/dressing they put on your wound (neosporin + etc) is something that some people, including me, are really allergic to. Solution: wash with soap twice daily. Will go away in 5-8 days, depending on severity.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I think I get to go home today. I had an elevating t-cell count which they wanted to monitor (it's normalizing now), my last tube was pulled almost a day ago, and I'm feeling pretty good. I also had a small part of my lung that wasn't clear/open 100%, so they had me do the incentive sporameter more/walk more over the last day or so.

One thing that I must say is worrying me, since I've read about endocarditis. I have had hot/cold issues since my surgery. A few small fever spikes -- less than 101 -- maybe three of those. I've had blood taken for labs daily and cultures done days back (all clear). I've just felt extremely sensitive to warm/cool breezes the whole time I've been in here, like I'm not wearing any clothes/am always very warm under blanket or other parts very cool when exposed to air.

I had a bit of nose congestion the other day/loose stools the last day or two as if I had a little bug.

I feel like you guys are pretty knowledgeable, what do you think about this. I've heard it can take weeks for endo to really blow up so to speak... I've been through a lot of hoops... really hoping to not get bit by anything like that when I'm so close to being better!

Thanks for the comments everyone. I think I get to go home today. I had an elevating t-cell count which they wanted to monitor (it's normalizing now), my last tube was pulled almost a day ago, and I'm feeling pretty good. I also had a small part of my lung that wasn't clear/open 100%, so they had me do the incentive sporameter more/walk more over the last day or so.

One thing that I must say is worrying me, since I've read about endocarditis. I have had hot/cold issues since my surgery. A few small fever spikes -- less than 101 -- maybe three of those. I've had blood taken for labs daily and cultures done days back (all clear). I've just felt extremely sensitive to warm/cool breezes the whole time I've been in here, like I'm not wearing any clothes/am always very warm under blanket or other parts very cool when exposed to air.

I had a bit of nose congestion the other day/loose stools the last day or two as if I had a little bug.

I feel like you guys are pretty knowledgeable, what do you think about this. I've heard it can take weeks for endo to really blow up so to speak... I've been through a lot of hoops... really hoping to not get bit by anything like that when I'm so close to being better!

Hi Jason,

I cannot get my temperature right (I came out of hospital on Wednesday) and remember this was the case last time. In hospital I would be clammy to the touch, but be within the accepted range and now at home I am the same. It took 6 months or so for my temperature to settle last time and I suspect it will be the same this time. Although, it has made me worry from time to time the reality is I think this is par for the corse for some people. It is 6.50 am and winter time here and last night I slept with a sheet and blanket which I pulled back most of the night and jet my temperature is 39.6. Hope this helps and good luck.

Phil.

I had "temperature regulation" trouble for the first 4 to 6 weeks after I got home. I was always feeling cold, so I was wandering around the house fully dressed and wrapped in a blanket. I did not feel that cold in the hospital. They told me it was common after heart surgery and that I was slightly anemic. They said it would get back to normal in a few weeks, and it did.

Hi guys. I am doing really well at home now. I don't suffer from the quirky symptoms I did before the surgeon fixed ~3 things for me. Happy day!

How is that rash? Also, how are you feeling overall?

Rash mostly resolved/on the way out.

I feel pretty good. Am not really sure if I should be active or resting, heh. I know the answer is a mix. I have been lazying around a bit the last two days...

I am doing well though. Thanks for asking!

Glad you are home. Now you know the routine you should be doing, walk, breath, eat, nap etc. I am 17 days post surgery and getting better everyday! Walking further and further everyday. Just don't become impatient like me. Don't overdo! Kim

Latest posts

Back