Static shocks

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old clicker

Is it just my imagination, or am I building up more static than I used to? I have a CarboMedics mechanical Aortic valve. We manufacture conveying systems where I work, and I know if you move product through a plastic tube, static will build up and it will give off shocks if it is not grounded. I was wondering if this is an issue with anyone, or am I out to lunch.

I did think a couple of times that I was having more problems with static than before surgery. I thought I was imagining it.
The bigggest problems I have is cars and car doors. When I get out of a car, I discharge static touching the doors or whatever metal I touch first.
I have been briefly concerned about pumping gas.
It sounds silly just writing this but that has been my experience. Maybe it's just a getting older thing.
Smiles, :)
Gina

Hello Clicker,
Okay so I thought I was the only one that, that happened to. I don't really know why that happens but if someone gives you an answer regarding it could you please drop me a line. That would explain a lot of surges....
Wen :cool:

We get zapped mostly in the wintertime because heating systems reduce the relative humidity in a room from around 65% during other times of the year to approximately 10% at which point almost all materials collect a charge. Dry air is a poor conductor of electricity thus, a bigger charge is built up before it is released into the air around you, or jumps the gap to something metal, or even your significant other! Moving across a carpeted floor and touching a doorknob for example, actually results in a discharge that is in the thousands of volts range. ( amperage is what kills you...not voltage ) The little pain you feel is actually a small burn. These discharges can be damaging to electronic equipment. This problem will dissipate ( pun intended ) in the Springtime when our air gets more saturated and "bleeds off" static much better. Get up a full charge and touch a doorknob with the lights off...it's pretty impressive!

Les,
I have always found it fascinating how static charges increase in the winter. Your explanation is great, thanks.
However, the static problems I discussed actually happen the same amount year round and also happened when I was in California so I think there is something going on besides cold weather.
I am not saying it's related to the valve, just that it increased around that time so it's an interesting phenomenon.
Smiles, :)
Gina

Maybe it's just dryer than normal....

Or you can blame sunspots like I do... :D

Sunspots lead to solar flare activity which increases the amount of electromagnetic energy in the Earth's atmosphere which can (at a certain point) begin to disrupt satelite communications, television and radio signals, and all other manner of things....

Try changing your shoes.

Computer stores often carry a little cable that wraps around one wrist, the other end is attached to a metal surface (usually a table) that is grounded to the floor or an outlet. The cable is intended to reduce static electricity when working on computer components that can be damaged or destroyed by such energy.

You walk from one area to another, clip yourself to a grounded surface before touching stuff if it's that bad.

When I was in art school, there was a student who had one that she'd clip to a photo enlarger in the darkroom that they had grounded for her because she was ALWAYS generating static electricity which would attract all kinds of dust to her negatives and prints as she was working. The little clip reduced that static a LOT.

A little hint for getting out of your car without getting zapped. Put your hand on something metal (like the car door you've just opened) before getting out of the seat. Someone turned me on to that and I have yet to be zapped as long as I remember to do that as I get out of the car.

Latest posts

Back