Starting New year with another surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going back to BJH. However, the ortho surgeon there only uses the zimmer hip (metal on plastic) They wear out quickly and not recommended for folks my age. Little known fact that most hospitals have contracts with certain companies to use their products and often will not make an exception. So I went back to Cape to an otho that I know there and will get a better device that will out last me. I will be at ST. Francis in Cape. Closer to home and a good facility. I will do the rehab at a PT clinic here at home.

Good choice of hospitals, John!:) My husband has worked there since he graduated from RT school back in 1979, and it is my recommendation when my opinion is sought . . . . and even when it isn't.;):p
If you get bored and want to share a cup of coffee, I'll send my phone # by pm so you'll have it.
Best wishes!

Thanks. I sure hope I am not comming down with the stomach virus that all my kids and grand kids and wife have had. I want to get this over not have another delay.

John, just wanted to wish you the very best for your hip surgery.
Hope you have fast recovery and get to using that motorhome real soon!

We bought a new 32 ft motorhome in 88 and used it 6 years. We had a lot of fun and saw a lot of country.

I got up this morning feeling OK so my wife and I will be headed to Cape after while. We will spend the night there and I will be at the hospital at 6AM tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks to everyone for your support. This board is a God send to me and many others. Every time I talk with someone needing valve surgery I tell them about the board. I will post after surgery.

John,

I am just catching up with this thread. Wanted to add my best wishes, good vibes, prayers for your hip replacement surgery. I completely understand the desire to remain mobile and to "leave footprints in the sand" as you put it. Have knee and back challenges myself that I am determined to overcome.

I am confident you will do well; have heard of many who have, including, if I remember correctly, one super-athlete named Bo Jackson of football and baseball fame.

Again, all best to you, and please keep us posted.

Thanks superbob. Yes I remember Bo. He even tried to play again after his hip replacement but they are not made for that. It was a shame he was a great athelete. I should be up and walking the same day of surgery or that is what they tell me.

I'll be keeping you in my prayers for your hip surgery tomorrow. I still marvel at the fact that I am pain free in the hip that bothered me for so long. Please keep us posted. God bless.

Surgery went fine. Only a couple of little bumps. Amout 8 hours after surgery they got me up and I threw up on the nurses. Did not feel it comming. Then about 3 am this morning they had to cath me to get me started. Just got back from thearpy and I may get to go home tomorrow. It will take a few weeks to get rid of walker and cane but I should do fine then.
Ross I am not near as weak as I was after OHS. However, like you said there is significant pain at the surgery site.

Thanks to all and God Bless.

Surgery went fine. Only a couple of little bumps. Amout 8 hours after surgery they got me up and I threw up on the nurses. Did not feel it comming. Then about 3 am this morning they had to cath me to get me started. Just got back from thearpy and I may get to go home tomorrow. It will take a few weeks to get rid of walker and cane but I should do fine then.
Ross I am not near as weak as I was after OHS. However, like you said there is significant pain at the surgery site.

Thanks to all and God Bless.

Great news, imagine how good you will feel this summer, with your new improved valve AND hip. Noone will be able to keep up with you

Great to hear how well it went John. I remember being very lightheaded and nauseous when they first got me up after hip surgey. I ended up being severely anemic since it is a high blood loss surgery. They gave me 2 units of blood and that did the trick. You will feel better each day.

My kids call me the 'bionic woman" with my titanium hip and new heart valve and aorta partly to tease me but also because I'm a lot more active than I used to be with my original parts. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

OK Ross you were right. It is 2:30 AM the second night after hip surgery. The shot in the back before surgery has worn off and the pain meds are not helping much. I had the aid come in and help me get into a chair. I got no sleep the first night so I layed doen about 8PM. Had to get up. I had a little fever the last time they took vitals. I am suppose to go home today. Hope the fever is not from an infection. Sure don't need that.

Latest posts

Back