St. Jude Mechanical Valves

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorraine

I have a question. I hope it doesn't seem silly. A while back I was reading an article that stated it was possible for mechanical valves to set off the metal detectors at the airport? Can some of you who have had St. Jude Mechganical Valves put in, and have taken a plane, tell me if this is true or not. Since I'm flying t Nashville on Oct 11, I want to know what can expect when I get to the airport. I know things will be delayed as it is. I just want to know if I'm going to be detained because of the valves. I would appreciate all replys.

Mechanical Valves in Airports

Mechanical Valves in Airports

Did you ever ask the manufacturer (St Jude) to provide you with an ID card that gives proof of your implant including serial/registration number of your valve, date of surgery, place, etc.

I have not beeped going through security and one time before I went through the scanner< I went up to a security guard who was there with a hand-held device, showed him my card, and he did the electronic frisk and off I went.

By the way, I also always let flight attendants know that I have a mechanical valve implant when I board the plane. Don't really have an explanation for this, but it did once get me several extra bags of peanuts.

See ya in Nashville!

Thanks Bob,

Yes, I carry that card with me at all times. I did plan on automatically telling them before I went through the detector that I had 2 mechanical valves. If yours didn't beep, mine probably shouldn't either. That makes me feel better. Hey, never thought about telling the flight attendants! :D :cool: I will do that. We'll see you in Nashville! By the way, my birthday is two days before yours. So we should have a toast together! See you then!

Hi

Have been on many a flight since my surgery....no problem with my valve. It is titanium.

Although, patients with pacemakers do have issues with security and setting of the detectors. Must be made of different material and or the pacemakers are closer to the surface of the skin. Not sure, in any case you should not have a problem with air travel in regard to your valve.

Hope to see you in Nashville

Lorraine
I have a St Judes Mitral Valve, and since having it fitted I have flown quite extensively Internationally as part of my occupation.
I wondered too about the detectors, but they were never activated by the valve. The probable reason is because the valve is not made of metal, I am told it is a man made material similar to carbon fibre??
I wear a neck chain with a medic alert medallion, that notes the taking of Warfarin, and the mechanical valve.
Cheers Dave

Go ahead and set off the alarm!

Go ahead and set off the alarm!

I'll go along with Dave's response, but I'm still curious as I haven't yet flown since surgery +1-1/2 years ago. Going to Florida for Christmas this year.

I'd actually kind of "enjoy" setting off the alarm. Then I'd produce my St. Judes' ID and show my bracelet, etc. My only worry is I hope they'd ask first then shoot!

In the meantime, I think we should get the "official" answer from St. Jude's Medical. Perhaps someone already has? I will send them an e-mail as soon as I'm done here and then post their reply.

Cheers!

I thank you for the replys. I feel so much better! PerryA, so you want to set of the alarms, huh? Actually I had the same mental thought myself. First walk through, if the alarms go off, hopefully they don't shoot, and then yuou whip out your card!:D Then I decided to write the forum because that way I wouldn't be nervous, if they pulled me aside. Before two weeks ago I probably wouldn't have been nervous. Now, I wouldn't wanting them jumping the gun, no pun intended! Since you're going to write perryA, let me know what they say. Thanks! See you all in Nashville!

Lorraine

Hi Everyone,

I fly on my job on a weekly basis and have never once set off the metal detectors with my St Judes valve. Even when they scan me with the wand it does not go off.

I don't think anyone will set off the alarm if they have a mechanical heart valve. If they have decibal meters... we may set them off with our ticking.. hehehehe... Just kidding..

Rob

Time Bombs?

Time Bombs?

Wow, we really could set off some alarms if airport security added audio listening devices technology to the scanners?

Here's one for good ears: I returned to work two weeks post-op. I was reviewing a project with a co-worker who still had her ear-plugs in place as she had just come into my office from the production floor. She asked "what's that clicking sound?" and also asked me if I had a new watch!

Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!

Reply from St. Judes

Reply from St. Judes

Here's the reply from SJM:

Dear Mr. Anderson,

Thank you for your email. I understand your concern. To date, we have over 1,000,000 implants worldwide. The St. Jude Medical mechanical valve is regarded as the gold standard of mechanical valves today. It is the most widely implanted mechanical valve in the world. It has two leaflets which regulate the flow of blood in one direction. These leaflets and the ring which contains them are made of pyrolytic carbon. Pyrolytic carbon is a black substance much like a diamond. Pyrolytic carbon is ideal for use in prosthetic heart valves because of its hardness, strength, durability and resistance to the adherence of blood components. The valve is surrounded by a fluffy polyester cuff which is used to attach the valve to your heart tissue. Therefore, the detector will not go off at the airport. However, if you have metal sternal wires, this could set the detector off.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Kaaren Jaksha
Marketing Services Coordinator
St. Jude Medical, Inc.
[email protected]

Latest posts

Back