Staying the Course -- 10-19-2015

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Welcome to the mid-October edition of Staying the Course. We've got cooler, fall-like weather at last, and I love it. We had a tremendous Heart Walk over the weekend, a few thousand people participated, lots of celebration of life, I loved it -- and even was able to do the entire walk with not too much back pain.

It's gotten me fired up to extend the walking now -- toward that end, I successfully took my granddog Dasher on a Heart Walk follow-up walk on Sunday and it went reasonably well. He's a big ol' yellow lab, and very strong -- just needs a bit more getting-used-to a leash (aka training) and should be fine. He's over here a couple of times a day, so I need to get both of us geared to make part of our time walking time.

Those of you who'd like to post weight progress, please do so. I feel re-energized so I'm skipping the scales -- maybe later this week.

Cheer to all....

SUPERBOB

Howdy ! Guess who ? LOL
I'm glad to read that you are walking again, albeit with a much younger companion than you were previously accustomed to.
Keeping a little bag of treats in your pocket should help to keep Dasher's focus on you instead of pulling.

146.8 this morning. I'm weighing daily to stay ahead of water retention. If I go up 2 lbs I'm to take Lasix. Took it daily when I got home but BP was running around 95/68 so I cut back. Also cut back on metoprolol with doctor's OK and that's helped the BP too. I see him tomorrow.

I feel like I'm babying myself as far as getting any exercise. I read through a bunch of post-surgery posts and felt better about not pushing myself. I'm to get orders for cardio rehab tomorrow and looking forward to starting that so I can get into a good routine for me. I did little exercising before. I want to do better now.

Glad you are enjoying this Autumn weather and puppy walks SB 😊

Did not weigh this morning but am staying the course to the best of my ability :) ... I have a four day event at the end of the week and I'm here to tell that there will be lots of goodies to be had and I am sure I will partake.... life is too short for strict self-denial ....

honeybunny I'm glad you are doing well and remember that recovery is not a race.... it takes time and there will good days and those that test your endurance and spirit... just keep in mind it WILL get better and one day you will realize that you are better than ever!!!

Bob ... keep walking brother ..... I'm years over due for a trip to your part of the coast and I hope DW and I can get there before the end of the year and meet you and your DW for dinner!

Hey Goat Girl .... glad you dropped in .... snow time for you :p.....

peace out...............................

Hi guys !! So l missed last week checkin but glad to say lm holding my own and down just 1 kg since my last loss 2 weeks ago. I start Cardiac rehab tomorrow Yes Pre Cardiac rehab from now til Dec surgery. And again post cardiac after a time post surgery. I really need structure and it is by the request of my Surgeon Along with respiratory therapy. I've been out walking alot along the Canal so between work and my crazy stressful life l am eating better and trying to get out there for fresh air and excerise.
Glad your walk went well S Bob !
Honeybunny good luck tomorrow hope all is well and that you are where you should be. I really think everyone is so very different. Xx

Hey two starting Cardiac Rehab, or about to -- good deal! I loved CR. We had a congenial group of nurses and patients. I never laughed so much in my life. The aerobic and weight exercise was good, too. Not saying every group will be that jolly, but CR can help you all get on track.

Walked the exceptionally strong Sir Dasher tonight and except for him wanting to get into it with an outdoor dog who lives behind an electric fence, and going bonkers over approaching bikers -- and then REALLY trying to take off when a bunny rabbit hopped across our trail -- except for all that, we did pretty well. Hasn't pulled me apart yet. We will try to stay that course. Hopefully he will settle down.

Glad all are doing well!

Everyone sounds very positive this week . . . love it! I'm so glad Harriet and Honeybunny are starting cardiac rehab. As Superbob mentions, that will get you on track and help you stay the course. Bina, glad you posted. DH bought a bag of dog treats to use when walking our Yoshi. I have to laugh when I think about it. Yoshi, always in harness when Bob walks him, never pulls on me, and I never use the harness. Cooker, I hope you and SB eventually are able to enjoy dinner together.
I've stayed the same for the week, down about a half a pound.

Sounds like I've missed a pretty great week. We have two who are entering rehab and others who are getting back on track. My week isn't as great, but not bad. I'm up a pound or so - probably due to fluid retention due to restaurant meals. We were out and about all weekend, and ate at some favorite restaurants. You know how that ends up - they use far more salt than we do at home, so it will take me a few days to normalize. In addition to that, I've not been able to get out for mid-day walks lately, as the weather has often been rainy or windy and cold. If I am not comfortable outside, I don't walk. I am going to have to figure our something to do to replace mid-day walks during the winter. May have to replace evening walks, too, as much of my usual route is poorly lighted - not fun to walk in the dark.

I'm not going to try to reduce any farther the amount that I eat. I should control the snack/junk foods, but mealtimes are pretty well-managed. This is my typical winter problem -- too many snacks at hand and not enough outdoor activity to keep me away from them. . .

Too many snacks, not enough activity probably sums it up for me, too, Steve, when I'm not in a good groove. The past week, I've been on a better track with the Heart Walk, and now attempting to walk my granddog Dasher every evening. I've kept stocked with pears, apples, oranges and the like for much of my snacking, too.

I can only imagine a Chicago winter. I guess the closest was when we lived in the DC area -- weather could get pretty raw there, especially when had to fight through it to commute --- but I'm sure not as rough as the Windy City.

Anyway, sounds like you stay on course very well, Steve.

Hello to all you good Staying the Course people. I think I'm finally back on track again, too. I enjoyed my summer, eat too much, didn't exercise and as a result gained a few pounds. My goal is to lose 7 pounds and so far I'm down 1 1/2. I know the last five are tough to lose, I've tried it before.
So far the weather has been great for getting outside and being active but the long Minnesota winter is coming soon. I'll trade places with you, superbob!

epstns;n859536 said:
Sounds like I've missed a pretty great week. We have two who are entering rehab and others who are getting back on track. My week isn't as great, but not bad. I'm up a pound or so - probably due to fluid retention due to restaurant meals. We were out and about all weekend, and ate at some favorite restaurants. You know how that ends up - they use far more salt than we do at home, so it will take me a few days to normalize. In addition to that, I've not been able to get out for mid-day walks lately, as the weather has often been rainy or windy and cold. If I am not comfortable outside, I don't walk. I am going to have to figure our something to do to replace mid-day walks during the winter. May have to replace evening walks, too, as much of my usual route is poorly lighted - not fun to walk in the dark.

I'm not going to try to reduce any farther the amount that I eat. I should control the snack/junk foods, but mealtimes are pretty well-managed. This is my typical winter problem -- too many snacks at hand and not enough outdoor activity to keep me away from them. . .

Exact same problem in my house. I am sure I pushed past 200, I want to be at 195 but when I hit 205 I start to get tough... sometimes...... 200 is equilibrium, I think. I'm 6' 2"

ABN - Good to know that I'm not alone. I'm not as big a guy as you are (I'm 5'8" and about 150) but a lot of this is relative. When I get a couple of pounds above my target weight, I just feel lousy. I've been as high as the low 170's, and it wasn't fun. I've managed to get back to the mid-150's and try to stay at the lower end of the range. I just feel like a caged animal when I can't get out and be active. Since I live in the frozen rust belt (Chicago area), I need to find a way to get some additional activity in winter. It will have to be something I can do several days a week, in addition to my normal weights/resistance exercises in the AM and cardio workouts after work. When the weather is nice I can often get out at lunchtime and walk a mile or two, and/or get out after dinner for the same. During the winter months, too many people refuse to shovel their walks, making walking difficult if not unsafe. There is a park near my office that has a couple of miles of bike/walking trails, but during the winter it gets really windy and cold, and the snow is not plowed. I'm not a cross-country skier, and walking miles in knee-deep snow is not my idea of fun. There must be something. . .

epstns;n859576 said:
ABN - Good to know that I'm not alone. I'm not as big a guy as you are (I'm 5'8" and about 150) but a lot of this is relative. When I get a couple of pounds above my target weight, I just feel lousy. I've been as high as the low 170's, and it wasn't fun. I've managed to get back to the mid-150's and try to stay at the lower end of the range. I just feel like a caged animal when I can't get out and be active. Since I live in the frozen rust belt (Chicago area), I need to find a way to get some additional activity in winter. It will have to be something I can do several days a week, in addition to my normal weights/resistance exercises in the AM and cardio workouts after work. When the weather is nice I can often get out at lunchtime and walk a mile or two, and/or get out after dinner for the same. During the winter months, too many people refuse to shovel their walks, making walking difficult if not unsafe. There is a park near my office that has a couple of miles of bike/walking trails, but during the winter it gets really windy and cold, and the snow is not plowed. I'm not a cross-country skier, and walking miles in knee-deep snow is not my idea of fun. There must be something. . .

I am in the mountains of Western MA so I feel your pain and cold. WE do get plowed once in a while and then I try to walk outside with my dog and wife. Otherwise its the treadmill in the basement or a 1/2hour trip up and back to the cardio rehab gym when it is open. I often and lazily pass on that option. If I try to go to work its hard to get to work and the gym in on the same day. Its tough to strike a good balance and I m not good at it. Self employment means if I am not working I am not making money and feel like I am letting people down.

In the dead of winter, I just walk on the beach -- no snow or ice there. Okay, I said it -- hate me now?

Let me add, in all seriousness. When the winter wind is howling, it is cold as heck along the beach and not really a great place to walk. So I don't really do it all that much. It is good dawgwalking territory in the fall, though, when there aren't many visitors and you can take your dawg for a stroll at all daytime hours.

I guess I could drive the 45 minutes to the beach to walk. . . but the lake is frozen over for much of the winter and it isn't at all nice down there. Nah! Bad choice. I'll have to either find clear walks around the neighborhood or do something indoors. I don't do "mall-walking" and even if I did, the nearest mall of any size is farther away than my fitness center. This bit about working 50+ hours/week sure gets in the way sometimes.

ABN - You're in western MA? How far from the Happy Valley? My daughter, son-in-law and grandson live in the Amherst/NoHo area. Pretty country out there, but too "rural" for a city kid like me.

epstns;n859633 said:
I guess I could drive the 45 minutes to the beach to walk. . . but the lake is frozen over for much of the winter and it isn't at all nice down there. Nah! Bad choice. I'll have to either find clear walks around the neighborhood or do something indoors. I don't do "mall-walking" and even if I did, the nearest mall of any size is farther away than my fitness center. This bit about working 50+ hours/week sure gets in the way sometimes.

ABN - You're in western MA? How far from the Happy Valley? My daughter, son-in-law and grandson live in the Amherst/NoHo area. Pretty country out there, but too "rural" for a city kid like me.

About 45 minutes west of them, that area is nice, plenty around but still rural. Umass keeps things hopping.

Appreciate all the good comments we had this week. Sorry to have left others hanging out there as last posters.

I have been in prep school -- well, not your traditional type. Colonoscopy Prep. Actually just started it today. Soft diet today, liquid diet tomorrow including the awful jug of stuff you have to drink, then procedure Tuesday.

Okay, go ahead -- I know I will be the butt of many jokes. :Face-Raspberry:

Superbob;n859779 said:
Appreciate all the good comments we had this week. Sorry to have left others hanging out there as last posters.

I have been in prep school -- well, not your traditional type. Colonoscopy Prep. Actually just started it today. Soft diet today, liquid diet tomorrow including the awful jug of stuff you have to drink, then procedure Tuesday.

Okay, go ahead -- I know I will be the butt of many jokes. :Face-Raspberry:

after OHS this will be a breeze!!

Sad news. our dogs got out of the yard last night when a gate fell due to the high winds and the little one was killed crossing a busy street. No idea why the big one didn't get hit too but she came home. Frustrating thing is that I ordered a new gate over a month ago before my surgery but Lowes delayed installation for various reasons. It was supposed to be installed Saturday but they postponed again because of the rain we were supposed to get f on the hurricane. I didn't realize the gate had fallen and let them in the backyard to do their business. We are heartbroken. RIP Ark.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    11.5 KB · Views: 90
Back