Sports and excercise after AVR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarno1973

I am 38 years old and 15 weeks after AVR, received a St jude Biocore tissue valve. Everything seemed to have gone fine and I almost feel like nothing has ever happened. Only my fitness is not 100% back yet.

The furthest I have been running is about 2.5 km. I initially started out with walking, once I could walk for hours I wanted to step it up but running seemed to be a big step from just walking and the doctor had told me to limit the heart rate. I did some cycling instead which is an excercise with which the heart rate can be very easily controlled by just changing your speed and the intensity of the work out.

My hobbies are Muay thai and Motocross which were also part of the reason that I did not want a mechanical valve and be on warfarin for a long time. At the 3 months mark the doctor took me of warfarin and now I am only on asperin and some fluid pills. At this point the doctor told me I could start boxing and there would not be much need anymore to limit the heart rate. He did however tell me not to get any impact like punches on my body etc. He also told me not to ride motocross for a year. This is actually the part that most bothers me. I expected to make a slow start back on the bike as soon as I felt up for it and was free of warfarin.

I really feel I am ready to start riding but dont want to go in against doctors advice. My next visit is in December at which I will ask my doctor if this year will really be neccesary. Meanwhile I would like to ask about other people's experiences and ideas. I can imagine that falling over and having impact on the body would not be preferred but would that happening now or over a year really be any different?

Regards,

Jarno

Hi Jarno, it is wise to follow your Doctor's guidelines for the first few months or year until you get the all clear.
You may want to also check out our section on the Forums titled:
Active Lifestyles and Cardiac Rehabilitation

I would suggest you ask your doctor WHY you have to wait. You are pretty well healed by now. Bring this up in Decemebr and have a good discussion with your doctor...challenge him to make sense of the restrictions.

Thanks for the replies so far. I have looked at the other sections as well and found some useful information. One thing that was also discussed was excercising with weights. Most was in regards to mechanical valvers though. I would also like to know how this applies to me. Is there any significant difference in this regard for mechanical and tissue valve recipients?

I hazard a guess that the concern is the healing breastbone, as well as the healing of muscles and nerves across the breastbone, and allowing time for the heart to fully re-model.

I know it took 6 months or more before the aches and nerve pain in my chest went away after surgery #1.

I've had a second surgery, and now, 14 months later, I still get a tad achy in the chest/breastbone area after working out with weights or on the elliptical with all the arm movement.

At 15 weeks post surgery, I'd make haste more slowly. It really DOES take your body a full year to recover.

I don't know how long it takes your heart to remodel after surgery, but I think it's closer to 6 to 12 months than just 3 or 4. That's probably why your doctor wanted you to limit the extreme exertion of motorcross, plus the risk of injury to a freshly healed broken breastbone in the event of a fall or collision.

Thanks for the replies so far. I have looked at the other sections as well and found some useful information. One thing that was also discussed was excercising with weights. Most was in regards to mechanical valvers though. I would also like to know how this applies to me. Is there any significant difference in this regard for mechanical and tissue valve recipients?

Hi jarno,

I believe that there is no direct answer to your question. For example.. It not because folks that have mechanical valves cannot lift heavy weights. That is false. You really have to know the reason for the mechanical valve, or for that matter, any valve.
You need to ask.. What was the reason for your valve replacement. Does this reason prevent future peak sport activity?

If a person had an aneurysm, or a dissection, then they should NOT be doing any heavy lifting with weights... unless that is, that they have a death wish.

On the other hand, if someone did elect to have a mechanical valve, and have to take Coumadin, they too have to deterimine how much risk is in the sport. Severe shocks to the body, or a high risk of getting cut, may have an effect on how risky someone wants to participate in an activity. They may have to cut back on the intensity level of a sport they used to participate in.

From your post, I would expect you to regain 100% of your prior activity level one year from surgery. Take it slow, as you recover, keep giving yourself new goals, and above all, follow your doctors orders regarding your workout intensity schedule.

Rob

Thanks for the anwers...the message seems to be to take it easy..which is understandable...I guess I am still as impatient as I was before surgery...I will try to follow the advice though...

Sawadi Kap. They are worried about your sternum and the attaching muscles. My doctors said six months and I could go back to anything involving impacts... in my case skiing... or rather falling and crashing.

Sawadi Kap. They are worried about your sternum and the attaching muscles. My doctors said six months and I could go back to anything involving impacts... in my case skiing... or rather falling and crashing.

Hi Gordo..

Seems like you have been in Thailand...i will tell my doctor about what your doctor told you and hope to be good to go in a few months.

Latest posts

Back