Started with two but turned into more questions?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnCalderwood

I had a very hard time sleeping with the wind up alarm clocks that ticked in my room. I had to switch to digital. Is the clicking like an alarm clock that could keep me awake? Is it possible to get a pigs valve and then in ten years a mechanical? I've also heard testing is being done that hopefully will not require open heart surgery. A tube would be inserted through the leg, the valve pushed through the tube and opens in your heart. How would they remove the old faulty one? It may still be a while away though. Have heard of a mechanical that does not require the blood thinners. But once again it is not here yet.

Here are some short answers to some of your questions.

Most of us don't hear our mechanical valves most of the time.
The sound that is sometimes is more of a soft beat which many find comforting.
The sound is most prominent when in rooms with hard surfaces such as bathrooms.

Tissue Valves can be replaced by Mechanical Valves at a later date.
Mechanical Valves CAN NOT be replaced without surgery.
Catheter placed Tissue Valves are placed inside your old or original valve and then sewn (stapled?) in place.
It will be Many Years before catheter placement is done on patients able to withstand normal Open Heart or Minimally Invasive Surgery.

The On-X Mechanical Valves are in a study to determine the efficacy of NO or LOW AntiCoagulation (with Coumadin / Warfarin).
The NO Coumadin group takes either Aspirin or Plavix.
The LOW Coumadin group has an INR target range of 1.5 to 2.0 See www.heartvalvechoice.com and www.onxvalves.com There is another site that gives the details of the NO / Low AntiCoagulation Studies.

'AL Capshaw'

I had a very hard time sleeping with the wind up alarm clocks that ticked in my room. I had to switch to digital. Is the clicking like an alarm clock that could keep me awake?

I know that many here will tell you the clicking is no big deal, but I'm going to say that is can be a big deal. I had my aortic valve replaced in June 2001. When I woke up the noise from it made my head pound. It has eased over the last eight years, however I still hear it loud and clear when I'm going to sleep and as I'm waking up in the morning. There are times when it keeps me awake.

Does this mean you shouldn't get a mechanical? No. Every body is built differently, and it's very possible that you won't hear it at all. I don't know that there is an answer for your question, but you asked.

As far as the new procedures, they can currently place a tissue valve without open heart surgery, but it's only being used for people who wouldn't survive OHS.

Hope this helps.

Yes you can get a tissue (pig, cow human) valve now and then get a mechanical later. You are talking about percutaneous valve replacement. IF you go to the "new advancement" forum and type in "percutaneous" quite a few thread will come up about them including some with links to videos ect.
The old valve would be left in, the new valve is on a stent that smushes the old leaflets against the wall and stays in place like regular stents do, no sewing is needed to hold it in place.

John, As Lynn stated, you absolutely can get a tissue valve now and then get mechanical the next time around if that is the route you decide to go at that time. If you go mechanical the first time around and then decide you can't live with the ticking (assuming you can hear the ticking, which I know nothing about since I have tissue), I think it would be impossible to find a surgeon who would be willing to change it out for you.

There is a big debate about if and when the percutanous valve replacement will become available. It is a procedure that is currently being performed, but I believe it is only on people who are really too sick to be able to survive regular heart surgery. I will tell you that my surgeon at the Mayo clinic did tell me that it will become availble at some point, but did not give me a time frame.

Kim

John, I got a St. Judes mechanical aortic valve in 2/09 and have yet to hear a click, a tick or any other noise from it. Sometimes I wonder if I should be hearing it since most everyone else does. I do hear a slight thumping when in our shower, which is ceramic tile. Since most everyone does hear something, just wanted to let you know that it is possible to not hear clicking/ticking also.

Midge

John,
My wife has bionic ears and is also bothered by ticking clocks, however, she seems to have adjusted to my valve and doesn't hear it too often.
It might help you to make a pro/con list on mechanical versus tissue valves to determine what the main issue is for you i.e. ticking, re-surgery, warfarin etc. History tells us that if something can be done it usually will be done, and that test procedures now will become routine in the furture. However, as many have said on the forum, be careful of pinning your hopes on what MIGHT happen versus what is tried and proved NOW.
All the best.
Cameron

Latest posts

Back