Stairs after surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurad37

I am set to have PVR on 3/23/09 and was wondering how long it took some you to go up a whole flight of stairs. I am just trying to get everything in order before the big day. We have a pull out sofa in the living room that and I have read on some different ways to make it more comfy. My bedroom is upstairs (with the SOB, its hard enough to get up them now). So i was thinking I could just make the living room my bedroom for a while. But typically how long before going up a flight of stairs and I looking at for the future.

We have a two story house and I walked the stair as soon as I got home. Just do it slowly, one step at a time, and you'll be fine. Use the railing for support but don't pull yourself up.

Laura,

In my case with double valve replacement, I was allowed to to use the stairs once a day for three week...my sister did the exercise on my behalf when I needed something during the day!

I am sure your hospital will discharge you with instructions that fit your surgery.

Good luck :)

Here in the Uk it seems you're not allowed to leave hospital until you can get up a flight of their stairs. This I did I think on day 5 or 6 post operation ? I came home on day 6 and climbed our stairs slowly but surely. It was only about a week that I noticed the strain going up the stairs. Today, a couple of months on and I've just spent the last two hours walking fast up and down our very hilly coast past for several miles. You'll be surprised at how quickly you'll recover. Good luck.

Yes, UK here too and I was told to use the stairs, down then up at least three times each day in hospital once I was more mobile, certainly in less than a week.

I used to take myself off to the gardens and smell the flowers - wonderful.

i was doing stairs before leaving the hospital. they'll probably have you
as well. just follow instructions, your physio should advise you.

hope to sleep upstairs, but plan for the worst. be prepared to bed
downstairs for a week or so.

clear all the stuff off the stairs beforehand....some people have potted
plants or knick-knack shelves, etc. move that out, along with any
loose rugs. and don't let the cute puppy run around your feet as
you're climbing those stairs!

take it slow at first, have someone with you until you feel secure. you
really don't want to fall. if you do, you'll reach for something to break
your fall, and put weight on your sternum. not adviseable.

oh boy, I completly forgot about he dog following me around or jumping for a hug when I come home. Shes a border collie and is taller than I am when standing on hind legs.

How many stairs are we talking about? Exactly how many steps is a flight of stairs?

From what was told from my physio gal at the hospital; since my bedroom and bathroom are both "upstairs", her response was "take them slow and easy. Doing stairs is like a 5 to a 10 minute walk".

Granted I only have 6 steps to do, but during my recovery time it was another form of exercise.

Now unless you have a recliner that your planning on sleeping in when get home do that, but don't let the stairs scare you. I slept in my own bed from day one and I have 4 recliners - yep that's right, I wasn't thinking even to try to use them :eek:

You will see, slow and easy will be your routine for the first 10 days or more.

Good luck and relax you'll be fine.

About puppy:
Try not to have eye contact with her when you come in the door and turn your back. Sounds mean and unfair I know, but you may not be able to bring your knee up high enough to stop her from jumping on you.
Now would be a good time to practice a routine with her so when you do come home she knows how to behave.

oh boy, I completly forgot about he dog following me around or jumping for a hug when I come home. Shes a border collie and is taller than I am when standing on hind legs.

For some reason our dogs always sense when Justin comes home from surgery and are really gentle. We've had a couple different dogs after his surgeries and they all were good. Stay right with him, but really gentle. And a couple of them were over 100 pounds, so I was nervous.

Freddie is right.....start now to teach your doggie that jumping up is no longer acceptable.
Also, if you have a cat and it jumps on your chest, that could really hurt.
I moved a daybed into my office on the main floor and closed the doors when I needed quiet resting time.

I went up the stairs in my house the first day I got home from the hospital, which was 9 or 10 days post op. It was fine. I wouldn't have wanted to do it over and over, but once or twice a day was ok.

Kim

I had two OHS at Mass General four years apart and both times I had to walk a full flight of stairs before they would let me go home.

They knew I had big flights in my house and did not limit me at all. They told me to walk the stairs as much as I needed/wanted. Of course, common sense rules. Hold the banister and take it slowly.

Hi there. I was not allowed to leave hospital until I had done stairs.
I had done them by about 10 days, so when I got out at 17 days I could just about manage at home OK for getting up and going to bed.
Recliners are great for sitting and sleeping.

Lotti

In St. Paul's, Vancouver the physio has you do a flight of stairs on, I think, day 4 after surgery, and then they kick you out home on day 5 normally. I got to stay for 15 days due to an infection but when I got home I managed the 28 stairs (4 flights of 7) from basement to bedroom without much problem - slow and easy is the mantra.
Cameron

I had two OHS at Mass General four years apart and both times I had to walk a full flight of stairs before they would let me go home.

They knew I had big flights in my house and did not limit me at all. They told me to walk the stairs as much as I needed/wanted. Of coure, common sense rules. Hold the banister and take it slowly.

Golly, do you live in a mansion or something - you have big flights of stairs in your home? LOL..

We don't have any stairs in our house (little bungalow all one level) but even so, I had to show that I could walk up and down a flight of stairs before I could leave hospital.
Judging by the responses on here this seems to be standard practice.
Laura, good luck. I think you will be fine.

Bridgette:)

Climbing stairs prior to discharge

Climbing stairs prior to discharge

This is the first I've heard about stair climbing while still hospitalized. Good for you. I didn't know it was required at some hospitals. It sounds like a good idea though. I was home for a week before I felt comfortable enough to attempt it for the first time.

Latest posts

Back