Starting New year with another surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john79t

I will be gettin a hip replacement on Jan 6, 2010. I hate facing another surgery but want to walk without crutches again. Already have the clearance from my cardio. We bought a motorhome last month and hope to take it to the beach in March. It will be nice to just leave footprints in the sand.

Good luck John. Sorry to say, but it's more painful then heart surgery. I know, not what you want to hear. Your new hip will feel really foreign and weird for a while. It really did feel like a ball joint to me. Your days of running will be over and steps are kind of awkward, but hey, to not be in pain and to be able to walk, is a wonderful trade off.

I had to use a walker for a while, but was full weight bearing from the get go, so you have some idea of what your dealing with. I'll be needing pics of those footprints in the sand you know. ;)

Thinking about it now, my hip will be 11 years old on January 15th.

John:

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do fine.

A friend's husband had hip joint replacement in late summer or early fall and he went back to work 3 weeks post-op, I think. He's done extremely well. This was in the Denver CO area.

My youngest sister (age 53) is having hip joint surgery today (12/16), and this is her 2nd hip joint surgery (first was at age 42). She's determined to go home Saturday (12/19) to their apartment in Dallas area (unfortunately on the 2nd or 3rd floor). Their lake house would be a better choice for convalescence, but it's 2 hours from her doctors. Her recovery will be slower, because she has lupus (causes osteonecrosis) + rheumatoid arthritis.

Hi John,

Sorry to hear about the need for hip-replacement, but it sure is a step in the right direction and we can not wait for you to send us those "pictures in the sand" photo. Just remember the footprints that you have left in people's heart already ;)

All the best for the upcoming surgery! prayers coming your way.

hugs ( )

How quickly things change. Since I posted this a little while ago I got a call from my sergeon's office and he has decided to be off on the 6th so my date in moved back to the 12th of Jan. Oh well I have been needing it for years I guess another week won't hurt.

Everyone I have talked with that has had the surgery has been happy with it.

Ross Just when I was thinking it can't be worse than heart surgery you have to break my heart. I will send those pics.

Thanks for to all for your support.

I'm sorry it got pushed back, but I think things happen when it is the "right" time and your attitude is great. I know this has been a corcern of your since you first started posting here, so am glad you will soon have it behind you and get on enjoying life with your new hip AND valve. You'll probably feel like a new man
I keep thinking of the footprints in the sand poem/prayer

Thanks again to all.
Lynn I know the poem and there have been times I have seen but 1 set of foot prints.

I had a sign made for the motorhome we bought. "Life is better at the beach".

Yes I was thinking that also. It will give my surgeon more time to get over a new years eve hangover, I wouldn't want his hands to be shakey for surgery.

I went to my hip replacement class today. I got a tissue valve to avoid coumidin and guess what I get after hip surgery. At least it is just for a month and I will be tested twice a week. Any advice will be welcome.

Hi John. I had a hip replacement almost 2 years ago. In fact it was the cardiology checkup for that surgery that detected my aneurysm which was repaired a few months ago. I was born with a congenital hip problem and had pretty much been in some degree of pain all my life. I put off replacing my hip for a long time since I had a growing family and couldn't imagine being out of commission. Once I finally did it I was so glad and I still marvel at being pain free in my left hip. I was just out Christmas shopping tonight and thinking of how just 2 years ago the same amount of walking would have been impossible. I'm not sure I agree that it was more painful than OHS. I remember waking up in pain and telling the nurse (at least there was no breathing tube and I could talk) and out I went with a dose of something and woke up with pain under control from then on. They had to do some extra reconstuction in my case so I was not allowed to bear weight for 6 weeks. I got around well with walker and crutches but maybe I experienced less pain because I wasn't allowed to do as much. It is definitely a situation to stay ahead of the pain with the meds they give you for the first couple of weeks. Good luck and I know you will be happy to have your new hip. Please let us know how you are doing.

Thanks barb
I knew I had AS but discovered it was severe with an aneurism with an echo before my hip surgery. I canceled the hip and did the valve now I am looking forward to having my hip fixed. I have some concern, you know infection and a tissue valve but not fear like before the OHS.

HI John...I had a total hip replacement at age 59 and am now facing OHS next month. (age 66) It may be like childbirth and you forget, but I'm thinking the pain wasn't too bad. Can't be as bad as a sternectomy??? If the OHS is no worse than the hip I will be in good shape.
And I was able to get down on the floor with the grandkids and take them to the zoo....
Pat

I have had the pre surgery tests and will travel to Cape Girardeau on Monday. We will spend the night and have the surgery tue. the 12th.

I was going back to BJH. However, the ortho surgeon there only uses the zimmer hip (metal on plastic) They wear out quickly and not recommended for folks my age. Little known fact that most hospitals have contracts with certain companies to use their products and often will not make an exception. So I went back to Cape to an otho that I know there and will get a better device that will out last me. I will be at ST. Francis in Cape. Closer to home and a good facility. I will do the rehab at a PT clinic here at home.

Latest posts

Back