St Judes Regent Valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadh

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
All-

I just met with my Surgeon, and he strongly recommends using the St. Jude's Regent series heart valve for my Aortic Stenosis. He has done over 1000 of these surgerys, board certified and in the top 5% of Surgeons for this proceedure. That is awesome, but just wondering how folks that have that mechanical valve are doing with is. I truly wanted the On-X, but after speaking in depth with him, I really felt comfortable with the St. Jude's. He did say he would be willing to do the On-X, so I didn't feel like he was totally pushing the St. Jude's. He said he approaches every patient as though they are family and his recommendations are based upon what he would tell him mother or brother. My surgery is going to be November, probably around the 9th. Thanks everyone!!!

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Regent which was introduced shortly after the On-X Valves came out.

For starters, it does NOT have a barrier to retard Pannus Tissue Growth.

One of our members wrote a post saying her? blood was "blenderized" by her Regent, causing damage to the Red Blood Cells (Hemolysis).
(Do an Advanced Search for keyword "blenderized", then scroll down the options page and select "Any Date" to find that post)

Apparently there were some 'issues' implanting that valve before surgeons discovered how to do it properly. There was an article which detailed the problem published in one of the Medical Journals (which I have read). I haven't heard of those particular issues in a while so I *assume* whatever changes they made in the implantation technique have worked.

As I have noted before, sometimes Surgeon Selection is also tantamount to Valve Selection.
If you want a particular valve (or procedure) it is best to find a surgeon who has experience with that valve or procedure. FYI, Dr. Pettersson at Cleveland Clinic is the most prolific user of the ON-X valves at CC.

I read that OLD report from Norway and that small trio of ding-dong surgeons did NOT use the correct sewing technique when installing the valve. My surgeon is totally meticulous and would never install a mediocre product.

Regent?

Regent?

I originally thought I received a St. Jude Regent, but a quick check indicates my valve is a St. Jude Masters Series. My Masters Series works just fine.

On-X valves do have some research backing which indicates that the devices do less damage to red blood cells than other mechanical valves.

The term "blenderized" sounds pretty dramatic when referring to the damage a valve can do to red blood cells. I don't think my blood has ever been blenderized, but then again, my valve is a Master Series.

Both On-X and St. Jude have good track records.

-Philip

The St. Jude Master's Series Valve has evolved over 30 years of service with a good track record for durability.

I like the technological advancements offered by the On-X Valves.
For my Second Choice and Back-up Plan I like the St. Jude Master's Series Valves.

I have had my st jude's aortic valve for 9 years and I can be as active as I am willing to be. I am on coumdin/warafin daily, but it is not a henderance. You can do this also. There are things you can keep doing with the st jude's valve. Good luck.

Hi,

Having just gone through my 2nd aortic valve replacement, I thought I would add my thoughts on your question.

I had a St Judes mechancial aortic valve for 10 1/2 years. it had to be replaced due to aortic stenosis, (Pannus tissue growth), with was forming right under the valve and was causing a narrowing aorta restricting the blood flow from the heart into the valve. Normal aortic opening of my aortic artery prior to the valve should have been 1.8 cm, mine was 0.4 cm. Also the pannus tissue was starting to interfer with the openning and closing of the St Judes bi-lieflets of the mechanical valve. This is a very serious and deadly issue. The valve could get stuck in either the open or closed position.

About 5 weeks ago I had to have the valve replaced and the pannus removed. Dr. Petterrson, of CCF, installed the On-X Valve. He mentioned to me that it is the only one he recommends these days. But, 10 years ago, he was a St Judes guy. Here are 2 reasons for this choice. 1, (as Al mentioned above), this valve has a built in barrier, or sleeve that can either retard, or prevent pannus tissue from building up around the valve openning. 2, The valve itself, has a larger ID which will allow for increased blood flow when compared with a different mfg valve of equal size.

I also interviewed with a sugeon locally, prior to going to CCF, and he recommended the St Judes Regent, mostly because it is the newest from St Judes. On-X, on the other hand, has taken the valve design to another level in my opinion. They actually have designed a valve that can reduce Pannus tissue from being an issue. Since I have proven that I DO have a pannus tissue issue, then the best valve selection for me was to select one that helps prevent or restrain pannus growth from effecting my health.

They alll say mechanacal valves with last a life-time. That is probably a true statement, BUT... what they don't tell you is that if you are prone to aortic stenosis, scar tissue or pannus, and this happens to build up under the valve, then most likely you will begin having issues within 10 years.

Just my thoughts, tried St Judes once, thought I was good for life, and now I have replaced that with the On-X,and I feel real good about it. So... let's see if I get more than 10 years out of my new heart valve due to their newer advanced design.

Good luck with your selection process. Hope I didn't muddy the waters, just thought that my own personal experience with this may be worth sharing.

Wish you good health,

Rob

I read that OLD report from Norway and that small trio of ding-dong surgeons did NOT use the correct sewing technique when installing the valve. My surgeon is totally meticulous and would never install a mediocre product.

The Norwegian Surgeons were not the only ones to have had early failures using that valve.

Another member posted a discussion from a Website for Cardiothoracic Surgeons where this problem was discussed. As I understand it, the issue was that with sufficient compression to the supporting ring, the Leaflets of that valve could become Impinged, i.e. they became Locked in Position. Not long after that posting, that discussion became 'inaccessable'. Since we have several members who are doing just fine with their similar valves, I *assume* that surgeons (and the manufacturer) have figured out how to implant that valve without incurring this 'issue'.

Hi,

In my case, and opinion, my surgeon has installed over 150 On-X valves on patients. I think he must have it right to keep on recommending and using the On-X valve.

Rob

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Regent which was introduced shortly after the On-X Valves came out.

For starters, it does NOT have a barrier to retard Pannus Tissue Growth.

One of our members wrote a post saying her? blood was "blenderized" by her Regent, causing damage to the Red Blood Cells (Hemolysis).
(Do an Advanced Search for keyword "blenderized", then scroll down the options page and select "Any Date" to find that post)

Apparently there were some 'issues' implanting that valve before surgeons discovered how to do it properly. There was an article which detailed the problem published in one of the Medical Journals (which I have read). I haven't heard of those particular issues in a while so I *assume* whatever changes they made in the implantation technique have worked.

As I have noted before, sometimes Surgeon Selection is also tantamount to Valve Selection.
If you want a particular valve (or procedure) it is best to find a surgeon who has experience with that valve or procedure. FYI, Dr. Pettersson at Cleveland Clinic is the most prolific user of the ON-X valves at CC.

Sorry, but it sounds like you're a shill for On-X. Unless you have had personal experience with the Regent, or are a doctor, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to say you're "not a fan" of it. I don't know much about the Regent to be perfectly honest, but I don't think it's right to push so hard for one valve. I'm sure the On-X is a great valve but everyone's situation is different.

Fan?

Fan?

I don't think one has to have personal experience with something to be a fan. Part of the personal experience thing could be the fact that we often research things and develop opinions as a result. Personally, I like the research associated with On-X and would've opted to have one implanted if it had been available with specifications that suited my needs.

I'm without a doubt, I'm an On-X fan even though I'm perfectly happy with my St. Jude. Probably one of the best things we do here is encourage people to do further research and think about issues they might not otherwise consider. If Al's commentary encourages others to investigate further, I don't see that as a bad thing.

-Philip

I don't think one has to have personal experience with something to be a fan. Part of the personal experience thing could be the fact that we often research things and develop opinions as a result. Personally, I like the research associated with On-X and would've opted to have one implanted if it had been available with specifications that suited my needs.

I'm without a doubt, I'm an On-X fan even though I'm perfectly happy with my St. Jude. Probably one of the best things we do here is encourage people to do further research and think about issues they might not otherwise consider. If Al's commentary encourages others to investigate further, I don't see that as a bad thing.

-Philip

I agree that one should investigate all valves. The last thing I wish to do is pick an internet fight, it's just that some people (myself included) and some surgeons prefer to go with the tried-and-true, and there is nothing wrong with that, either.

My thought is that all valves will have both pros and cons BUT THERE IS ONE IMPORTANT FACTOR that should be considered and that is the surgeons comfort in his ability to use one over the other and if a patient is told the surgeon is MORE COMFORTABLE using one over the other if you want to go against his/her advice then switch surgeons...

Chad, I know that you are feeling anxious about your surgery in a couple of weeks, but please don't let this valve banter on your thread make you more anxious or doubting your surgeon's suggestions.
Your surgeon choice and valve choice is between YOU and your surgeon.
Some members here have had re-ops due to issues which have included almost every type of valve; and some other members are walking around for decades with valves that were discontinued.
We just never know for sure. Everything in life has an element of risk.
Have the surgery and enjoy your new life.:smile2:

Hi Chad - Best wishes for a successful surgery and recovery :) And if you're concerned about some of the experiences mentioned here, maybe you could ask or email your surgeon about "if" or "how often" he's possibly seen the hemolysis or the pannus issues develop with the Regents valve.

Latest posts

Back