still having episodes of atrial flutter

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryen0

Hi everyone,

I'm now 7 weeks post op and still have episodes of high heart rate, including atrial flutter in the mornings. If this is cause by irritation to the heart following surgery, does anyone have a general idea of how long it takes the heart to recover? I guess i'm wondering if this is a recovery issue, or a separate issue.

I experienced a-fib for the first 2 weeks and eventually was prescribed a short course of Amiodarone which seems to have done the trick. According to my doctor the flutter or a-fib is fairly common during recovery which can have an incidence rate as high as 50% after certain heart surgery procedures. Obviously you should monitor this and discuss treatment alternatives with your cardiologist if you're finding it difficult to endure.

Hi....I had a-flutter at 3weeks. It lasted a couple of weeks for me but I have seen where other folks on VR.COM have had it last longer. Are you receiving treatment for it?

Chris

Sometimes it resolves itself ... sometimes it does not ... I had it before OHS and mine was corrected (knock on wood) with ablation during my AVR ... Some people live with it ... you just have to wait and see ...I wish you the best with it.

Hi - I meant to ask you if you could start a thread and give some details of your experience with the Davinci Robotic surgery. My sister had considered this option for her mitral valve surgery last year and didn't find anyone on this forum who had experience with it.

Hi - I meant to ask you if you could start a thread and give some details of your experience with the Davinci Robotic surgery. My sister had considered this option for her mitral valve surgery last year and didn't find anyone on this forum who had experience with it.

If you have to have heart surgery, it really is the best option if you can do it. Only five little scars on the right side of your chest and recovery is a lot quicker. Also it greatly increases your chances for a repair instead of replacement. I was in the ICU for one day and out of the hospital at three days. As far as pain and scarring and all that, it's great. But at least for my case, i was hoping to have more energy by now at 7 weeks. They upped my beta blocker to 50mg, but this just doesn't seem to do it for me. We'll see what happens i guess.

...I'm now 7 weeks post op and still have episodes of high heart rate, including atrial flutter in the mornings. If this is cause by irritation to the heart following surgery, does anyone have a general idea of how long it takes the heart to recover? I guess i'm wondering if this is a recovery issue, or a separate issue.
I don't know, but it can take awhile for your heart to recover and get strong again. Seven weeks is still early in your recovery.

Have these morning arrhythmias been absolutely diagnosed as A-flutter? Did they give you any magnesium for your A-flutter? If not, maybe you can ask your doctor about that. I've been having some more innocuous arrhythmias recently and the doctor prescribed some minerals that seem to be helping me.

I wouldn't try it on my own though, not without my doctor's approval. Hope you're feeling much better very soon.

It's usually sinus tach and i'll count my HR in the 120's moving around and in the low 100's when sitting. But the event monitor will catch it going into flutter (so they say) and getting to the 150's. But i guess it doesn't seem to stay there. I'll ask them about what you said. In the mean time i guess i'll wait to see if the beta blocker helps and if it eventually goes away.

My heart took a long time to heal and the beta blocker is very helpful to keep the "load" off the heart during this time. I have just started a low dose of Magnesium supplement, 50 mg per day. Many members here take a much higher dose with good benefits.
Be patient, and I'm sure your heart will settle down.

Thanks Bina. I had my magnesium checked, so i guess they'll tell me if i need more or not. I'm just praying for a day i can get off all these medicines:eek:

Latest posts

Back