sternum wires

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurad37

For those of you who have had a sternum wire come undone, can you try and explain how it feels. I was in rehab on Monday and started feeling the pain in my sternum. I came home and I could bearly move. It took my about 20 minutes just to get up the stairs. I do feel some poking on he right side of my incision (about 2 in down from the top) and from that point up my sternum really really hurts. Mondays pain was worse than when I was in the hospital. They are doing an xray tomorrow. I'm just worried and wondering if this is how it feels when this happens.

Oh my. That doesn't sound great.
Mine didn't come undone - they just eventually gave me a rash - but I think there's a few on here that have experienced that.
I'm sorry that you're having this hiccup in your recovery, not that you have enough to deal with!

Have you had a fever or anything like that? I know I was in a lot of pain when I got an infection...it's unusual, so I don't want to scare you...but that popped into my head.

Hang in there and hopefully the x-ray tomorrow will show something.

Melissa

In my case the wires just moved around and some of the points were sticking up. Any light pressure caused pain, but it didn't really hurt to move. Certain ways that I moved my shoulders caused a scratching sensation.

Hi,
I am awaiting surgery to have my wires out, the top 3 have come undone you can feel them under the skin moving about, It does hurt especially when i move about it didnt help coz my sterum didnt fuse together inpart, i have had to wear a brace, it has all gone back together now just looks a very odd shape on the xray, i feel as though i have to hold my chest when moving especially when getting out of bed, off chairs, its like a throbbing pain, and then the jabs under your skin feels like your been pricked all the time.
Hope this helps.
Take care
Jane

Glad you are taking an xray to see what is going on. I can feel where my wires are, my skin is very tender if I touch them, but they do not hurt like you are experiencing.
God bless,

Hi,
I am awaiting surgery to have my wires out, the top 3 have come undone you can feel them under the skin moving about, It does hurt especially when i move about it didnt help coz my sterum didnt fuse together inpart, i have had to wear a brace, it has all gone back together now just looks a very odd shape on the xray, i feel as though i have to hold my chest when moving especially when getting out of bed, off chairs, its like a throbbing pain, and then the jabs under your skin feels like your been pricked all the time.
Hope this helps.
Take care
Jane

That is exactly how i feel. I guess I'll know tomorrow when they do the xray

Thanks to poor wire dressing I now have undergo an operation to correct the issue. I'm not sure if I'll survive another procedure...

My thoughts are with everyone that's experiance the same problems and pain. :(

Hi Laura take it a minute at a time when you get to the bend stop and take a look around. Your situation sound a lot like mine. I had a bad infection after the operation. your description of your pain and movement sounds very simular to the time after my Op. take care and take it easy.

J

It could also be fluid, what you are describing sounds alot like when Justin has had pericardial fluid or the infection in his chest. Will they be doing an echo beside the Xray? Justin's fluid never shows up on xrays, but they can see it in the echo.

Latest posts

Back