Stairs and slopes

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juan P. Negret

Hi everybody,

Let's talk about climbing stairs and sloping terrain. I live on the Andes mountains and I cannot avoid slopes. I also live in a big city with many buildings and stairs (many times no elevator).

This week I will go back full time to my job, and everyday I will face many slopes and many stairs.

I am confused about how to handle this. I am six and a half weeks post-op. I heard someone say that one should take ONE HOUR! to climb stairs to reach a sixth floor (or equivalent slope). I think one hour is too long, but I don't want to overdo it.

Thank you for your input,

Juan

But this climbing is normal for you, so it won't be an undue strain. Your muscles are already strong enough to handle it. The only issue would be how fast. All you need to do is monitor your heart rate and breathing. If you start to get out of breath by the third floor you are going up too fast. Rest a few seconds at each landing at first in order to "tune in" to how your body is responding. One hour is ridiculous for 6 floors. That should only take minutes even at 6 weeks.

I was just starting to run again at 6 weeks. I couldn't run very long at first but I could walk several miles. It was only a matter of intensity.

4 months post-op I took a trip to Vancouver Canada and the terrain is much the same. If your not walking up-hill, your going down hill and it was tough because I wasn't used to it.

Slow and steady - baby steps, don't try taking a full stride when your on these "slopes". I would also apply this same rule when taking the stairs and monitor your heart rate and breathing. Slow and steady and you should be fine.

I agree with my mentor Jack...you are so acclimated to this terrain, you should be ok...just take your time in listening to your body...it will let you know!

What I remembered from my recovery was that although a flight of stairs was an exertion I recovered very quickly from it. 1 hour for 6 flights seems ridiculous. How long did it take before your surgery?

Stairs?

Stairs?

I would suggest using the same approach to climbing stairs and slopes that you undoubtedly used before you had OHS. When you felt like you needed a rest break before surgery you probably stopped for a breather before resuming your climb. What's confusing about this?

Opinions may vary, but there's no catch-all formula or rules that really apply equally as we recover and rehab. We're all different and proceed with the recovery stuff at different rates. If someone had told that I needed to average ten minutes per flight of stairs post-op, I would've been compelled to ask, "Just how many miles long are these flights of stairs?"

-Philip

Chris N,

Before surgery I was a good walker of the Andes slopes, walking six hours a week at a good pace. In a hurry, I could make the 6 flights of stairs in 2 minutes, but normally, 3 minutes.

Juan

Hi there,

I don't have much to add just wanted to say that is a beautiful city you live in, I have been several times but not for a couple of years, I need to get back over there. Most of my time visiting now is spent in Cali and Cartagena. Still beautiful cities but the views from Bogota are amazing.

Just take your time, carry as light a load as possible, and get a good walking stick.

After both my surgeries, I wasn't permitted to leave the hospital until I could walk a flight of stairs. Our bedroom is on the second floor of our house and I was instructed to walk the stairs as tolerated. If I could handle 3 flights on the first day, fine.

At six and half weeks out, you should be fine. Your muscles and body will remember this is what you are accustomed to doing. Listen to your body and rest as needed.

Congratulations on being ready to return to work. Best Wishes.

Latest posts

Back